Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Starting QB

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
    When I listened to Stig talk about needing a guy that can do more than just throw the ball I was pretty certain he would select Crawford. I'm not sure it's the right choice but who am I to say. If Ryan leads the team on and off the field like a senior QB should then things will take care of themselves. Is he the most talented guy to choose from, I don't think so but that doesn't mean he isn't the right choice for the first game. I'm looking forward to it.
    I wasn't there but seeing Crawford's numbers in the NDSU game last fall in Fargo before he got injured tells me a lot about his being ready. I know its an incredibly small sample, but to be able to step into a huge rivalry game like that on the road against a hostile crowd and perform - that just tells me this guy deserves the spot this year.

I trust Coach Stig enough that I trust that he made this decision for the right reasons.
    The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Originally posted by gojackrabbits! View Post
      Another conservative decision with the only outcome being a mediocre season. I WANT A QB THAT CAN MAKE THE PLAYS TO WIN US BIG GAMES! Develop talent!!!
      I have figured out one thing. Stig knows a lot more about football than I do. And it's not even close. So I'm going to go ahead and trust him on this one. I think he's earned that trust by making the right decision much more often than not.
      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

One other point, I don't think the selection of Crawford means that the other guys aren't as talented as we all think they are. Stig is selecting the guy he thinks will be the best leader at the QB position for this team right now. No reason to start suspecting the other guys won't eventually be great leaders for us as well. I can't believe its Sept. 1st already.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
          Why the knocks about Crawford in the NDSU game last year?

He went 10 of 13 and managed the game almost perfectly to keep SDSU in a position to win the game at the end. Not much more you can ask of a backup quarterback.

I trust the coaching staff. IMO, with the players surrounding Ryan and on the defensive side of the ball, we need a quarterback who "isn't going to screw up" more than we need a cannon arm.
          He went 10-13, but for only 50 yards. When he was in at QB the offense would just stall and had a hard time moving the ball. He either threw the ball for a 3-5 yrd gain or took a sack.

My guess though is that once Berry went down, NDSU's Defense went Blitz happy and went after the new, inexperienced QB. He ended up holding up good, but I don't see SDSU winning that game last year unless Berry came back in and did what he did.

This year is a different story though. He will go into the game knowing he is starting and the coaches will be able to game play for this style. Looking forward to seeing how everything plays out.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
            One other point, I don't think the selection of Crawford means that the other guys aren't as talented as we all think they are. Stig is selecting the guy he thinks will be the best leader at the QB position for this team right now. No reason to start suspecting the other guys won't eventually be great leaders for us as well. I can't believe its Sept. 1st already.
            No doubt the coaching staff kept good track of the positives and negatives on each candidate, but one thing that might have put Crawford out front is his knowledge of the play book. Some of you might understand the details of football coaching procedures at SDSU better than I do, but I suspect the entire game plan which is reduced to a lamanated to a 11 X 8.5 sheet of paper attached to the coaches at game time all comes from what is in the play book. Granted plays are added and extracted for each opponent and each season. Its probably being updated daily.

Crawford in some eyes might not have the talent that some of the others may not have, but he knows the playbook better than the rest. Knowledge of the play book takes time to acquire. If Whittier is a pre med candidate, he know doubt is a very bright young man, but learning a thick play book is something you can not cram for in order to be No 1 out of fall camp. O'Brien no doubt has more knowledge than the other two, but I think we need the guy who knows the book best and can apply the knowledge. Crawford apparently demonstated these traits during fall camp.
            Last edited by Nidaros; 09-01-2009, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
              I support any of the four, but with this decision it is obvious we are going to be a ball controlled running team with a dink-n-dunk passing game heavily relying on our defense to win games.
              I agree with you totally, but I hope we're wrong.

I'm hoping not to see a bland run left/run right/5-yard curl/punt and play defense. There are weapons to be used with Steffen/Cochart as the possession YAC guys, Fox the "tweener" with great possession skills, yet the speed to break one and then Gant going long. Too much Minnet means overworking him and 8 men up and too many punts.

This defense still has a lot to prove to be leaning on them every game. I still have visions of McNeese State and Cal Poly and, unfairly, Iowa State unleashing a lot of points on pretty much the same personnel on this defense.

There will be games this team is going to need to score 25+ points to win, we need Crawford to be the man to do it.

Bring on Georgia Southern and the rest of the 2009 season. In Ryan Crawford we trust!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                Stig's also a loyal guy who rewards people who pay their dues. I'm happy for Ryan Crawford. He worked really hard to come back from a really bad injury.

Regarding O'Brien. He's a RS Freshman. He'll have three years to prove himself, or if Ryan struggles he'll get his chance this year. In other words, plenty of opportunities for him. For Ryan it's now or never.

Anyway, this is Kyle Minett's year to carry the team. So we don't necessarily need a Ryan Berry-type year from the QB.

Ryan Berry made Kyle Minett effective! O'Brien had the chance to lead us for 4 years and he did not standout. Hopefully, we do not lose a player to transfer!

I can hear the announcers now, Crawford roles out, nobody around, the pass over the middle, 2 and 9! Wait that is Hawkeye football announcers! Sorry

Comment

Originally posted by Danger41 View Post
                  If he is the backup, he will be spending the entire year working with the 2's and preparing for games as if he was the starter. I (personally) think this is the best way to develop a young guy, especially a quarterback. There is one heck of alot more to playing QB than just having a big arm. I mean, look at Berry. Ryan was a decent athlete, but his greatest weapon was his brain. That's where Crawford holds the advantage over the young guys.

When you don't have to devote brain bytes to thinking where the routes are going to be run, you can focus on reading the defense and knowing where the ball needs to go. It makes all the difference when you walk up to the line, think about routes, think about protection, now try to read the defense, now time up motions, now remember the snap count, and then try doing all of that in a dynamic environment when people are chasing you and trying to knock you down. You gotta go with experience everytime.

Case in point, look at Carson Palmer. He didn't do crap as a rookie, then went on to blow the doors off the league in his next few years.

Give the young lad time and give Ryan his chance. He won't disappoint.
                  Palmer did not start his first year, he played behind kitna and the in the offseasonthey gave palmer the ball and exploded! O'Brien could do the same thing!

Comment

Originally posted by tattoo View Post
                    Palmer did not start his first year, he played behind kitna and the in the offseasonthey gave palmer the ball and exploded! O'Brien could do the same thing!
                    That's what I was saying.

Comment

Originally posted by tattoo View Post
                      Ryan Berry made Kyle Minett effective! O'Brien had the chance to lead us for 4 years and he did not standout. Hopefully, we do not lose a player to transfer!

I can hear the announcers now, Crawford roles out, nobody around, the pass over the middle, 2 and 9! Wait that is Hawkeye football announcers! Sorry
                      Or did Kyle Minett (sp) make Ryan Berry effective? I think it was a little of both. The choice of Crawford to start should not really surprise anyone. Another post already mentioned how loyal Stig is to his players. I hope Ryan steps up for the Jacks? If not, I guess we have some very qualified backup QB's.

That said - It would have been nice if Stig could have plugged in O'Brien or Whittier as freshman. That way we would have had the QB position pretty solid for 4 years. Assuming Crawford stays healty we will be starting a new QB again next year.

The Crawford choice may also mean less turmoil among the troups? Start your Sr and develope your underclassman. Its an easy choice to justify.

LET ME FINISH WITH THIS: I TRUST COACH STIG!

GBFBGJ

Comment

As I watch the replay of the 49ers-Cowboys game, I can not help but think of the 49ers QB decision. I do not think that anyone would argue that Alex Smith has far superior physical skills than Shaun Hill. Smith has a stronger arm, quicker feet, more speed, and may even have a better touch throw. I don't know of anyone that thinks it is obvious that Smith should be starting. Now the big difference to me is that most people are not happy with either option for the 49ers. With the Jacks, most people think that the coaches had four good options to choose from. The only thing we can do now is rant and/or rave, and then sit back on game day and watch.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

I'm thinking Trent Dilfer and the Ravens Super Bowl.

Many are saying "could" have had 4 solid yrs of QB. With a Senior followed by a Soph, sounds more realistic than starting with a Frosh. At least one of the others will get decent playing time this year assuming there are some comfortable wins.

I will also go with Stig on this one. He's not always right, but he sure seems to get it most of the time.

Comment

crawford is not worthy. i watched the spring game film and he didnt do well. I know he has been with the program and has paid his dues but in the end its all about the W. Plain and simple..if u wanna win put OB in.
                            Last edited by rabidrabbit; 09-06-2009, 01:58 PM. Reason: profanity not welcome

Comment

Nice first (last?) post, Jedi.
                              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by Jedi Incognito View Post
                                crawford is not worthy .i watched the spring game film and he didnt do well. I know he has been with the program and has paid his dues but in the end its all about the W. Plain and simple..if u wanna win put OB in.
                                Each of the QB's brought a variety of talents to the table. Measuring Crawford by how he did in SPRING ball is reflective of an INJURIED, but recovering QB. With an added 4 months, Ryan brings a maturity and experience with the SDSU system that can't be matched by the other 3 QB's. He'll demonstrate that he's the man, or Stig will use one of the others. We're deep at QB, and just need them to compete hard to keep the job.

Welcome to the board. Reasoned opinions respected. Swearing to make the point isn't. Warning 1.
                                Last edited by rabidrabbit; 09-06-2009, 01:59 PM. Reason: Modified Jedi Posting.

Comment

Working...
                                X