Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2009 Recruiting Class

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
    Excuse my football ignorance, but what is position is a ATH?
    Sorry, my long winded response was late to jacksfaninne:

I'll field this one...

There is not an actual "ATH" position on the football field. When a recruit is labeled as an "ATH", it means he is beign recruited primarily for his athletic ability, and that a specific position has not be set by the coaching staff.

Example: Many "ATH's" play QB in high school and then switch to a playmaking position in college, such as a WR, DB, S, etc.

This is a pretty sad definition, but I hope it clears things up a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Rabbit View Post
      Even if we do have 9 scholarships available, they aren't all given out as full-rides. We should see a 3-4 more guys come in on scholarship.
      Good point, shouldn't post before having coffee in the morning.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Has there been any solid confirmation on Giessler leaving the program or any other athletes? I'm assuming if he was on scholarship that should open up another for a new recruit.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
          Has there been any solid confirmation on Giessler leaving the program or any other athletes? I'm assuming if he was on scholarship that should open up another for a new recruit.
          I hope you're right, but I'd doubt if he was on much of a scholarship - if anything at all. Here is some solid confirmation on him trasfering (see Transfers section at the bottom of the page):

http://www.wissports.net/sports/foot...=113&id=936912

Comment

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...DATES/90121049

Phil Wright from O'Gorman chooses UNI....
            "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Kidlow to walk on for NU.
              http://journalstar.com/blog/huskers....&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Comment

Sorry, my long winded response was late to jacksfaninne:

I'll field this one...

There is not an actual "ATH" position on the football field. When a recruit is labeled as an "ATH", it means he is beign recruited primarily for his athletic ability, and that a specific position has not be set by the coaching staff.

Example: Many "ATH's" play QB in high school and then switch to a playmaking position in college, such as a WR, DB, S, etc.

This is a pretty sad definition, but I hope it clears things up a bit.
                Always thought it meant, "Athlete That Hits."

Comment

I hope you're right, but I'd doubt if he was on much of a scholarship - if anything at all. Here is some solid confirmation on him trasfering (see Transfers section at the bottom of the page):

http://www.wissports.net/sports/foot...=113&id=936912

Im pretty sure he was on a full scholarship. he was a highly touted recruit out of high school.

Comment

Originally posted by ausbesticide View Post
                    Im pretty sure he was on a full scholarship. he was a highly touted recruit out of high school.
                    Not sure what "pretty sure" means. Either you know or you don't know. Fact is, our coaches must have felt it was okay to let him go. If you know better please take it up with them. I, for one, wish Stephan the best of luck elsewhere.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Yeah he just never really caught any breaks while he was here. He was hurt quite a bit, moved positions, got stuck behind some pretty good RB's, etc. He did run very hard and the only way that I really saw him getting in the game was as a short yardage back and on special teams. Good luck to him though, very nice kid. I would also agree that he was on a pretty significant scholarship though IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                        Not sure what "pretty sure" means. Either you know or you don't know. Fact is, our coaches must have felt it was okay to let him go. If you know better please take it up with them. I, for one, wish Stephan the best of luck elsewhere.
                        Well I never asked Stefan whether he was on full scholarship but I'm 99% sure that he was from talking with him. He was highly recruited out of Wisconsin (NDSU being one of these pursuers) and I doubt he ventured over to South Dakota State with little financial incentive, as he had no SDSU ties before hand.
                        If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                        - Steven Wright

Comment

Thanks for the updates everyone. I've updated the list!

Comment

According to TV, another QB has committed.

Lee Mondol from Calf expected to register today.

Also, TV has posted a list of recreuits that have committed.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack4Life View Post
                              According to TV, another QB has committed.

Lee Mondol from Calf expected to register today.

Also, TV has posted a list of recreuits that have committed.
                              TV has some YouTube video of Mondol. Looks like he played some pretty high-level juco football out there. (By the way, how do we get some of those big, fast receivers he's throwing to in that video?)

Given that Mondol's going to be a junior, I would bet he'll end up being our QB (assuming Crawford can't go) because of his experience. If talent levels are at all equivalent, I can't imagine Stig starting a freshman or sophomore over a guy who's played a lot of juco ball and who spent his redshirt year at Michigan.
                              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I wouldn't count out Thomas O'Brien. Everyone is getting excited by our new editions, and rightfully so, but O'Brien has done everything he was supposed to do. He came here as a highly touted recruit, led the practice squad, has put on the added muscle, and is a supposedly a great leader.
                                Depth is a good thing to have, and the Jacks might have 3 QB's who could all vie for a starting spot. It should be a fun spring.

Comment

Working...
                                X