Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2009 Recruiting Class

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
    I have to laugh the way some of these BCS schools try to sugarcoat and elevate the whole "preferred walk-on program. At the end of the day it's big schools trying to get something for nothing.

Just a thought. Should NCAA take a look at this "preferred walk-on" stuff?
    By definition, doesn't it imply offering something that a general walk-on would not get, right? If it doesn't challenge the letter of the law capping scholarships it certainly challenges the spirit if the law. Kind of a scholarship taxi squad if you ask me.

I can see a whole subset of walk-on categories developing:
    Super-preferred Walk-on
    Supersized Super-Preferred Walk-on
    And, finally, the Jog On (you get on the practice field before the regular and supersized walk-ons).

Comment

I have to laugh the way some of these BCS schools try to sugarcoat and elevate the whole "preferred walk-on program. At the end of the day it's big schools trying to get something for nothing.

Don't we have a few of what you are making fun of? I believe Will Castle last year was a preferred walk-on.
      One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

I believe a preferred walk on is guaranteed a spot on the team or a spot in fall camp.

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
          Don't we have a few of what you are making fun of? I believe Will Castle last year was a preferred walk-on.
          Than we are just as guilty. If a kid wants to accept the terms of a walk-on than so be it. To me it seems some schools are masquerading it as something it's not.

Comment

The problem with preferred walk ons is that some schools are giving them away like candy and they aren't technically preferred walk-ons.... SDSU and others will have 3-8 spots a year where they are preferred walk-ons meaning that they are recruited kids who either weren't quite up to snuff for a scholarship or there wasn't one available. However most of them eventually are put on some type of scholarship if they stay around a year or 2. The problem is there is programs like Nebraska and other D-I schools that are praised in there home states that give away walk-ons to kids who were good high school kids in the state they probably won't see time on the field at all but we don't want them to get out of the state and make it look like we blew it on a kid so we are going to give him a preferred walk on though its more like an invite to walk on because many of them aren't on the training camp roster.....

Comment

I do believe that also Prefferred Walk ons are invited to fall camp where other walk ons have to wait until school starts. The difference between SDSU and say Nebraska is that Nebraska will allow something like 25 - 30 preferred spots while SDSU will offer around 5.
              "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
              -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUJack3031 View Post
                Will Terry be doing his live blog on signing day again this year. It was interesting with what happened with Holt and how it unfolded.
                Not sure about TV blogging, but there will be a bash at Cubby's that night:

SOUTH DAKOTA STATE ATHLETICS TO HOST NATIONAL SIGNING DAY PARTY NEXT WED., FEB. 4

South Dakota State athletics invites you to attend a national signing day celebration. Next Wednesday, February 4 is NCAA National Signing Day and Jackrabbit coaches will publically announce this year’s recruiting classes for the first time. Please join us for an evening of fun and Jackrabbit cheer at Cubby’s!

Hear for the first time the names that will dominate the grid-iron and soccer fields for the Jacks in the upcoming years. Head Football Coach, John Stiegelmeier, and Head Soccer Coach, Lang Wedemeyer (of the defending Summit League Champion Jackrabbits) will be in attendance to brief all SDSU fans on their incoming recruiting classes. You’ll also have a one-time opportunity that evening to view a highlight video featuring this year’s incoming football recruits, narrated by Coach Stig!

The evening starts with a social hour from 5:30 – 6:30pm. The Jackrabbit coaches will preview this year’s recruiting classes beginning at 6:30pm.
                This event is open to all Jackrabbit fans. No tickets are necessary and no registration fees are required. The event is free to the general public.
                @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                  The problem with preferred walk ons is that some schools are giving them away like candy and they aren't technically preferred walk-ons.... SDSU and others will have 3-8 spots a year where they are preferred walk-ons meaning that they are recruited kids who either weren't quite up to snuff for a scholarship or there wasn't one available. However most of them eventually are put on some type of scholarship if they stay around a year or 2. The problem is there is programs like Nebraska and other D-I schools that are praised in there home states that give away walk-ons to kids who were good high school kids in the state they probably won't see time on the field at all but we don't want them to get out of the state and make it look like we blew it on a kid so we are going to give him a preferred walk on though its more like an invite to walk on because many of them aren't on the training camp roster.....
                  Following on this post. The point is that the label distorts the genuine meaning of walk-on. Walkon once was defined by the true underdog who showed up unheralded and uninvited and basically got into the game through grit and determination. Who doesn't tear up for Rudy every single time they show it?

"Preferred" and "walkon" are oxymoronic, or at least they used to be.

If you're going to creat a subcategory above the guy walking in unannounced with just a dream, call it something else. Like non-scholarship invitee. Or player we'd like to have but the NCAA rules won't allow us.

Finally, were there "preferred" walkons back in the days when big schools could offer many more scholarships? Don't think so.

Comment

Than we are just as guilty. If a kid wants to accept the terms of a walk-on than so be it. To me it seems some schools are masquerading it as something it's not.
                    I would assume that you don't think that SDSU's preferred walk-on program is anything analogous to UNL's though, correct? I tend to think we aren't masquerading it as something its not. Many preferred walk-ons receive scholarships later on in their careers. Bigblue alluded to the fact that it guarantees a spot on the roster in fall camp and I believe he earned one of these spots a while back. He might be able to shed some more light on it or perhaps a former football player could expand on this for us. A typical walk-on tries out at the beginning of the school year to earn a chance I believe. There in lies the difference.

Just an example - John Perry, former starting safety, walked on at the beginning of his freshman year. He tried out in the fall and had never been recruited by SDSU.

EDIT: EQguy has explained it in much more concise terms. Sorry for doubling up everyone.
                    "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                    "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUJack3031 View Post
                      Will Terry be doing his live blog on signing day again this year. It was interesting with what happened with Holt and how it unfolded.
                      He said he would be blogging on signing today in his chat room.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfaninne View Post
                        Not sure about TV blogging, but there will be a bash at Cubby's that night:

SOUTH DAKOTA STATE ATHLETICS TO HOST NATIONAL SIGNING DAY PARTY NEXT WED., FEB. 4

South Dakota State athletics invites you to attend a national signing day celebration. Next Wednesday, February 4 is NCAA National Signing Day and Jackrabbit coaches will publically announce this year’s recruiting classes for the first time. Please join us for an evening of fun and Jackrabbit cheer at Cubby’s!

Hear for the first time the names that will dominate the grid-iron and soccer fields for the Jacks in the upcoming years. Head Football Coach, John Stiegelmeier, and Head Soccer Coach, Lang Wedemeyer (of the defending Summit League Champion Jackrabbits) will be in attendance to brief all SDSU fans on their incoming recruiting classes. You’ll also have a one-time opportunity that evening to view a highlight video featuring this year’s incoming football recruits, narrated by Coach Stig!

The evening starts with a social hour from 5:30 – 6:30pm. The Jackrabbit coaches will preview this year’s recruiting classes beginning at 6:30pm.
                        This event is open to all Jackrabbit fans. No tickets are necessary and no registration fees are required. The event is free to the general public.
                        I wonder how this will cut into Terry's live blog. He said he hadn't heard back from the coaches yet. If they are intending on announcing the commits at that time it would be likely they won't release the names earlier in the day.
                        "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                        -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by EQguy View Post
                          I wonder how this will cut into Terry's live blog. He said he hadn't heard back from the coaches yet. If they are intending on announcing the commits at that time it would be likely they won't release the names earlier in the day.
                          I hope not. Having TV in the war room is great press and something that can reach folks not near Brookings (and able to attend the Cubby's event), and has a lasting effect on the Argus Leader website. Last year I thought it brought a very human side to the recruiting process and left our coaching staff in a glowing light.

I live in Brookings, could attend the signing day party, and still would like to see the commit blog that TV puts out throughout the day.
                          "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

When I walked on for football in spring 1974 I think it was as a
                            "who the hell is this guy" walk on.

Comment

At least you weren't told, "Get the hell out of here!"

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                                Who doesn't tear up for Rudy every single time they show it?
                                I don't actually but some people don't think I have a soul because of my hair color, watch the South Park "Ginger" episode if you are confused. I'm a huge Notre Dame fan but not a crier.

Anyway to the topic at hand, this recruiting class looks incredibly strong. I can't remember what Stig told me last year about the preferred walk-ons

Just found it, taken from the story I did on the recruiting class last year

On Feb. 6th the Jacks added 19 players to their roster, including three preferred walk-ons that had been recruited by the Jacks but couldn’t offer scholarships whether it is due to the lack of money or spots. This past season turned out to be a big reason why the Jacks got the recruits they wanted.

Comment

Working...
                                X