Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2009 Schedule

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
    I thought as long as the FCS team average 57 schollies over the last two seasons that the FBS team could count the win towards bowl eligibility? Isn't that why SDSU couldn't get one scheduled until this year?
    That is partly true but from what I understand they still can't count an FCS win every year. I could be wrong and I know there are several of the Bison fans that understand the exact rules better than me but I'm pretty sure FBS teams can't count a win against FCS teams towards bowl elegibility every year. That doesn't mean they won't play FCS teams, a win is a win.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I really like our team coming back next year, but don't underestimate the impact of a new, unproven QB. Berry made it look relatively easy most of the time, but he was making some pretty difficult throws a lot of the time. Don't forget how rough he looked the first couple of games of his career. Playing QB well is not so easy of a task. Ask the Bison fans. Also, Jaron Harris is a big loss. He really stretched the field and allowed Fox to get favorable coverages in the underneath and shorter routes.

Looking at our first four games, I'd say a 2-2 start is the worst case scenario. 4-0 preferred, but 3-1 more likely. Anyone have any idea what Georgia Southern has coming back next year? Cal Poly may be reloading on O, but their D is almost entirely back from what they had this year. Both of those games are going to be battles.
      "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
        That is partly true but from what I understand they still can't count an FCS win every year. I could be wrong and I know there are several of the Bison fans that understand the exact rules better than me but I'm pretty sure FBS teams can't count a win against FCS teams towards bowl elegibility every year. That doesn't mean they won't play FCS teams, a win is a win.
        I'm pretty sure that back when FBS teams could only play 11 games they could only count 1 FCS win towards bowl eligibility every 4 years. With the addition of the 12 game for FBS they can count 1 FCS win every year. And the FCS team has to averege more then 57 scollies over the last two years for it to count.

In 2008, there are 13 Saturday playing dates that fall between the allowable NCAA kickoff time of Labor Day weekend and the NCAA close of regular-season business on Thanksgiving. Usually, there are 12. With the extra available date, the NCAA permits FCS schools to play 12 games rather than maintaining the ordinary 11-game maximum. This was also the case in 2002 and 2003. After this year, 12-game schedules will again be allowed in 2013, 2014 and 2019.
        Go State! Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by SDSU_TUBA View Post
          I'm pretty sure that back when FBS teams could only play 11 games they could only count 1 FCS win towards bowl eligibility every 4 years. With the addition of the 12 game for FBS they can count 1 FCS win every year. And the FCS team has to averege more then 57 scollies over the last two years for it to count.

In 2008, there are 13 Saturday playing dates that fall between the allowable NCAA kickoff time of Labor Day weekend and the NCAA close of regular-season business on Thanksgiving. Usually, there are 12. With the extra available date, the NCAA permits FCS schools to play 12 games rather than maintaining the ordinary 11-game maximum. This was also the case in 2002 and 2003. After this year, 12-game schedules will again be allowed in 2013, 2014 and 2019.
          Well, there you go. When I visit with my students I always warn them about patients who know just enough to be really confused and dangerous. Sometimes its better to be totally naive then to understand so little that you make things more difficult. Anybody understand what I'm trying to say here?

Tuba seems to have the correct info, at least it makes sense to me.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
            Berry made it look relatively easy most of the time, but he was making some pretty difficult throws a lot of the time.
            This is my biggest concern as well. One great example would be the throw against NDSU when Jaron got laid out. I was watching the game the other day, again, and he's one of a handful of QBs in the nation that could have completed that throw...I'm absolutely convinced of that. He was running out of time, moving in the pocket, a little off balance, and threaded it between 3 guys. Give credit to Jaron for even catching the ball in that tight of space, much less holding on. Another example was the inside route to Steffen for 2, very tight space to fit the ball and put it on the money. I don't think we can take those types of throws for granted. If we can run the ball consistently and play tough D as we aspire to, then maybe we can get by with a "manage the game" performance out of our QB. If we need the QB to win a lot of games, we might be in trouble. It seems like every year we'd like to have a ball-control O and stout D, but somehow we end up playing in shootouts. Hopefully that's not the case next year. I'd love to see some 10-3 games won by the Rabbits. In short, QB is a huge question mark right now.

Comment

I'm going with 7-4. I hope they prove me wrong, but I don't think they will lose 2 of the first 5, but bounce back as the season progresses. Seems to be the way it's been working. Starting a week late may hurt our progress as well as the QB transition.

I'll give them both the NDSU/Cal Poly games at home, but will drop SIU or UNI. Add UMN and that's the 4 losses for the year.

If the conference struggles again OOC there will be only two playoff teams, so SDSU will need to be #2 or better to get in.

Comment

I just finished making my motel reservations in Brookings for some of the marquis games in Brookings in the fall of 2009. The fine lady at the reservation desk told me that I am not the only one doing so. I would encourage you to make your reservations early or there might not be room at the inn.
                Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Originally posted by West-River_Jack View Post
                  I just finished making my motel reservations in Brookings for some of the marquis games in Brookings in the fall of 2009. The fine lady at the reservation desk told me that I am not the only one doing so. I would encourage you to make your reservations early or there might not be room at the inn.
                  My reservation for the futon in my in-laws basement is a permanent one so I've got it made.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                    My reservation for the futon in my in-laws basement is a permanent one so I've got it made.
                    I hear that. I hope my brother continues to stretch out his education for another year or so to guarantee my reservation at his house.
                    "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                    "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

SDSU daughter and a couple friends getting a house to live in next year. Think a dad paying her share of the rent might be able to find a floor to sleep on.

BTW, MD. Daughter #2 heading to SDSU next year for nursing. Could use a few more babysitting hours for her...Take the pressure off the Bank of Dad.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack4Life View Post
                        BTW, MD. Daughter #2 heading to SDSU next year for nursing. Could use a few more babysitting hours for her...Take the pressure off the Bank of Dad.
                        I'm pretty sure I can assist you with that one. If she is anything like her dad she'll spend some of the money on men and booze and waste the rest (for those thinking what I know you are thinking you are right, her dad would just spend it all on booze).

Sorry for the thread drift. Based on the 2009 schedule I'm planning to buy 6 season tickets instead of 4. I know I can interest some people in buying season tickets if they have a chance to see some of these teams. I encourage all season ticket holders to buy an additional 1 or 2 seats this year and invite friends or family.

In fact, I'd like to see some kind of campaign driven by current season ticket holders to increase support directly by increasing number of season tickets purchased. Anybody want to get the ball rolling? The sooner the better.

Comment

Working...
                        X