Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SDSU/USD Solution--Million Dollar Game

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
    Edit: Then buy season tickets for $100. I think your reaction is the same as a lot of people, but in the end a lot of people would say "crap, I guess I'll buy season tickets cause I really want to go to the game, and I like going to the Beef Bowl, Hobo Day, and NDSU game anyway. I've heard multiple people ask the same question regarding an $18 single game men's basketball ticket, but we still manage to draw over 2000 people a game...--End of Edit

The point of having this single game ticket $50 is to give incentive people to buy season tickets. I actually considered $100 for a single ticket to this game to encourage more people to buy season tickets, or the only way you get into the game is to buy season tickets or be a lottery winning student.

If only 6000 paying fans from each school could get a ticket to what would be one of the most hyped and talked about football games in the history of the state, I don't think $50 is that much.

I paid $90 dollars for the Summit League tournament pass without any guarantee that an SDSU team would even play... The women should, the men might, but $50 doesn't seem like a whole lot when season tickets are only $100, and there are a whole lot of folks who would want to see this game.
    You say the most hyped and talked about game? I think we already have that with NDSU. I really have not seen a good reason for us to play usd again. If you want to see quality football, come to the georgia southern game, or mcneese state or cal poly etc... who we play. I find those games much more interesting then ever having to play USD again. It was not really that hyped of a game for football the last 90 years we played um only when one team was really good was when there was any hype. Basketball is another story but for football who needs um. Let um struggle on their own. Giving up a home game to play them in SF helps them and hurts us by taking away a real home game, and I for one do not want that.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
      You say the most hyped and talked about game? I think we already have that with NDSU.
      And there would be something wrong with two big games per year?

I really have not seen a good reason for us to play usd again.
      I could give you about half a million good reasons, preceded by a $. I don't like USD either, and if it was up to me we wouldn't play them. BUT WE WILL PLAY THEM AGAIN, WHETHER THROUGH GOOD WILL OR MANDATE. The only question is whether SDSU will leverage the game to increase revenue and excitement. I understand students don't care about USD. Unfortunately, there are a lot of casual fans who do.

If you want to see quality football, come to the georgia southern game, or mcneese state or cal poly etc... who we play. I find those games much more interesting then ever having to play USD again.
      I am a season ticket holder, so I know who we play and the quality of competition, and its pretty good. The question is, what is going to get more people in SD talking who don't regularly read this board--we're already going to games--Cal Poly or a game against USD.

It was not really that hyped of a game for football the last 90 years we played um only when one team was really good was when there was any hype. Basketball is another story but for football who needs um.
      CAS has been around for about 50 years. 3 of the top 10 crowds in CAS history are against USD. 1 of the top 10 crowds in CAS history are against NDSU. Speaking of basketball, a similar plan for a basketball game in SF between SDSU/USD could have great results for season ticket sales and revenue for the athletic department.

Let um struggle on their own. Giving up a home game to play them in SF helps them and hurts us by taking away a real home game, and I for one do not want that.
      We don't have to give up a home game. We could give up an FBS game halfway across the country, get just as big of a payday, increase season ticket sales, increase attendance for all the other home games, and increase visibility of the program among casual fans in South Dakota.
      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
        I guess my first question for SF_Rabbit_Fan is: what makes you think that your revenue numbers are anywhere close to reasonable in the Sioux Falls market?

I don't mean that to be unnecessarily argumentative, but I see a lot of revenue projections--and no expenses and no particular reason to think that your revenue estimates would be accurate.

My point is that until I have an understanding of how you're coming up with your revenue numbers, it's not really possible to consider the proposal on anything but an emotional basis.

(I got the MBA, I might as well use it every once in a while! )
        I pulled the numbers out of my arse, so I could be off high or low. They seemed somewhat realistic (optimistic) to me, but obviously not to others here.
        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

To much thinking for me. I just have a B.S. degree, that's about all I'm good at. I will leave this type of thinking for the Masters and Doctorates at the HPER athletic administration offices.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
            And there would be something wrong with two big games per year?

I could give you about half a million good reasons, preceded by a $. I don't like USD either, and if it was up to me we wouldn't play them. BUT WE WILL PLAY THEM AGAIN, WHETHER THROUGH GOOD WILL OR MANDATE. The only question is whether SDSU will leverage the game to increase revenue and excitement. I understand students don't care about USD. Unfortunately, there are a lot of casual fans who do.

I am a season ticket holder, so I know who we play and the quality of competition, and its pretty good. The question is, what is going to get more people in SD talking who don't regularly read this board--we're already going to games--Cal Poly or a game against USD.

CAS has been around for about 50 years. 3 of the top 10 crowds in CAS history are against USD. 1 of the top 10 crowds in CAS history are against NDSU. Speaking of basketball, a similar plan for a basketball game in SF between SDSU/USD could have great results for season ticket sales and revenue for the athletic department.

We don't have to give up a home game. We could give up an FBS game halfway across the country, get just as big of a payday, increase season ticket sales, increase attendance for all the other home games, and increase visibility of the program among casual fans in South Dakota.
            I really don't know but i will ask to see what other people would think, but would the team rather have a smaller crowd of fans who attend rain or shine, compared to casual fans who are only interested in bad blood from years ago? Do they want to play for fans who just show up because they want to watch 2 teams that should "hate" each other play but not go to any other games of the year? I really don't know. I think they would want to play um again but is this the game that is going to turn causual fans in to season ticket holders or to get interested in SDSU football? If Cal Poly (I did not mean you, but the casual fan) etc....to get interested in good qaulity match ups I don't know how usd would help.

We would play 1 bsc game away, 4 confrence home, 4 confrence away, leaving 1 ooc away game and 1 ooc home game. I would not want to give up the BCS game for the garuntee money, untill we get that garuntee playin usd i wouldnt drop it. plus the chance to beat a nebraska, iowa state, minn....would be big hype for the school. 8 confrence games tie up most of our scheduling. If we take one ooc game and play it in SF either way its an away game. I do not know what pull in for a avg home game but is it worth it for not garunteed money to play a crappy old rival? maybe but If we do a home and away atleast it would count as our 1 ooc away game which would cut down on travel and fans could still go to and we could still keep our 1 ooc home date that year to play someone worth playing. if they do play again i would rather see it happen as home and away if it has to be. I do not know how they would schudule that game if it counts as home or away depending on who is the "home team" for the game. It might result in us losing a home game even though its a nuetral site which would not be a good think. 6 away games, 4 in CAS and 1 in SF does not sound like a good deal. maybe only play USD in CAS and SF making them have that as their home game. I could handle that. We wouldnt have to play in the dump and they get to play us its a win win but would never happen that way.

The top crowds im sure where when one of the teams was highly ranked too for the games at CAS. If you look at the transition we are putting up those numbers against schools fans really do not know much of, just wait till they know these confrence teams attendance will surely go up.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

I am a season ticket holder and have been for more years than I want to say. That just means I am of some age not that I have not enjoyed SDSU football - I indeed have. I for one would have absouletly no appetite to ever play USD again in any sport. Plus, I have a couple of concerns about playing any game in Sioux Falls that should be played in Brookings.

Other teams on our schedule will in the future be more attractive than a USD game. Lets imagine recruiting a young man from out of state and part of the recruitment was our schedule. Telling the recruit that we have USD on our schedule or Georgia Southern for example. Wisc or USD, Iowa State of USD. I could go on but my point is certainly that a USD on the SDSU schedule would not get me excited as a recruit.

Secondly you would feel quit different if you owned a business in Brookings and see potential games moving to Sioux Falls. It literally means thousands of dollars for each game played in Brookings for the Brookings business community.

Lets leave USD flounder as they have absolutely NOTHING to offer us at this time.

GBGBGJ

Comment

I've spoken to a lot of people close to the program and none of them have endorsed the idea of a football game with USD in Sioux Falls. These are former players, coaches, people in admin. I'd say you would be hard pressed to find anybody who was subject to what the rivalry had deteriorated into the last 15 years who would endorse renewing it. If they would, it would almost certainly be on our terms, on our campus and not at the expense of a higher quality opponent.

That said, if it has to happen (I sure as heck hope our legislators don't waste time on this) play the game at CAS where you can accommodate the most fans.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Can we let this idea die? First of all, SDSU does not have an opening in the schedule for some time...2012? Secondly, if this rivalry is resumed, it would be similar to the Iowa/Iowa State game. It's always the cyclones' super bowl and the only thing the hawkeyes are playing for is to avoid embarassment. Also, our coaches, players, and fans' ultimate goal is to make the playoffs and win championships. We don't need to pride ourselves on a "state championship", we're better than that. Lastly, it would be a diservice to Jacks fans if the game is not played in Brookings, because there is no venue in the state that could hold the game. Howard wood would be packed to the gills and there would still be people without a seat, and there is no way ever we are going to play in front of 10,000 fans at the dome ever again. Can we forget about it?

Comment

All in favor of a kill thread say aye...aye

Comment

Aye aye!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitden View Post
                        All in favor of a kill thread say aye...aye
                        If you don't like the thread then you don't have to read it but let those who want to discus the topic continue, with that said, aye aye cap'n.

Comment

I never said I didnt like it but you can only kick a dead horse so long...guess what, it is still a dead horse.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitden View Post
                            I never said I didnt like it but you can only kick a dead horse so long...guess what, it is still a dead horse.
                            I'm not sure about that, Chuck Norris kicked a dead horse so hard one time........ it died again.
                            LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
                              I'm not sure about that, Chuck Norris kicked a dead horse so hard one time........ it died again.
                              Rep points!

Comment

Good, get Chuck and make sure this one is dead.

Comment

Working...
                                X