Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best Player Ever

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
    I was a little surprised that Adam Timmerman hasn't yet been mentioned.
    I mentioned him in the fourth post of this thread.
    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell View Post
      I have to give some love to the players we've had the last couple years.

QB - Berry (his comeback from the concussion to lead us to victory in NDSU will be the stuff of legends)

RB - Minnet has been stellar so far and has two years left.

WR - I'd put Jaron up there with Josh Davis although Josh did alot of the extra stuff like block kicks, but Jaron flat out could take over games. Cal Poly comes to mind.

OL - Mitch Erickson

DE - Danny Batten - This guy has been puttin up numbers since he started as a true freshman and I expect big things for him in his senior year.

LB - Chris Coauette was solid

S - Scott Connot was also very good

I've really only been watching Jacks football for the past 8 years or so but we've had some good ones during that time
      If you look in the dictionary under football player they have a picture of Chris Coauette.
      "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
      -Leo Rosten

Comment

Chris was a great player. Better person. Surprised he never got to the next level.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowbell View Post
          Chris was a great player. Better person. Surprised he never got to the next level.
          At the D2 level, this was one of the few times that Coach Stig was able to beat out his good friend Dale Lennon in recruiting in his own backyard, and apparently UND kind of messed up. I never got the full story, but Crookston is not very far from Grand Forks. Yes I thought a great deal of Chris as a fb player. He was very good as a linebacker. I never got the chance to meet him, but am sure that he is a great guy. Does anyone still keep in touch and what is Chris up to now days?

Comment

Other than Chris Wagner, who were some of the great tight ends in the past?

Comment

Steve Heiden

Comment

Didn't Monte Mosiman (Onida) standout TE in the early to mid 70s, play a little pro ball?

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                  Didn't Monte Mosiman (Onida) standout TE in the early to mid 70s, play a little pro ball?
                  USFL maybe
                  also played basketball. role was enforcer. If another team had a forward that was getting a little frisky inside, a couple of minutes of Monte sent him back to the corner where he stayed until Monte left the game. that cycle would repeat until the forward permanently camped out 25 or more feet from the basket.

Comment

Played with Lynn for two years then redshirted my senior year due to an injury then played my 5th year. Lynn was noticed in a game against UNLV (first year we travelled to Las Vegas)his senior year when he dominated an All-American who was being looked at by many pro teams. He was not a large o-tackle, but he was quick, had great technique and loved pulling in front of sweeps...many d-backs got to know Lynn very personally!! Drafted #17 in the '75 draft and played o-guard as a pro. I think he is back in Oseola, Neb. living on the family farm.

Greg Miller from Mitchell followed Lynn at left o-tackle but I do not think he made it to the pros...was still a very good o-tackle.

Bill Matthews, a couple years younger than Lynn, was from Wessington Springs (or Wessington) and may have been the best athlete on the team. He had all the tools; speed, size, talent & brains. Played defensive end at State, but drafted as an LB for Patriots.

From the same era, I believe Jerry Lawrence (def. tackle) was either drafted or signed as a free agent with the Dallas Cowboys. Jerry developed himself into a good football player with hard work!
                    Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                    '76Rabbit may know this but the story was that Boden got noticed when the Lions came to scout a D-end from either UND or NDSU and Boden owned him all day.

Also, per the question about another mid-70s o-tackle that ended in the pros. Could it be Brad Seely, who was for a long time the special teams coach at New England and may have moved recently to another team (Cleveland comes to mind for some reason)?

Comment

There's one I couldn't remember. I had Monte, but not Mosiman. He was a terrific player.
                      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I don't think Monte made it to the NFL, but he made many clutch catches for the Jacks. He may have accelerated Norm Hilson's ( All-star WNAX radio announcer) heart condition with his game winning catches.

Comment

Some other TE from SE Minnesota prior to Heiden had a pretty good run. Garnered some awards. Not NFL quality, but not so bad. Can't think of his name though

Yes. Shameless I know.
                          I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

A little '90's spin on the list

1) Best quarterback - Todd McDonald - GREAT 1993 season
                            2) Best running back besides Josh Ranek - Josh Ranek
                            3) Best receiver - Josh Davis
                            4) Best lineman - Timmerman, Berry
                            5) Best tight end - Heiden
                            6) Best defensive lineman - Tetz, Carter
                            7) Best linebacker - Doug Miller
                            8) Best defensive back - Mike Jaunich
                            9) Kicker - Brett Gordon
                            10) Punter - Tom O'Brien

Vinny really didn't hit his stride until after SDSU. The double duty hindered him more than anything (just ask him).

Everyone will remember the top players of their specific decade. I happened to live through most of the '90's at SDSU and these are some of the names that stick out. Can't disagree with anyone's picks though as we all have our favorites from different eras. Great discussion though to see what names people are putting out there.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
                              A little '90's spin on the list

1) Best quarterback - Todd McDonald - GREAT 1993 season
                              2) Best running back besides Josh Ranek - Josh Ranek
                              3) Best receiver - Josh Davis
                              4) Best lineman - Timmerman, Berry
                              5) Best tight end - Heiden
                              6) Best defensive lineman - Tetz, Carter
                              7) Best linebacker - Doug Miller
                              8) Best defensive back - Mike Jaunich
                              9) Kicker - Brett Gordon
                              10) Punter - Tom O'Brien

Vinny really didn't hit his stride until after SDSU. The double duty hindered him more than anything (just ask him).

Everyone will remember the top players of their specific decade. I happened to live through most of the '90's at SDSU and these are some of the names that stick out. Can't disagree with anyone's picks though as we all have our favorites from different eras. Great discussion though to see what names people are putting out there.
                              I am glad someone finally mentioned Gordo. I know we have had some good ones and I think he should definitely be top 3-4 all-time.

I would have liked to have seen Jaunich. I've seen his name a couple times on this thread. Can anyone elaborate? Was he a ball hawker or hard hitter or what?

Comment

Originally posted by BitsTD View Post
                                I would have liked to have seen Jaunich. I've seen his name a couple times on this thread. Can anyone elaborate? Was he a ball hawker or hard hitter or what?
                                Both. Was one of the top INT guys on the team and in the conference his last couple of years. Was a freshman in '91, shirt was pulled two games in because of injuries. Went about 6'2", low 200's. Played mostly safety but also some CB over his four years. He was one of those all-around athlete types. But if you asked me if he was an athlete or a football player I'd say he was a football player. There's a difference in my book. You can have a great athlete who can't do squat on the football field. Or you can have a great football player, who doesn't always look the part, but can also excel in other athletic pursuits. Mike was one of those guys. Didn't tear up the weight room. Didn't run the fastest. Just knew how to play the game and was in the right place at the right time often. Never stopped running his mouth though. Bugged the crap out of me even when I'd eat him alive in practice.

Comment

Working...
                                X