SDSU breaks season ticket record

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SDSU breaks season ticket record

I found it interesting hearing that Augie has sold 2064 season tickets this year which is about the same and maybe a little more than SDSU sold.

http://www.keloland.com/sports/newsd...cfm?Id=0,90039

Comment

They also have a new stadium...
      Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

... and are located in city of about 6x the population.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

And only had 4000 people take in the game last Saturday...
          "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
            And only had 4000 people take in the game last Saturday...
            Jacks put 12,000+ in the stands in a community of 20,000.

Auggie put 4,000 in the stands in a community of 140,000 or so.

GBGBGJ

Comment

I don't think we have anything to be jealous of Augie of. They have a stadium that is perfect for them and their community.

Actually, their season ticket total is a testament to lowering the number of available seats. At Howard Wood they were lucky to get 3000 to attend. Now, with less seating available people know they just can't walk up and get a ticket. The exact same reason why SDSU should build nothing bigger than 13,000 with capability to expand when necessary.
              "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
              -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by EQguy View Post
                I don't think we have anything to be jealous of Augie of. They have a stadium that is perfect for them and their community.

Actually, their season ticket total is a testament to lowering the number of available seats. At Howard Wood they were lucky to get 3000 to attend. Now, with less seating available people know they just can't walk up and get a ticket. The exact same reason why SDSU should build nothing bigger than 13,000 with capability to expand when necessary.
                I guarantee whatever SDSU builds it will be much larger than 13,000!

Comment

Originally posted by EQguy View Post

I disagree with the concept of building a sports facility small enough to sell out every time. I live over 350 miles away. I cannot attend every game. If I cannot get a ticket to attend when I do get a chance to cross the state and see my Jackrabbits play I will have to stop coming, and SO WILL MY CHECKS!
                  Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

just wanted to put a little perspective on this... you are talking about worrying about the day you can't get a walk up ticket to SDSU football in a 13K+ facility...

Oh what a problem to have

Comment

So I drove by Augie's stadium again today, and the west side is pretty impressive.

Build the west side on both sides in Brookings with a horseshoe under the scoreboard, and I think you would have over 15K capacity. And a very intimidating venue for visiting teams (the whole stands are right on top of the field).
                      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                        So I drove by Augie's stadium again today, and the west side is pretty impressive.

Build the west side on both sides in Brookings with a horseshoe under the scoreboard, and I think you would have over 15K capacity. And a very intimidating venue for visiting teams (the whole stands are right on top of the field).
                        I was thinking more building the stands with a horseshoe tying into the DC and leaving the south side open towards campus and the scoreboard. That helps with the north wind late in the season and still keeps a view of campus.

Comment

Originally posted by West-River_Jack View Post
                          I disagree with the concept of building a sports facility small enough to sell out every time. I live over 350 miles away. I cannot attend every game. If I cannot get a ticket to attend when I do get a chance to cross the state and see my Jackrabbits play I will have to stop coming, and SO WILL MY CHECKS!
                          Scarcity can drive demand. Less walk up tickets, more guaranteed sales. I've said it before, I'd rather see a venue almost or totally full on average like Frost will be in the next year or two than a stadium that has too much capacity. Also not a good return on investment.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks99 View Post
                            Scarcity can drive demand. Less walk up tickets, more guaranteed sales. I've said it before, I'd rather see a venue almost or totally full on average like Frost will be in the next year or two than a stadium that has too much capacity. Also not a good return on investment.
                            Agreed, you build something reasonable 13-15,000 seats, some luxury boxes, work hard to sell a larger number of corporate seats, season tickets and have the ability to expand if needed/indicated. Now, with the attendance requirements for FBS (16,000 plus per game) that won't be feasible if we aspire to move up to that level in the future.
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

We've not made it to 2000 Season Tix holders, and we're talking about 16-20K stadiums?

IMHO, we need more Season Tix holders, and purchasers of the "luxury suites" and then we can add the capacity for the walk-up fans.

Ultimately, we need to get to a competitive advantage over the potential rivals to host play-off games, so a capacity of 18-20K looks good.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                                We've not made it to 2000 Season Tix holders, and we're talking about 16-20K stadiums?

IMHO, we need more Season Tix holders, and purchasers of the "luxury suites" and then we can add the capacity for the walk-up fans.

Ultimately, we need to get to a competitive advantage over the potential rivals to host play-off games, so a capacity of 18-20K looks good.
                                This how I see it too, rep points given. I hope the engineering studies are wrong and that the west stands may last 20 years instead of 10, as we need that much time. I just hope we got some good thinkers and talkers who are going to maximize both large and small gifts in reaching the goals of funds needed.

As far as season ticket holders, it was so embarrassing in the past that they seldom if ever released the total number. We made progress, but we got a long ways to go. That also goes back to the quality of the product on the field. Quality is much better than under our last years in D2 and again, its a bigger investment in the football program that makes it so.

I am repeating myself. Building facilities is and was never a popular topic as often its some form of tax revenue that is to pay the construction bill. The old guys here all remember Staduim for State, the one that yielded the imcomplete seating of CAS and the code violating east stands. It was SDSU first attempt to raise funds for a facility. It was not popular and it stalled and even the students voted down an assessment three times. If the assessment would have passed, the east sides and many other features would have happened. Despite the unpopularity of the issue, students pledge their money towards the staduim. About 9 per cent came from students and they as a group exceeded what the faculty pledged. VJ did a beautiful job of documenting this saga in College on The Hill.

Comment

Working...
                                X