Starting QB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Starting QB

I guess I am a little surprised by the choice, but if you look back at the comments that TV kept reporting, it is not that big of surprise. Making reads and handling pressure were listed as keys to the competition. As many have said, the senior has the most experience with the offense, and usually seniors handle pressure better than freshman/sophomores.

I also think the coaching staff looks at this team as having a real shot at the playoffs, but a brutal schedule. I don't think they want to take a chance on an early loss (caused in part by an inexperienced QB; no one player is really the reason for a loss) as to be the reason they are not in the post-season.

I am going to trust the coaching staff, I remember a lot of concern when some kid named Berry was given the starting job. Turned out alright.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
      I am going to trust the coaching staff, I remember a lot of concern when some kid named Berry was given the starting job. Turned out alright.
      Yeah, that skinny Berry kid was OK... despite not having a rocket arm.
      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

As I previously stated, as long as we win I don't care who runs the offense.

We could run the spread and throw it 70 times per game or run the single wing and run it on every play. I really don't care as long as we win. If the coaches think that Ryan will give us the best chance to do that, then so be it.

I do know that we need to get over the hump. 7-5 is not something to celebrate anymore. I don't like being mediocre. Its so frustrating.
        "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
        "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack View Post
          With O'Brien being the backup, I assume he will run the scout team and will gain valuable experience.
          If he is the backup, he will be spending the entire year working with the 2's and preparing for games as if he was the starter. I (personally) think this is the best way to develop a young guy, especially a quarterback. There is one heck of alot more to playing QB than just having a big arm. I mean, look at Berry. Ryan was a decent athlete, but his greatest weapon was his brain. That's where Crawford holds the advantage over the young guys.

When you don't have to devote brain bytes to thinking where the routes are going to be run, you can focus on reading the defense and knowing where the ball needs to go. It makes all the difference when you walk up to the line, think about routes, think about protection, now try to read the defense, now time up motions, now remember the snap count, and then try doing all of that in a dynamic environment when people are chasing you and trying to knock you down. You gotta go with experience everytime.

Case in point, look at Carson Palmer. He didn't do crap as a rookie, then went on to blow the doors off the league in his next few years.

Give the young lad time and give Ryan his chance. He won't disappoint.

Comment

Great move in my eyes.

1. Senior Leadership
            2. I don't think the NDSU game was a fair assessment of Crawford as he did have a lot of reps with the first team offense the whole season.
            3. Crawford was in the running with Berry and Burkhardt 2 years ago, so he has to be solid.
            4. This allows Whittier to redshirt giving him 4 more years
            5. It allows an open competition for quarterback again next season. It is possible that all four of these young men who vyed for this job could start for the Jacks for at least one season Mondol next season, TOB the following two years and then Whittier the year after that.

We have a heck of a football team this season and most of our tough games are at home. It should be fun.
            Go Big! Go Blue! Go Jacks!

Comment

[QUOTE=valleyrabbit;125670]Great move in my eyes.

2. I don't think the NDSU game was a fair assessment of Crawford as he did have a lot of reps with the first team offense the whole season.
              QUOTE]

I think you meant didn't (have a lot of first-team snaps). Not sure, though. He will have to have much, much better showings then in the NDSU game last year. Because, based on play-calling, there was a lack of confidence in him then.
              Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Wow... I cannot believe this. I thought Crawford was the third best quarterback every time I watched practice/ scrimmages. I really don't like the idea of starting a guy for one year unless he is obviously better... not the case here.

Comment

1. At this point trusting Stig is the best way to go.
                  2. As fans we don't see what goes on behind the scenes, only some reps on a practice field.
                  3. It's not always about the reps on the practice field. Earning a starting role also takes place in the meeting room, in the weight room and in the lockerroom.
                  I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Let's not forget that Crawford was a top 15 rated FCS QB coming out of HS. I guess we'll get a chance to see if that rating was legit.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
                      2. As fans we don't see what goes on behind the scenes, only some reps on a practice field.
                      3. It's not always about the reps on the practice field. Earning a starting role also takes place in the meeting room, in the weight room and in the lockerroom.
                      Here is a guy who can speak from experience and I would have commented something to this affect but can only add my two cents.

I think Crawford has the skills to be the starting QB plus he knows the play book better perhaps than the other three at this point in time. Also the wrist could be re-injured and thats all for Mr. Crawford. Fortunately we got three others who have the skills to come on the field as QB. I think the right choices have been made in this decision. Lets play ball.

Comment

Why the knocks about Crawford in the NDSU game last year?

He went 10 of 13 and managed the game almost perfectly to keep SDSU in a position to win the game at the end. Not much more you can ask of a backup quarterback.

I trust the coaching staff. IMO, with the players surrounding Ryan and on the defensive side of the ball, we need a quarterback who "isn't going to screw up" more than we need a cannon arm.
                        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post

He went 10 of 13 and managed the game almost perfectly to keep SDSU in a position to win the game at the end. Not much more you can ask of a backup quarterback.

I trust the coaching staff. IMO, with the players surrounding Ryan and on the defensive side of the ball, we need a quarterback who "isn't going to screw up" more than we need a cannon arm.
                          If there was a complaint about Crawford's play vs NDSU was that the Jacks were very predictable on what they were going to do. Run, run, pass. Repeat. Is that Ryan's fault or the offensive coordinator?

I hope that he can step right in and lead the team, especially early in the season. IMHO, If Jacks win vs Ga Southern, we should be on the path to the play-offs. Jacks will need to go 2 of 3 or better on their conference toughies @ home, UNI, SIU, NDSU, and not lose on the road. The only MVFC road team that should be a challenge is Youngstown. Jacks were lucky to catch them early while they were trying to figure out their QB starter. They were NOT a TEAM when they opened in Brookings last year.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post

Good to see the season is coming up and we're having some meaty discussions on the message board. On this particular topic, I'm with SF Rabbit Fan. The coaches knew what they had with Ryan Berry and before him, Andy Kardoes. But recall how upset fans were after their opening performances?

I was in the Fargodome when Crawford came into the game and did a nice job for a backup, keeping us in the fray and positioned to win.

Crawford's comeback from what would have been a career-ending injury for many gives us an indication of the kid's moxie. I like that.

Comment

Another conservative decision with the only outcome being a mediocre season. I WANT A QB THAT CAN MAKE THE PLAYS TO WIN US BIG GAMES! Develop talent!!! Good luck to Crawford though! I know a lot of the team may have liked to see O'Brien but we are all going to pull for him.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
                                When I listened to Stig talk about needing a guy that can do more than just throw the ball I was pretty certain he would select Crawford. I'm not sure it's the right choice but who am I to say. If Ryan leads the team on and off the field like a senior QB should then things will take care of themselves. Is he the most talented guy to choose from, I don't think so but that doesn't mean he isn't the right choice for the first game. I'm looking forward to it.
                                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                                X