Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Out of Conference Schedule

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
    Coach Stig just said that the conference schedule is tough enough that he can schedule easier teams in the non-conference schedule, on the "Sports Show".
    Mierkort also said that NDSU has called them. He also said that Illinois State, Southern Illinois and UNI want to play them. That makes several conference teams that want to play them.
    Oops about the s!
    Ya, those are all 2 for 1 deals. Do you think that USD is ready to do 2 for 1 deals with SDSU?

Mierkort said he would play the first two in Brookings, but I think after that USD would want home and home contracts. My answer to that is show me home and home with a Mo Valley school then we will talk.

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
      Ya, those are all 2 for 1 deals. Do you think that USD is ready to do 2 for 1 deals with SDSU?

Mierkort said he would play the first two in Brookings, but I think after that USD would want home and home contracts. My answer to that is show me home and home with a Mo Valley school then we will talk.
      Wouldn't USD playing the first two in Brookings, and then the next in Vermillion basically be a 2 for 1? Or am I missing something? Mierkort said he wants to do just that...

Home and Homes start after the first three games...most likely starting in Brookings again the first year.
      "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

And you know that all the teams Coach Meierkort referred to want 2 for 1? And you know this how? Or are you merely speculating? Let me tell you a little bit about economics. Ad's for the most part are business majors, and it totally makes sense in todays economic enviroment to schedule games that limit the amount of travel dollars spent. Don't bet against the idea that they are negotiating home and home, and I do know that one of those mentioned want a home and home long term deal.

I have argued this point on here before, and I am prepared to get bashed again, but if you take this path of we went first, then someday you will wake up and be traveling to Georgia, or south Texas, or whereever, when your MVC comrades will be playing other FCS schools that are local in nature. I know you had a good year last year, but rest assured, SDSU and USD for that matter, are NOT household names in D-I FCS football. Maybe someday we both can say we are, but as of right now, nope.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
          Wouldn't USD playing the first two in Brookings, and then the next in Vermillion basically be a 2 for 1? Or am I missing something?
          Basically, USD has offered to come to Brookings twice, with a return game in year 3. Then from that point, it would be home and home.

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
            And you know that all the teams Coach Meierkort referred to want 2 for 1? And you know this how? Or are you merely speculating? Let me tell you a little bit about economics. Ad's for the most part are business majors, and it totally makes sense in todays economic enviroment to schedule games that limit the amount of travel dollars spent. Don't bet against the idea that they are negotiating home and home, and I do know that one of those mentioned want a home and home long term deal.

I have argued this point on here before, and I am prepared to get bashed again, but if you take this path of we went first, then someday you will wake up and be traveling to Georgia, or south Texas, or whereever, when your MVC comrades will be playing other FCS schools that are local in nature. I know you had a good year last year, but rest assured, SDSU and USD for that matter, are NOT household names in D-I FCS football. Maybe someday we both can say we are, but as of right now, nope.
            You have contracts with 2 schools. UNI 2 for 1, Ill. State 2 for 1. You have no other contracts with any Mo Valley school. You only have talk. Show us a home and home with a Mo Valley school. Until you have one what you have is 2 for 1 deals with Mo Valley schools.

Comment

Basically, USD has offered to come to Brookings twice, with a return game in year 3. Then from that point, it would be home and home.
              No what USD has said they will do is a guarantee game in Brookings with a home and home starting in Brookings. That is different then a 2 for 1, which is what USD has with other Mo Valley schools. The difference of the deal is in the economics, something you claim to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
                Wouldn't USD playing the first two in Brookings, and then the next in Vermillion basically be a 2 for 1? Or am I missing something? Mierkort said he wants to do just that...

Home and Homes start after the first three games...most likely starting in Brookings again the first year.
                Nope see post above.

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit View Post
                  I agree with you, and that is my point. They say absence makes the heart grow fonder. Seems to me that many remember this rivalry way better then it was. If people thought it was going to be a good game, or the weather was going to be good, or the game was important they showed up if not they didn't. How is that different from most games that are played at CAS?

I do think we will play USD agian and I think the first few times it we be a big deal, but I do not think that a USD game is an automatic big crowd. History is on my side.

Go State!
                  I tend to believe the SDSU-USD could become a big event if both schools have great programs like NDSU and UND. Years ago,one of Roger Thomas assistants at UND named Bubba Sweigart, had the job of establishing a defense for UND that would stop NDSU's veer option offense. That defense system turned out to be one of the best at the D2 level and got them a NC. In the mean time NDSU abandoned the veer, but could not beat the UND defense after dropping the veer. What seems to be very true about teams in any given year often changes. NDSU no longer has the veer and UND probably still has the same defense, but the coaching changes have made it less than what it was in prior years. With good game plans SDSU could beat both NDSU and UND.

But as Jack 02 said, both schools were national contenders for nearly 20 years, and thats what gets butts in the seats. This could happen in South Dakota and it must happen in order for this game to be standing room only. If not history does prevail.

I suspect when NDSU and UND resume their rivalry, there will be a sellout, but if it becomes blowout city both ways then look for hunting activity to pick up on Saturdays. Seems like the Media that covers both is the same group of owners and the schools are only 75 miles apart and that might help the rivalry some too, plus both are in larger communities.

One of Ed Mierkort comments yesterday was that his program has only lost two games in the Dakota Dome. I would like nothing more than to see SDSU make it three or more losses for dear old Ed. He came across as a good guy in the Argus interview so lets take him on.

Comment

I guess the bottom line for me is that I trust the SDSU Admin. to do what is best for SDSU. They have done a really good job so far in the move to D-I. I don't really want to play USD anymore, but if they do that is fine with me and if they don't I am cool with that. I am all about the Jacks.

Comment

I'm so sick of the USD/SDSU football game talk already. It was mentioned a couple times again today on Terry's SDSU chat at the Argus. Of course Meierkort is going to say he's ready to schedule the game and come here to play it. He has absolutely nothing to lose. USD can't make the playoff for another 3 years and hasn't even been able to find an 11th game this season so are looking everywhere for games.

SDSU already has Delaware and Nebraska on the road for non-conference games in 2010 and with the already tough conference schedule should be looking for a cupcake for the 11th game. Hate to give USD any credit, but with it being a huge rivalry game would not be a cupcake game and could cost us a playoff chance if we were to lose.

SDSU will schedule the game when its in its best interest to do so, not when Ed whines that he wants to do it!

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                        I'm so sick of the USD/SDSU football game talk already. It was mentioned a couple times again today on Terry's SDSU chat at the Argus. Of course Meierkort is going to say he's ready to schedule the game and come here to play it. He has absolutely nothing to lose. USD can't make the playoff for another 3 years and hasn't even been able to find an 11th game this season so are looking everywhere for games.

SDSU already has Delaware and Nebraska on the road for non-conference games in 2010 and with the already tough conference schedule should be looking for a cupcake for the 11th game. Hate to give USD any credit, but with it being a huge rivalry game would not be a cupcake game and could cost us a playoff chance if we were to lose.

SDSU will schedule the game when its in its best interest to do so, not when Ed whines that he wants to do it!
                        Jack02:

I wish I had read the Rapid City Journal articles before I had made my posts on this thread. I was somewhat messermized with Ed's interview yesterday. I believe Stu and Mick had read the RCJ articles but made no reference to them, but Stu during the interview interjected his usual sarcasm and said SDSU had no playoff tradition to protect so he knew something about the articles that he would drag his feet in publishing in his Argus Leader. Note in the Rapid City Journal article the writer mentioned that AD Sell wanted to give SDSU fans a taste of playoff flavor which is a big difference in my mine and if the 2010 never happens thats fine with me too.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post

I think you should be general counsel to the coaching staff and study FCS football and see who is going to be the weakest teams in the coming years and get them on your schedule as to not risk any chance you have of making the playoffs. Don't make them because you are one of the top teams in the nation, but because you were 6-2 in the MVC, and then beat Lousy State, No Business Winning University, and National College of Never Win a Game. At 9-2 you are a lock to get in.

Secondly Meierkort hasn't whined as you suggest. He merely is playing the same press game as you do. Ed wants to play, and your statement is we'll play USD when it is in our best interest. Both schools are jockeying for position.

For the first time, I no longer care of we play. If I had my wish, we'd sign long term regional contracts with FCS teams from the midwest that didn't include you, and let you set up those teams that you think have a great deal of interest in playing you like Deleware.

In closing, I would think you want to make the playoffs because you are a top team. Top teams don't dodge anyone. They play them. Period.

Comment

Don't make them because you are one of the top teams in the nation, but because you were 6-2 in the MVC, and then beat Lousy State, No Business Winning University, and National College of Never Win a Game. At 9-2 you are a lock to get in.
                            Actually, the scenario you mapped out probably would get a team into the playoffs. Our out-of-conference schedule is very tough and getting through the MVC with just two losses is a tough task. So, why not back off on the schedule a bit?

I attended an alumni event this evening in Watertown. Our new AD did a nice job and made some general comments about scheduling. I think they can be summed up as: sure, we'll be playing USD in the future but not likely in 2010...wants to give the fans a taste of the playoffs because then the program has the chance to really take off.

Jack02 made the following comment: "Hate to give USD any credit, but with it being a huge rivalry game would not be a cupcake game and could cost us a playoff chance if we were to lose." Seems to me there isn't anything to gain for SDSU to play USD in 2010. There'll be a time when it makes perfect sense to play USD, perhaps in 2011 or 2012.

Sell is looking out for the best interests of SDSU and he and his staff are carefully considering the options. For the short term, USD is not high on the priority list for SDSU but I don't think that's due to any illegitimate reason. Sell comes to the Jackrabbits with no first-hand knowledge of the rivalry/hatred of which so many speak. He's just thinking about how to improve the Jacks and help get them to the playoffs.

Sell and USD's AD have been communicating and both are doing the best they can for their institutions.

Comment

I guess the bottom line for me is that I trust the SDSU Admin. to do what is best for SDSU. They have done a really good job so far in the move to D-I. I don't really want to play USD anymore, but if they do that is fine with me and if they don't I am cool with that. I am all about the Jacks.
                              Well said LakeJack. Although this thread has wandered considerably into unnecessary talk of USD, I would like to emphasize what Coach Stig said a few months back. We need to schedule teams and do what is best for ourselves. For all those who remember, there were a lot of naysayers when we decided to go Division I in 2004. Nonetheless, our administration and athletic department had the foresight to do what is best for the University. Almost six years later, I would be hard-pressed to find Jack fans who now think it was the wrong move.

Sure, playing USD regularly may bring back the warm fuzzies thinking about days past, but we need to remember what are goals are and where we want to go. Our goal isn't to be the best in the state or win ONE game a year, but rather to make a championship run every year. I just don't see how playing USD every September puts us in any better position to reach that goal. At least not now, especially since their not in our conference.

Another reason that putting USD on our non-conference schedule every year is a negative is that it severely hamstrings our scheduling flexibility. For those who incessantly bring up the potential revenue, I want you to consider this: If USD is scheduled every 2nd or 3rd weekend of every season, we have one less weekend to schedule a Division 1A school for a money game. Say that the payout is roughly $200,000 - 400,000 a game, it would take a lot of USD games to make up for one lost year. It doesn't make a lot of sense.....not just to make some alumni remember what used to be.

Also, for those petitioning for a game in Sioux Falls......wake up! It is not only a slap in the face of the SDSU fans and students, but why would we want to remove revenue from Brookings? I don't know if I'm the only one who feels this, but for the most part, the Sioux Falls media has not went out of its way to promote SDSU athletics or the transition to DI. I know there are a lot of alumni that live in Sioux falls and who follow the Jacks religously, but I think if you are a true supporter, you're willing to drive the 50 miles north to watch the Jacks play. Having a sixth home game is much more important to players than making playing some 'State rivalry' game in Sioux Falls.

By no means do say this wishing USD to fail or not fill their schedule. We just can't worry about what USD wants or Ed Meierkort wants, we should only take care of ourselves, and right now that means not playing USD.......regardless of what a lot of the nostalgic alumni want.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                                Actually, the scenario you mapped out probably would get a team into the playoffs. Our out-of-conference schedule is very tough and getting through the MVC with just two losses is a tough task. So, why not back off on the schedule a bit?

I attended an alumni event this evening in Watertown. Our new AD did a nice job and made some general comments about scheduling. I think they can be summed up as: sure, we'll be playing USD in the future but not likely in 2010...wants to give the fans a taste of the playoffs because then the program has the chance to really take off.

Jack02 made the following comment: "Hate to give USD any credit, but with it being a huge rivalry game would not be a cupcake game and could cost us a playoff chance if we were to lose." Seems to me there isn't anything to gain for SDSU to play USD in 2010. There'll be a time when it makes perfect sense to play USD, perhaps in 2011 or 2012.

Sell is looking out for the best interests of SDSU and he and his staff are carefully considering the options. For the short term, USD is not high on the priority list for SDSU but I don't think that's due to any illegitimate reason. Sell comes to the Jackrabbits with no first-hand knowledge of the rivalry/hatred of which so many speak. He's just thinking about how to improve the Jacks and help get them to the playoffs.

Sell and USD's AD have been communicating and both are doing the best they can for their institutions.
                                JackJD, I understand what you are saying. I really do. But do you really want to schedule teams that have little to no interest to the fans? Deleware and Georgia Southern are tall tasks, no question about it. But honestly think about it. Why go to Deleware and have a good chance of getting beat? To me that makes no sense. Playing Minnesota, Iowa State, or Nebraska makes sense financially and really doesn't hurt your chances of the playoffs.

Your AD will do what is best for SDSU as will ours. More than anything, I was just calling out those that want cupcakes so you make the playoffs, but on other sport threads, those same people talk about playing better and better teams.

Comment

Working...
                                X