Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best Player Ever

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
    Ok oldtimers, I need help on this one. Wasn't there a player in the mid-70's that was the offensive left tackle that went to and played for the New York Giants. For some reason the name Brad Miller comes to mind, but that probably isn't correct.

Anyway, I can personally tell you, he was very good. Maybe his last season was '76 or so? Also, the QB back then was Gary Moffit. He was an excellent option quarterback. He came to SDSU from Des Moines, Iowa I think. Those are the two from the 70's I remember.
    Could you be thinking of Chuck Loewen who was o-left tackle in probably 77-78. Was drafted by San Diego Chargers and played a couple years before a devastating knee injury ended his career.
    Last edited by 76Rabbit; 02-16-2009, 11:07 PM.

Comment

Nice to see Carter make the list...saw him play a little and he was quite good. Same type of mold as Schroeder, but maybe a little better. If there was a section for scariest football player in the cafeteria, then my vote would be for Zach.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitinTea View Post
        Nice to see Carter make the list...saw him play a little and he was quite good. Same type of mold as Schroeder, but maybe a little better. If there was a section for scariest football player in the cafeteria, then my vote would be for Zach.
        Its a shame he had so many injuries during his career, I think he could have had a shot at the NFL otherwise.

Comment

Going back to the late 60s-early 70s, was Clyde Hagen a tight end? He was a multi-sport stud. A power guy. Starting forward in basketball and field events in track.
          This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowbell View Post
            Other than Chris Wagner, who were some of the great tight ends in the past?
            Dennis Thomas from Parkston, I believe, was a pretty solid TE in the early-mid 80s. Sits at No. 5 on the career reception list. Was invited to camp with the Packers, if I remember right.
            @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
            --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Dennis Thomas was an All-American and was in camp with both the Broncos and Bengals -- if I recall correctly. He also beat the h*&% out of me in high school when he was first-string TE and I was second-string DE (and vice versa).

Sonnek was a lot of fun to watch. He broke a lot of rushing records, but was also a vicious blocker when asked to do so. He was also pretty smart -- he had a super-high GPA in Ag. Engineering.

Comment

Originally posted by BitsTD View Post
                I am glad someone finally mentioned Gordo. I know we have had some good ones and I think he should definitely be top 3-4 all-time.

I would have liked to have seen Jaunich. I've seen his name a couple times on this thread. Can anyone elaborate? Was he a ball hawker or hard hitter or what?
                I liked Brett too. Without digging up stats, he always seemed to be very accurate. He didn't have the big leg that Parker Douglas did, but I believe he had the school record field goal before Parker, maybe a little wind-aided, if I recall. College-wise, I would probably take him after Parker, but before Vinny. Like others have said Vinny was a good college kicker, but until he went down to Florida with the kicking coach and then got hooked up after that, he wasn't great.

The Todd McDonald choice by c'emall ran through my head too. The big season he had early in the '90s was very impressive. Wahl just has the career stats over McDonald.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                  Its a shame he had so many injuries during his career, I think he could have had a shot at the NFL otherwise.
                  Absolutely. Zach Carter was a bad, bad man on the football field. I can't imagine what he did to guys in high school, because he was big when he got to college.

Comment

My biased list contains mainly guys I played with or were close to my time table. In other words, "best ever" is best I can remember from a dude in his early 30's.

Best QB: Nelson, McDonald
                    Best RB: Josh Ranek (honorable Mention: Wert Englemann*)
                    Best OL: Timmerman, Ryan Berry
                    Best TE: Heiden, Jake Hines**
                    Best WR: Josh Davis, Nate Millerbernd
                    Best DE: Jason Aune
                    Best DT: Zach Carter***
                    Best LB: Doug Miller****
                    Best DB: Casey Hillman*****
                    Best K: Parker Douglas
                    Best P: Vinny

*Wert Engelmann is my mom's uncle, member of the SDSU hall of fame and Green Bay Packers hall of fame. In other words, shameless plug for a family member.
                    **If only because Jake made his shameless plug and he held me on every play when I was a scout team freshman just because he couldn't handle 180 pounds of skin and bones making him look bad. For that matter, he taught Steve how to hold who turned it into a 10 year NFL career and counting.
                    ***Zach was/is the strongest human being I've ever met. He was getting double team blocks as a true-freshman by the end of the season and that was with two all-conference DE's on each side of him. Bad legs did him in and sapped his power, but he still made the final cut for the Bills before getting the ax over their 3rd round pick from that year. His soph year he was the most dominating lineman in the league by a mile.
                    ****They'd still be talking about Doug's NFL career had he not been given the two worst knees for a superior athlete. When he was back coaching for a year, he and I played basketball one day and he tore some cartilage just running the court. His knees were crap. He was a stud linebacker and a bad dude.
                    *****Best athlete of anyone I can think of for DB. He played Corner which is a tough pick. Until recently, we haven't been blessed with the best secondary around.
                    "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

thanks to sfjacksfan99 for the plug at LB and the laugh. Sterne Akin was the star of the linebacking show when I was playing. rep points for the shout out anyway.
                      "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
                        My biased list contains mainly guys I played with or were close to my time table. In other words, "best ever" is best I can remember from a dude in his early 30's.

Best QB: Nelson, McDonald
                        Best RB: Josh Ranek (honorable Mention: Wert Englemann*)
                        Best OL: Timmerman, Ryan Berry
                        Best TE: Heiden, Jake Hines**
                        Best WR: Josh Davis, Nate Millerbernd
                        Best DE: Jason Aune
                        Best DT: Zach Carter***
                        Best LB: Doug Miller****
                        Best DB: Casey Hillman*****
                        Best K: Parker Douglas
                        Best P: Vinny

*Wert Engelmann is my mom's uncle, member of the SDSU hall of fame and Green Bay Packers hall of fame. In other words, shameless plug for a family member.
                        **If only because Jake made his shameless plug and he held me on every play when I was a scout team freshman just because he couldn't handle 180 pounds of skin and bones making him look bad. For that matter, he taught Steve how to hold who turned it into a 10 year NFL career and counting.
                        ***Zach was/is the strongest human being I've ever met. He was getting double team blocks as a true-freshman by the end of the season and that was with two all-conference DE's on each side of him. Bad legs did him in and sapped his power, but he still made the final cut for the Bills before getting the ax over their 3rd round pick from that year. His soph year he was the most dominating lineman in the league by a mile.
                        ****They'd still be talking about Doug's NFL career had he not been given the two worst knees for a superior athlete. When he was back coaching for a year, he and I played basketball one day and he tore some cartilage just running the court. His knees were crap. He was a stud linebacker and a bad dude.
                        *****Best athlete of anyone I can think of for DB. He played Corner which is a tough pick. Until recently, we haven't been blessed with the best secondary around.
                        Is there another Ryan Berry I don't know of? It's entirely possible, as I'm still relatively young and don't know most of the old timers

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
                          Is there another Ryan Berry I don't know of? It's entirely possible, as I'm still relatively young and don't know most of the old timers
                          I think he is referring to Matt Berry (?)

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
                            I'm sure he means Matt Berry, the greatest guitar player in Jacks football history.

MJA, I can't believe you're taking Vinny as the punter over Tom.

Comment

I'm not that familiar with that many old players but having played with both Brad Nelson and Ryan Berry and seeing what Berry did this last season, I would have to take Ryan hands down!

Comment

Just thought of another more recent player who hasn't gotten much of a mention. Hank McCall did a great job at corner for the two years he played there. He went one on one with NFL player Vincent Jackson and shut him down completely.
                                "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                                -Leo Rosten

Comment

Working...
                                X