Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Starting QB

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
    Each of the QB's brought a variety of talents to the table. Measuring Crawford by how he did in SPRING ball is reflective of an INJURIED, but recovering QB. With an added 4 months, Ryan brings a maturity and experience with the SDSU system that can't be matched by the other 3 QB's. He'll demonstrate that he's the man, or Stig will use one of the others. We're deep at QB, and just need them to compete hard to keep the job.

Welcome to the board. Reasoned opinions respected. Swearing to make the point isn't. Warning 1.
    no i feel ya on the swearing ish, but i guess we will just have to see what happens. Im sure every QB will get there chance at some point, but for real who predicted crawford getting the starting job? i mean honeslty i think it was a bit of a surprise to everyone, and i do think there is a bit of politics involved. Idk im only making a big deal for the sake of the team. If they lose 2 or 3 games right off the bat, i would hope Stig can realize that there needs to be changes made. Idk i just feel the only reason he got the job is cuz he has been here for 4 years or whatever, not because he is the best QB. but i guess Sep. 12th will show us what we need to know

Comment

Originally posted by Jedi Incognito View Post
      no i feel ya on the swearing ish, but i guess we will just have to see what happens. Im sure every QB will get there chance at some point, but for real who predicted crawford getting the starting job? i mean honeslty i think it was a bit of a surprise to everyone, and i do think there is a bit of politics involved. Idk im only making a big deal for the sake of the team. If they lose 2 or 3 games right off the bat, i would hope Stig can realize that there needs to be changes made. Idk i just feel the only reason he got the job is cuz he has been here for 4 years or whatever, not because he is the best QB. but i guess Sep. 12th will show us what we need to know
      Yea, on Sept 12 we'll find out that Ryan is going to be just fine this year and that your man crush ("OB") is in the perfect position (the sideline) to get set up for a great career.

Comment

The only thing I'd add is that the starting QB position was not decided on the results of the spring game.
        "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
        -Leo Rosten

Comment

i do think there is a bit of politics involved.
          (Recognizing that many of us, from time-to-time, form an opinion without any basis in fact, I'm wondering: ) Do you have any facts to support such a claim? What do you know that others may not know about the quarterback selection?

Idk im only making a big deal for the sake of the team. If they lose 2 or 3 games right off the bat, i would hope Stig can realize that there needs to be changes made.
          I admire the altruism...but your statement suggests you think the coaches were not acting for the sake of team. Who or what were the coaches thinking about if their decision was not for the sake of the team? (By the way, do you recall the first 2 or 3 games in each of the past three seasons? Just curious. I'm glad the fans, me included, didn't have input on quarterback selection. )

Comment

Originally posted by Danger41 View Post
            Yea, on Sept 12 we'll find out that Ryan is going to be just fine this year and that your man crush ("OB") is in the perfect position (the sideline) to get set up for a great career.
            but the fact of the matter is he wont be fine. I have no problem with craw don't get me wrong he is a good athlete and quarterback but i don't think he will perform up to the standards that the younger quarterbacks would. If he does good, great, as long as the jacks win games it will be fine. But if he messes things up. i guess im gonna be the guy to say i told u so

Comment

but the fact of the matter is he wont be fine.
              I'm really interested in knowing your facts. You suggest you have some inside track to knowing what's going on. In your first post, you state you watched the game film from the spring game. I doubt many people outside of the team and the coaches would have watched the game film of a spring game.

Comment

My 2 cents.

Back when Wes Beshorner (I have no idea how to spell that last name) graduated, the USD coaches had to make a choice on his replacement. Carter Black, a guy who had been with the the program 3 years (I believe he was a red shirt junior at the beginning of the next season) or Noah Shepherd a guy who had 1 red shirt year behind him. Going into that season, they gave the job to Carter Black. But after Black struggled, they started rotating QB's. Once it was obvious that Noah was easily the better quarterback he won the full time job.

I have faith that if the coaches feel the need for change, they will make the change, just like the coaches did at USD. And if they don't think there is a need for change, then they won't make it.
                Originally posted by JackFan96
                Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

but the fact of the matter is he wont be fine. I have no problem with craw don't get me wrong he is a good athlete and quarterback but i don't think he will perform up to the standards that the younger quarterbacks would. If he does good, great, as long as the jacks win games it will be fine. But if he messes things up. i guess im gonna be the guy to say i told u so
                  Gee if you know everything, why not just make you the head coach at SDSU?

I talked to Stig about this extensively the day after the decision was made and the coaches are very confident in Crawford's ability under center. People tend to forget that he battled with Berry and Burkhardt a few years ago after Kardos left.

Please tell me how, according to you and your facts, that he won't be fine? He hasn't played this year yet! A lot has changed since the spring game, including Ryan's wrist completely healing.

Also, I asked Stig if the decision was for the year or just for the Georgia Southern game and here is exactly what I was told

While Crawford will be under center in the opener, a lot of things can change throughout the year, even as early as the "first quarter" in the Georgia Southern game, said Stiegelmeier.

"I don't say that with any threat or pressure on Ryan. I don't say that with any joking approach," Steigelmeier said. "That's our philosophy.

"If you have a guy that goes in and something isn't going right or he's injured, you can't stick your head in the sand," he said. "You owe it to the football team to do anything you can to win football games.

"If Ryan does what he believe he can do, he (will be the starter). He's got to do that," Stiegelmeier said. "He hasn't had the opportunity yet."

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
                    Gee if you know everything, why not just make you the head coach at SDSU?

I talked to Stig about this extensively the day after the decision was made and the coaches are very confident in Crawford's ability under center. People tend to forget that he battled with Berry and Burkhardt a few years ago after Kardos left.

Please tell me how, according to you and your facts, that he won't be fine? He hasn't played this year yet! A lot has changed since the spring game, including Ryan's wrist completely healing.

Also, I asked Stig if the decision was for the year or just for the Georgia Southern game and here is exactly what I was told
                    ohhh so you "personally" talked to stig..looks like this guys the one with the info from the inside. But really thats a bunch of bull****. Im predicting craws performance this year on what ive seen from film and games in the past. and that is average to below average at most. His spring game performance was despicable. I mean for having supposed to know the offense that well, u would think he would atleast complete some passes. Now im not a maven when it comes to jackrabbit football, but im smarter enough to realize that most of the people on here are full of s.hit.

Comment

ohhh so you "personally" talked to stig..looks like this guys the one with the info from the inside. But really thats a bunch of bull****. Im predicting craws performance this year on what ive seen from film and games in the past. and that is average to below average at most. His spring game performance was despicable. I mean for having supposed to know the offense that well, u would think he would atleast complete some passes. Now im not a maven when it comes to jackrabbit football, but im smarter enough to realize that most of the people on here are full of ****.
                      Yep, I did personally talk to Stig. I talk to Stig basically every week during the football season.

People forget that Crawford was always, ALWAYS, going to be the starter this year until he got injured against NDSU. If that injury doesn't happen, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Comment

ohhh so you "personally" talked to stig..looks like this guys the one with the info from the inside. But really thats a bunch of bull****. Im predicting craws performance this year on what ive seen from film and games in the past. and that is average to below average at most. His spring game performance was despicable. I mean for having supposed to know the offense that well, u would think he would atleast complete some passes. Now im not a maven when it comes to jackrabbit football, but im smarter enough to realize that most of the people on here are full of s.hit.
                        "Smarter" enough?

Hoist by his own petard.

Warning number 2 coming in 3... 2... 1...

(As an aside: If you're someone who has been affiliated with the program, past or present -- which I doubt -- do you realize that you're insulting the fans here? These are pretty serious fans on this site: fans who give piles of money to support the program; fans who support the student athletes through thick and thin; fans who show up and make CAS a special place to play on Saturdays. Are you sure you want to go there? This is a fan site. People have opinions, and most are wise enough to express them without the profanity and without personal attacks. I would just suggest that you step back from the brink and make your argument rationally. Nobody's suggesting you don't have a right to your opinion. It's how you're saying it that isn't helpful.)
                        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Always the teacher JJ
                          "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                          -Leo Rosten

Comment

No matter what Stig's opinion is, it is obvious not every coach in America would have decided to keep O'Brien at 2. I think many of us have seen enough to say O'Brien is in a different league when it comes to talent and potential. Even if there are still some signs of being a freshman, if you watch college football you do see coaches taking a chance by giving the ball to their stud. Other coaches like to play it on the safe side and play the guy they know will be able to manage drives with a smaller chance for mistakes. I don't think anyone would be surprised that Stig would fall into the second category. Personally, I would have loved to see O'Brien against Georgia Southern but I am excited to see what Crawford can do at the helm.

Comment

Chill. Try to demonstrate you can argue without coming across as an ass.

Behave or be gone.
                              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                                "Smarter" enough?

Hoist by his own petard.

Warning number 2 coming in 3... 2... 1...

(As an aside: If you're someone who has been affiliated with the program, past or present -- which I doubt -- do you realize that you're insulting the fans here? These are pretty serious fans on this site: fans who give piles of money to support the program; fans who support the student athletes through thick and thin; fans who show up and make CAS a special place to play on Saturdays. Are you sure you want to go there? This is a fan site. People have opinions, and most are wise enough to express them without the profanity and without personal attacks. I would just suggest that you step back from the brink and make your argument rationally. Nobody's suggesting you don't have a right to your opinion. It's how you're saying it that isn't helpful.)
                                actually i am a fan of the program, and I am aquainted with many of the players. However, i am not a fan of coach stig's QB choice. Is that a crime? Not really, i am just stating an opinion and all you jack fans who live on here and have no life seem to take it personally, and i find that hilarious and pretty pathetic. One person comes in and states an opinion instantly all the jackrabbit forum d.i.ckryders come storming in to save the day. ya'll need to recognize that u are just on stig's side to show your pride for the program. In reality on sep. 12 you are gonna be sitting in the stands chewing your hands off praying that the new starting QB wont F things up. Just wait when craw flops i cant wait to see what excuses you fools bring to the board.

Comment

Working...
                                X