Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best Player Ever

Originally posted by Cowbell View Post
    Other than Chris Wagner, who were some of the great tight ends in the past?

I think that Tom Jones was either drafted or had try out with Dallas. He was also on the basketball team for at least one season (my freshman year).
    An ardent supporter of the hometown team should go to a game prepared to take offense, no matter what happens.Robert Benchley
    US actor, author, & humorist (1889 - 1945)

Comment

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post
      I'm sure he means Matt Berry, the greatest guitar player in Jacks football history.

MJA, I can't believe you're taking Vinny as the punter over Tom.
      Matt Berry is correct. Had Ryan on the brain for the QB question. And Matt is hands down the best guitar player SDSU football has ever seen. He's playing for a living now from what I understand. He was a center and very quick on his feet. He and Craig Ploetz used to single handedly destroy the pizza buffet at George's pizza on a routine basis. Craig Ploetz - he was so big he'd sweat while toweling off from his shower. He would claim the shower "didn't take". Also wore shorts across campus in the dead of winter. Also, probably top 5 smartest people I know.

Tom was on track to be the best punter of all time at SDSU until he found the cafeteria. He literally ate his way out of an NFL job.
      "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Does anyone remember that "destroyer" (from Minnesota) on the offensive line from about ten years ago. He was mean as a snake. Played two years and was done. Had about three personal foul penalties a game.

Comment

Does anyone remember that "destroyer" (from Minnesota) on the offensive line from about ten years ago. He was mean as a snake. Played two years and was done. Had about three personal foul penalties a game.

Brock Zierden. He only played during my first two years at State, but I continually say, he may be the best raw football player I've every played with, or seen play in person. (Ranek was also there at this time) If his head was on straight, he would be a dominate force in the league. Anyone who feels otherwise, should get their hands on some 2000 game tape. True, he had a lot of personal fouls, but it was because of complete domination of the man across from him and playing to the whistle. He made players like Anthony Dunn and Chris Cooper (both played multiple seasons in the NFL) look like children. He was fun to watch.

Comment

That's it! That guy could do 3 pancake blocks on play. Then, he'd lay on the last guy and "give him the business." He was far more devastating than Adam Timmerman.

Comment

That's it! That guy could do 3 pancake blocks on play. Then, he'd lay on the last guy and "give him the business." He was far more devastating than Adam Timmerman.
              We had two very good tackles in Zierdan and Matt Rock at that time.

Comment

Best QB: Dan Fjeldheim
                Best RB: Josh Ranek
                Best FB: Greg Peitz or Dan Dykhouse
                Best OL: Timmerman, Brock Zierden, Michael Suhn
                Best TE: Steve Heiden, Chris Wagner
                Best WR: Josh Davis, Jaron Harris
                Best DE: Jason Aune
                Best DT: Willie Jones
                Best LB: Doug Miller
                Best DB: Mitch Klein or James Epps
                Best K: Parker Douglas
                Best P: Adam Vinatieri

Enjoy!

Comment

Some of the comments about guys being the "toughest" or "meanest", brought to mind one recruit back in John Gregory's era, about 1973. I was working in the Sports Information Bureau and remember hearing about a new recruit from Folsom State out of California (that is literally what I was told...maybe I was gullible but I didn't get it at first: Folsom State as in Johnny Cash's alma mater). I won't say the guy's name but I think he was on campus only a matter of weeks and if my memory is correct, he boogied after punching out a cop at a party.

Comment

Matt Rock was injured some was he not? My memory does not serve me well, I always felt he was a big part of the yards Ranek got. Can not remember the years he played but I thought there was a leg injury maybe that kept him down a bit maybe in 2000? im sure someone could fill in the blank spots for me.

Im gonna throw out there Justin Landis also, cant remember if i read his name yet or not but he could lay a hit to set your teeth free if i recall. he sure was fun to watch.
                    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by CSU-Rabbit View Post
                      Best DB: Mitch Klein or James Epps
                      You gotta go with Scott Connot over either listed above. Played for the Chiefs, dominated in NFL Europe, if not for injuries might have become more of a presence at the next level.

I'm not sure how he compares against some of the db's from the 90s and earlier though, I'm a little to young have any idea there.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                        Some of the comments about guys being the "toughest" or "meanest", brought to mind one recruit back in John Gregory's era, about 1973. I was working in the Sports Information Bureau and remember hearing about a new recruit from Folsom State out of California (that is literally what I was told...maybe I was gullible but I didn't get it at first: Folsom State as in Johnny Cash's alma mater). I won't say the guy's name but I think he was on campus only a matter of weeks and if my memory is correct, he boogied after punching out a cop at a party.
                        I believe you are correct. The punch to the officer came after he pulled a gas meter off the wall of a local establishment.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack4Life View Post
                          I believe you are correct. The punch to the officer came after he pulled a gas meter off the wall of a local establishment.
                          In the mid seventies there was also a guy from Beresford. Gene ?, who played either the offensive line or defensive line. Mean and mean. At the Jackrabbit Stampede the football team had a team in the wild horse ride, Lynn Boden and this guy were on it along with two others. He grabbed the horses head and bit into the horses ear, while they saddled it, caused an uproar. I think they also beat the crap out of the poor horse.

Comment

Best DB has to be Wayne Rasmussen, who was also a basketball star for the Jacks. He was drafted out of SDSU and played DB for the Detroit Lions from 1964 to 1972 (back when the Lions were good). He also returned punts.
                            This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by CSU-Rabbit View Post
                              Best QB: Dan Fjeldheim

Best DT: Willie Jones

Enjoy!

Seriously?

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                                Best DB has to be Wayne Rasmussen, who was also a basketball star for the Jacks. He was drafted out of SDSU and played DB for the Detroit Lions from 1964 to 1972 (back when the Lions were good). He also returned punts.
                                I agree.
                                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Working...
                                X