2009 Recruiting Class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2009 Recruiting Class

I saw on the news and heard on the radio that Jordan Gacke is going to UNI. Don't have a link.

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
      I would assume that you don't think that SDSU's preferred walk-on program is anything analogous to UNL's though, correct? I tend to think we aren't masquerading it as something its not. Many preferred walk-ons receive scholarships later on in their careers. Bigblue alluded to the fact that it guarantees a spot on the roster in fall camp and I believe he earned one of these spots a while back. He might be able to shed some more light on it or perhaps a former football player could expand on this for us. A typical walk-on tries out at the beginning of the school year to earn a chance I believe. There in lies the difference.

Just an example - John Perry, former starting safety, walked on at the beginning of his freshman year. He tried out in the fall and had never been recruited by SDSU.

EDIT: EQguy has explained it in much more concise terms. Sorry for doubling up everyone.
      Joe and NoVAJack explained my views. No I do not think the Jacks have abused the walk-on or preferred wallk-on classification. I was referring more to the Nebraska and Wisconsins of the world. I actually think history shows the players the Jacks have invited have a legitimate chance of getting on the field and just got caught up in a scholarship numbers game. I still would not blame some of those hardship kids if they choose a DII that can better help them pay for college.

Comment

I believe the NCAA mandates the number of players a school can bring into their camps....this was done (just as scholarship limits) for the trickle down effect to take place....rather than the big boys hording all the talent.
        Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision.
        Muhammad Ali

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
          I hope not. Having TV in the war room is great press and something that can reach folks not near Brookings (and able to attend the Cubby's event), and has a lasting effect on the Argus Leader website. Last year I thought it brought a very human side to the recruiting process and left our coaching staff in a glowing light.

I live in Brookings, could attend the signing day party, and still would like to see the commit blog that TV puts out throughout the day.
          Agreed. It was really cool to check in every hour or so to see who they brought in. It was also interesting to see the "so called drama" with Holt and him deciding not to sign. It makes me wonder how common this is to have kids change their mind at the last minute.

Comment

I do remember a Michigan State coach and a Michigan coach getting into it on the door step of a recruit (on signing day). Needless to say, he didn't come to the door and ended up going to SMU(post probation).....This signing by fax has eliminated some of the problems that can occur
            Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision.
            Muhammad Ali

Comment

It's being reported by the two time runner up in the Border Battle that Cooper Wahlo Jr has given them his commitment. Sounded like a pretty good get for them, I was hoping to see him as a Jack!

Comment

Originally posted by RABBITALUM08 View Post
                It's being reported by the two time runner up in the Border Battle that Cooper Wahlo Jr has given them his commitment. Sounded like a pretty good get for them, I was hoping to see him as a Jack!
                That would be correct. As reported by the Bison Media Blog.

Comment

Originally posted by rational thought View Post
                  I do remember a Michigan State coach and a Michigan coach getting into it on the door step of a recruit (on signing day). Needless to say, he didn't come to the door and ended up going to SMU(post probation).....This signing by fax has eliminated some of the problems that can occur
                  If this happened recently my guess is the MSU coach signed the player simply by running over the Michigan coach, reflective of their respective teams. Then the Michigan fans blamed the incident on the previous coach's recruiting and a couple of players that left early for the NFL.

Comment

List updates:

Matt Inman - QB - Yuma, AZ - East Valley Tribune
                    VISITED SDSU 1/16/09 (POSSIBLE OTHER QB THAT HAS BEEN MENTIONED)

Kelan Richardson - FB - SouthernCal HS, IA
                    (Was being looked at by USD not SDSU)

Zach Cutkomp - RB - West Des Moines, IA
                    (COMMITTED TO UNI)
                    Per UNI's fan forum

Darrin Emmeck - DL - Somerset, WI
                    (COMMITTED TO MIN-MOOREHEAD)
                    Through D2 fan forum

Brooks Mosier - DE - Lees Summit, MO

Mike Zimmer - S - Wheeling HS, IL
                    (COMMITTED TO ILLINOIS ST)
                    http://football.dailyherald.com/story/?id=267968

Comment

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...t.3d2f199.html

"A grayshirt describes an athlete who graduates from high school in the spring, sits out the fall term, then enrolls the following spring. The reasons can vary from a major injury to academic qualifying issues to a recruiting class that exceeds the 25-scholarship limit. "

I don't know much about all of the recruiting limits, but is this a route we could follow to get kids we need with our limited number schollies available this year? Would gray shirters count against this class's total or the next?
                      Last edited by ringthebells; 02-02-2009, 08:30 AM.
                      One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell View Post
                        List updates:

Matt Inman - QB - Yuma, AZ - East Valley Tribune
                        VISITED SDSU 1/16/09 (POSSIBLE OTHER QB THAT HAS BEEN MENTIONED)

Kelan Richardson - FB - SouthernCal HS, IA

Zach Cutkomp - RB - West Des Moines, IA
                        (COMMITTED TO UNI)
                        Per UNI's fan forum

Darrin Emmeck - DL - Somerset, WI
                        (COMMITTED TO MIN-MOOREHEAD)
                        Through D2 fan forum

Brooks Mosier - DE - Lees Summit, MO

Mike Zimmer - S - Wheeling HS, IL
                        (COMMITTED TO ILLINOIS ST)
                        http://football.dailyherald.com/story/?id=267968
                        Thanks for the updates, much apprecaited. I've updated the list along with some links I found on each of the guys.

I've removed Mosier from the list per this article. I'll take your word it on Richardson.

Comment

Per TV's blog, Stig says he expects to sign 17 players and three preferred walk-on's. According to the numbers that means we still don't know about at least three verbals (or maybe five if as transfers, Mondol and Whittier aren't included in Stig's reference) and two walk-ons. Anybody have any info on this last bunch or will we be surprised by a few tomorrow?
                          Last edited by jackrabbit1979; 02-03-2009, 12:46 PM. Reason: grammer
                          "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Per TV's blog, Stig says he expects to sign 17 players and three preferred walk-on's. According to the numbers that means we still don't know about at least three verbals (or maybe five if as transfers, Mondol and Whittier aren't included in Stig's reference) and two walk-ons. Anybody have any info on this last bunch or will be surprised by a few tomorrow?
                            I've been hearing about a young man from Columbus, NE. He competed against Eric Koehlmoos from Pierce and according to his aunt he is all but certain he will play football at SDSU. I can't remember his name right now but I'll try to get it today. I haven't posted anything because the source would be extended family and I'm not sure thats good enough. Now that its down to 1 more day, I figure a little speculation won't hurt.
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Per TV's blog, Stig says he expects to sign 17 players and three preferred walk-on's. According to the numbers that means we still don't know about at least three verbals (or maybe five if as transfers, Mondol and Whittier aren't included in Stig's reference) and two walk-ons. Anybody have any info on this last bunch or will we be surprised by a few tomorrow?
                              I'm guessing the 17 includes the transfers since they are essentially part of this recruiting class. There will likely be some surprises as their always is.

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if the DT Sioux Falls player who supposedly verballed to SDSU ends up being one of the walk-ons.

That would help explain why we are short on DT's and DE's. I'm guessing Chase Douglas will end up being a DT.

Also, does anybody know who our back-up center is? Robling graduated and I assume McKnight will replace him, but who will be the backup to McKnight?

I'm looking forward to tomorrow. Hopefully there will be a youtube video breaking down the recruits like they've done in years past.

Comment

Working...
                                X