Crawford or ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Crawford or ?

I agree may the best man win the job, but have to believe Crawford will get the nod. I'm also curious about some of the recievers we have not seen like Teddy Shonka and Aaron Rollin. Did Rollin have his redshirt pulled as I could have swore I saw him dressed and on the sidelines. Maybe he dressed, but did not get in the game. Justin Mitchell played sparingly. Will be great to get Saunders back. Can anyone report how Shonka and Rollin have looked on the scout teams in practice? They are both big solid recievers 6'2 200+.

Comment

I think it will depend on numerous things..... If O'Brian is clearly the best qb he will be the starter.... If the talent level is similar the upperclassman gets the nod....

As far as receivers I don't think its going to be that bad... Glen Fox and Mike Steffen return, 2 good receivers.... And others will fill in the gaps....

Comment

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post
        I'm no way in favor of "he's paid his dues so he should get to start". May the best man win.

I remember when Noel Bouche beat out Bill Perron (who was the senior returning starter) when Daly was coaching. Noel was the better QB that year and deserved to start.
        I'm not saying that. But given the value the coaches put on maturity and experience, paying the dues in this case means that Crawford is very likely better prepared to play.
        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post
          I'm no way in favor of "he's paid his dues so he should get to start". May the best man win.

I remember when Noel Bouche beat out Bill Perron (who was the senior returning starter) when Daly was coaching. Noel was the better QB that year and deserved to start.
          I remember him, thats Bobbys brother right? you can do it.

Goon
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
            I agree may the best man win the job, but have to believe Crawford will get the nod. I'm also curious about some of the recievers we have not seen like Teddy Shonka and Aaron Rollin. Did Rollin have his redshirt pulled as I could have swore I saw him dressed and on the sidelines. Maybe he dressed, but did not get in the game. Justin Mitchell played sparingly. Will be great to get Saunders back. Can anyone report how Shonka and Rollin have looked on the scout teams in practice? They are both big solid recievers 6'2 200+.

Rollin dressed for every game but I don't believe he played a down. He should have 4 years left in a SDSU jersey.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
              As far as receivers I don't think its going to be that bad... Glen Fox and Mike Steffen return, 2 good receivers.... And others will fill in the gaps....
              I wasn't impressed with Steffen this year. Seems like he had a lot of drops. What about Hylland and Iverson? Will they contribute as recievers or do we just have that many good ones? I have all the faith in the world in Fox.

Comment

Originally posted by BitsTD View Post
                I wasn't impressed with Steffen this year. Seems like he had a lot of drops. What about Hylland and Iverson? Will they contribute as recievers or do we just have that many good ones? I have all the faith in the world in Fox.
                With Fox, Steffen maybe gettin a few more attemps, Gant, a few young guys who have some talent might get a good chance and spread it around with harris gone. Seems to me Mitchell had a case of the dropsies a few times this year. I really think our recieving is going to be deeper this year then any year past. Hopefully thats not something we will experience much of. Im guessing a Better playing O-line with minnett and Duffy and Co getting 2000-2500 plus yards this year running takin a lot of pressure of the new qb who will not have to shoulder the load. If the line does not improve play and we keep getting sacked a lot still its going to be a long year against some of these teams. I see the key being the Oline play going into next year, not the qb. The better the Line plays the better the QB can play, plus allowing the running game more solid blocking to get through some holes.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Originally posted by fabio208 View Post
                  To me it seems like Crawfords delivery takes to long on his throws.. It was like he was throwing in slow motion. maybe it's just because I'm so used to Berry.. I know the coaching staff will make the best choice.. my gut instinct says O'Brien
                  Really? I think it is the exact opposite. Berry has a relatively slow release and that was the first thing I noticed when Crawford went into the game.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                    Im guessing a Better playing O-line with minnett and Duffy and Co getting 2000-2500 plus yards this year running takin a lot of pressure of the new qb who will not have to shoulder the load.
                    Not an attack on you goon, just a question. What's the gaurantee our O-line will be better? I thought they were are weakest part this year, and we're losing Robling at Center.
                    LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
                      Not an attack on you goon, just a question. What's the gaurantee our O-line will be better? I thought they were are weakest part this year, and we're losing Robling at Center.
                      We lost more last year then this year and we had injuries and a shuffeled around line. With most coming back gaining a year of conditioning and experience i would expect them to play better, plus with a slew of good young linemen waiting for their chance which adds depth. hopefully injuries are not a factor and we have better depth. I dont have any quarantee but I think it would be hard for them to not improve over what they did this year.

Comment

Originally posted by launcher46 View Post
                        Really? I think it is the exact opposite. Berry has a relatively slow release and that was the first thing I noticed when Crawford went into the game.
                        Crawford has an unusual throwing motion that goes straight over the top. He even had to alter his jersey because it hampered his motion. So it's a big swing where Berry has a more traditional motion. I don't know who's quicker getting the ball off. What Berry teaches us is that knowledge of the system, maturity and accuracy are more important than a Marino-like delivery or a big gun anyway.

Crawford's a smart young man. He's a little bit of a goof (remember underwear man from the basketball game a couple years ago... that was him). He's a little more athletic than Ryan Berry. I trust the coaches to figure this out and to get him prepared. Stig said yesterday that spring ball will be huge for Crawford, since he'll get a lot of reps for the first time in his career.
                        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                          Crawford has an unusual throwing motion that goes straight over the top. He even had to alter his jersey because it hampered his motion. So it's a big swing where Berry has a more traditional motion. I don't know who's quicker getting the ball off. What Berry teaches us is that knowledge of the system, maturity and accuracy are more important than a Marino-like delivery or a big gun anyway.

Crawford's a smart young man. He's a little bit of a goof (remember underwear man from the basketball game a couple years ago... that was him). He's a little more athletic than Ryan Berry. I trust the coaches to figure this out and to get him prepared. Stig said yesterday that spring ball will be huge for Crawford, since he'll get a lot of reps for the first time in his career.
                          One thing neither player did well was get rid of the ball quicker or know when to roll out of the pocket and throw the ball away when the pocket is collapsing. I think about the Cal Poly game in particular. I think we took way too many sacks and many of those sacks should not be attributed to the offensive line, but rather to the quarterback for not making quicker decisions or the recievers for not coming back to the ball.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                            One thing neither player did well was get rid of the ball quicker or know when to roll out of the pocket and throw the ball away when the pocket is collapsing. I think about the Cal Poly game in particular. I think we took way too many sacks and many of those sacks should not be attributed to the offensive line, but rather to the quarterback for not making quicker decisions or the recievers for not coming back to the ball.
                            I can agree with this statement, but I also acknowledge that Berry made some outstanding plays with pressure in his face. I think that is his style, hang in there as long as possible and make the play. I do respect that he is not afraid to take a hit and stand tall and make the throw, but it did drive me bonkers sometimes when he might have been able to squirt out of the collapsing pocket and run a little bit. Its not like he was a statue or anything.
                            "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                            "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

It's without doubt the outlook is good for Crawford to be the NO 1 guy next year, but I was a little surprised that we were not fully three deep at qb at the NDSU game. Corey Jeske apparently made a choice to switch to safety. It appears that he did not think he would make a rep as a qb and if he wanted playing time, he had to move on to another position.

I guess what I dont understand is why we are not three deep at QB and maybe next year we will. We need to do something to keep the the third stringer interested in being a qb, as a game like NDSU and boom the the third string guy is now no 1. Thats the part that bothers me, otherwise I have no guessing about what our coaching staff is doing and I trust their choices.

Comment

Originally posted by BitsTD View Post
                                I wasn't impressed with Steffen this year. Seems like he had a lot of drops.
                                I touched a nerve with someone on this post. I am sorry if I offended the board for stating what I saw at the home games this year. Maybe I was seeing things that weren't there. I didn't mean for it to be a dig at Steffen only that he could improve which is the whole point of the off-season.

Comment

Working...
                                X