• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ISU (Bird) game thread

Might as well get it started

http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/col...cc4c002e0.html

Re: ISU (Bird) game thread

Pretty solid article they wrote up there. I'm with their coach from watching that game last year, ISU didn't look like they even wanted to step foot on that field, much less play football. I think we see a much different team mentality from them this year since we wont have a blizzard to take their minds off of the game. I still think we SHOULD handle them, but like filbert said in another thread, never underestimate a conference opponent, especially one like these guys who seem to be improving vastly from their first games this season.
    Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

I'm encouraged by the fact that they run the spread offense, like GSU, so we've seen it before already this year. You also have to assume that they won't have the same kinds of athletes that GSU has to run the spread. Take away their running game, force them to throw even more than they might otherwise and tackle those quick outs for short gains.

But of course it's a conference game and anything can happen. I expect our defense to set the tone and the offense to solid and efficient, as usual.
      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

After watching the GSU game, I don't think our defense has to worry that much about the spread offense. I think our team speed matches up quite well now, in fact I am not sure that GSU had a speed advantage.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
          After watching the GSU game, I don't think our defense has to worry that much about the spread offense. I think our team speed matches up quite well now, in fact I am not sure that GSU had a speed advantage.
          I agree. And several of the GSU fans who were at the game posted on their board that SDSU seemed like the faster team.
          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

31-10 Jacks

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
              I agree. And several of the GSU fans who were at the game posted on their board that SDSU seemed like the faster team.
              Not only were we even (or at least close to even) with their speed at individual positions, our defense was swarming very well. That's the best way to play D, tackle the ball carrier with 6 guys at once with 5 more just in case.

If we keep that up, the Defense will be very good at preventing plays from breaking for big yards.

Comment

Jacks should handle ISU birds fairly easily because we are the better team. However, it is the first road game and they will be looking for the big plays. I see us running the ball fairly easily and Crawford isn't going to make many mistakes. Pete will make FG's and the defense will hold them down. Maybe they'll hit for a big strike or two but we'll be more steady. I think 27-13 might be about right. I'd like to see us blow them out but we are on the road and its always tougher to be away from home.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                  I'd like to see us blow them out but we are on the road and its always tougher to be away from home.
                  Even tougher when you are going by bus rather than charter flight.

Comment

30-27 Jacks in OT

Comment

Good article in the Pantograph -- especially the line about one team embracing the weather. Berry was fabulous and the receivers were almost too good to be true that day. How they could catch in those conditions?

This year we'll see an ISU ready to play at home and they'll rise to the occasion but, unfortunately for the home team, the occasion still favors the Jacks: 17-0 final.

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
                        30-27 Jacks in OT
                        Oofffta I hope its not that close , but since I've about had enough of the UNI fans on AGS beating their drums after a few games beating up on mediocre teams and complaining when someone thinks it will be close that I could just about puke, I will say that heck it could happen, we don't know how good ISU is until we play them
                        Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                          Oofffta I hope its not that close , but since I've about had enough of the UNI fans on AGS beating their drums after a few games beating up on mediocre teams and complaining when someone thinks it will be close that I could just about puke, I will say that heck it could happen, we don't know how good ISU is until we play them
                          My reasoning is this. You are better than that obviously, but as we all know we don't play well every week. This might (might not) be the week, and if you get a road win not playing well, I will say it again, that's the sign of a good team. Good luck.

I hope you beat them worse than that. Just trying to predict the week where you don't play up to par.

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
                            My reasoning is this. You are better than that obviously, but as we all know we don't play well every week. This might (might not) be the week, and if you get a road win not playing well, I will say it again, that's the sign of a good team. Good luck.

I hope you beat them worse than that. Just trying to predict the week where you don't play up to par.
                            If we had to have a bad week, this would be a good time to have it. But I just don't see it happening. We have a lot of senior leadership along with some really experienced younger players. Anybody think Kyle Minett is intimidated by ISU? Or by their fans? How about Danny Batten? Jimmy Rogers? I don't think so.

Yes, it's a conference game and the intensity should be greater. That just feeds into what our team does best. We play swarming defense. And we play efficient offense. Meanwhile, ISU is relying on a new offense (the spread) that we've already seen this year. I'm guessing GSU has better athletes to run the spread. And the birds have a defense that gave up 31 points in their only game against a decent FCS opponent.

The Jackrabbits will win by 14 or more.
                            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Redbird take on the MoValley coaches interviews

http://www.pantagraph.com/app/blogs/...4253#more-4253

Stig's comments on the ISU Red.

Comment

Working...
                              X