Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Crawford or ?

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
    It's without doubt the outlook is good for Crawford to be the NO 1 guy next year, but I was a little surprised that we were not fully three deep at qb at the NDSU game. Corey Jeske apparently made a choice to switch to safety. It appears that he did not think he would make a rep as a qb and if he wanted playing time, he had to move on to another position.

I guess what I dont understand is why we are not three deep at QB and maybe next year we will. We need to do something to keep the the third stringer interested in being a qb, as a game like NDSU and boom the the third string guy is now no 1. Thats the part that bothers me, otherwise I have no guessing about what our coaching staff is doing and I trust their choices.
    I have no inside information, but I highly doubt that it was Jeske's choice to move to safety, I'm sure that was a coaches decision to move him there.

You're right that the scenario should have been considered before it came down to it, I guess those are the chances you take with your red-shirted freshman being the scout team QB.

Comment

I take it someone dinged your rep? I think Mike has the talent but he did have some drops. Everyone drops one so it isn't a huge slam on him. Sometimes it's the receivers fault, sometimes it's the QB, and sometimes just AOG.

(Supposed to be a reply to BitsTD)
      Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Originally posted by bub94 View Post
        I take it someone dinged your rep? I think Mike has the talent but he did have some drops. Everyone drops one so it isn't a huge slam on him. Sometimes it's the receivers fault, sometimes it's the QB, and sometimes just AOG.

(Supposed to be a reply to BitsTD)
        I don't know about rep points, but a scathing PM

Comment

As far as Mike Steffen I think he is a good WR.... He won't light it up and won't get a lot of yards but he does a lot of little things right and always seems to be open on those short passes..... Fox is good.... I don't know where Iverson and some of those redshirt freshman are on the charts....

As far as carrying 3 QB..... The thing is until half way threw I'm willing to bet O'Brien was on the depth chart, possibly even #2, depending on the extent of the injury..... You also have Iverson who was a QB last year..... Its one of those things where how often do you need a 3rd string QB?

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
            As far as carrying 3 QB..... The thing is until half way threw I'm willing to bet O'Brien was on the depth chart, possibly even #2, depending on the extent of the injury..... You also have Iverson who was a QB last year..... Its one of those things where how often do you need a 3rd string QB?
            O'Brien was never anywhere on the depth chart in reality or in anybody's minds. Iverson is a receiver only, and is apparently going to be a good one in the mold of Glen Fox.

Really what's going on here is the nature of football. Older guys are generally more mature, both physically and mentally, and thus are more ready to play. That's particularly true in a system like Stig's that values the leadership and intangibles that upperclassmen bring to the field.

I have nothing to base this on. But I think we'll see another QB or two in camp in the spring, juco or FBS transfer. That isn't a slam on O'Brien at all. He'll get two or three years as a starter depending on when he's ready. And it's not a slam on Crawford, who will get his chance to win the job.

That's just my sense. Not based on any hard evidence.
            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I heard that Nate Tice (big Mike's boy) was in town this week. He is transferring from UCF somewhere up here; SDSU, Montana, ?

story in Orlando Sentinel:

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/spo...rt-freshm.html

Comment

Originally posted by oldalum View Post
                I heard that Nate Tice (big Mike's boy) was in town this week. He is transferring from UCF somewhere up here; SDSU, Montana, ?

story in Orlando Sentinel:

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/spo...rt-freshm.html
                Yup. Lots more info, starting here:

http://www.sdsufans.com/board/showth...7334#post97334
                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Working...
                X