Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2009 Schedule

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post
    I see the Bison have Ia. St. and Sam Houston St. as their non-conference right now with only 10 games on the schedule. Anybody smell a stampede on some coyotes at the Fargodome?
    Not a chance. They won't play them until we do. Mark my word on that one.

Comment

Just looked at the 2009 schedule on GoJacks.com and we don't have a bye next year. I don't know how I feel about that. If we are rolling that is great, but if we are banged up at any point a bye would be nice to have. I guess time will tell. I am so jacked up for next year already! I plan to makes the trip for the Dakota Marker game, UNI for Hobo Day, and to head over to Springfield for Missouri State.

On another note, the schedule is set up for a huge record breaking attendance for the year next year. Its going to be great. If the chips fall right (and they could) we could be undefeated going into to the Dakota Marker followed by UNI for Hobo Day. Two record crowds in two weeks would be sweet.
      "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
      "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

The Bye is the first week of the season. The Jacks start the season later than most teams.

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman View Post
          The Bye is the first week of the season. The Jacks start the season later than most teams.
          I realized that when I looked but just described the situation as not having a bye for all intents and purposes, considering we should be okay at that point, at least I hope!
          "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
          "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
            Congratulations on another great season Jacks. Time to start thinking about the 2009 Schedule. We will have the 3 best teams in the conference from 2008 at CAS in 2009. Another tough non-conference schedule with no patsies. Look forward to seeing Georgia Southern again.

Sat, Sep 12 Georgia Southern — Cereal Bowl Coughlin-Alumni Stadium TBA

Sat, Sep 19 Indiana State — Beef Bowl * Coughlin-Alumni Stadium TBA

Sat, Sep 26 Illinois State * at Normal, Ill. TBA

Sat, Oct 03 Cal Poly at San Luis Obispo, Calif. TBA

Sat, Oct 10 Missouri State * at Springfield, Mo. TBA

Sat, Oct 17 North Dakota State — Dakota Marker Game * Coughlin-Alumni Stadium TBA

Sat, Oct 24 Northern Iowa — Hobo Day * Coughlin-Alumni Stadium TBA

Sat, Oct 31 Youngstown State * at Youngstown, Ohio TBA

Sat, Nov 07 Southern Illinois * Coughlin-Alumni Stadium TBA

Sat, Nov 14 Minnesota at Minneapolis, Minn. TBA

Sat, Nov 21 Western Illinois * at Macomb, Ill. TBA
            That's one hell of a schedule. Hopefully you can win those tough non conference games or else it's going to be a challenge getting into the playoffs.

Comment

Sat, Sep 12 Georgia Southern — Cereal Bowl Coughlin-Alumni Stadium
              SDSU finally gets their first win over Georgia Southern on try #4. First game of the year and Georgia Southern has the long road trip to contend with. 1-0

Sat, Sep 19 Indiana State — Beef Bowl * Coughlin-Alumni Stadium
              Home game against an improved but still bottom of the conference Indiana State. Jacks should be favored by 2 touchdowns in this game. 2-0

Sat, Sep 26 Illinois State * at Normal, Ill.
              Illinois State will be looking for revenge after what we did to them this year in the cold/wind but we should have the better team and Illinois State will be breaking in a new coach. I think we can pick up a conference road win here. 3-0

Sat, Oct 03 Cal Poly at San Luis Obispo, Calif.
              First tough test of the season but Cal Poly graduates 4 offensive stars in Dally, Barden, Noble, and Mole. I think our offense should be able to put up enough points to win this one on the road. 4-0

Sat, Oct 10 Missouri State * at Springfield, Mo.
              Another road conference game against a weaker opponent. These can never be counted on as wins but I think we should be able to get this one. 5-0

Sat, Oct 17 North Dakota State — Dakota Marker Game * Coughlin-Alumni Stadium
              Sat, Oct 24 Northern Iowa — Hobo Day * Coughlin-Alumni Stadium

Two tough home games in a row against fellow MVFC title contenders. Chances are good we split this homestand. 6-1

Sat, Oct 31 Youngstown State * at Youngstown, Ohio
              Youngstown is a question mark going into next season but is perenially a very tough opponent at home. Sweeping the road slate in the MVFC is gonna be tough to do, I think this may be the one we lose. 6-2

Sat, Nov 07 Southern Illinois * Coughlin-Alumni Stadium
              If not for the pick 6, returned kickoff for TD and other mistakes we would have won this game by 10+ this season. I think this is one game marked on the calender for next year after SIU knocked us out of the playoffs and the Jacks will take care of business next year at home. 7-2

Sat, Nov 14 Minnesota at Minneapolis, Minn.
              We get a late season FBS opponent in Minnesota and will be playing in the great outdoors in the middle of November. I think we compete much better with Minnesota next year than we did against Iowa St. this year, but I'm not ready to call this a win. 7-3

Sat, Nov 21 Western Illinois * at Macomb, Ill.
              Huge road game to end the season with possible MVFC title hopes on the line. Donaldson is gone from Western Illinois and they haven't shown the ability to score much outside of him to date. I think the Jacks win this one on the road. 8-3

Jacks finish the year 8-3 with a 6-2 record in the MVFC in a three way tie for first place with Northern Iowa and Southern Illinois and while not getting a seed will get a chance to host a first round playoff game against Central Arkansas.

My 2009 MVFC Rankings
              1. Northern Iowa 6-2
              1. Southern Illinois 6-2
              1. South Dakota State 6-2
              4. North Dakota State 5-3
              5. Western Illinois 4-4
              6. Youngstown State 3-5
              7. Missouri State 3-5
              8. Indiana State 2-6
              9. Illinois State 1-7

Can't wait till next September!

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                Sat, Sep 12 Georgia Southern — Cereal Bowl Coughlin-Alumni Stadium
                SDSU finally gets their first win over Georgia Southern on try #4. First game of the year and Georgia Southern has the long road trip to contend with. 1-0

Sat, Sep 19 Indiana State — Beef Bowl * Coughlin-Alumni Stadium
                Home game against an improved but still bottom of the conference Indiana State. Jacks should be favored by 2 touchdowns in this game. 2-0

Sat, Sep 26 Illinois State * at Normal, Ill.
                Illinois State will be looking for revenge after what we did to them this year in the cold/wind but we should have the better team and Illinois State will be breaking in a new coach. I think we can pick up a conference road win here. 3-0

Sat, Oct 03 Cal Poly at San Luis Obispo, Calif.
                First tough test of the season but Cal Poly graduates 4 offensive stars in Dally, Barden, Noble, and Mole. I think our offense should be able to put up enough points to win this one on the road. 4-0

Sat, Oct 10 Missouri State * at Springfield, Mo.
                Another road conference game against a weaker opponent. These can never be counted on as wins but I think we should be able to get this one. 5-0

Sat, Oct 17 North Dakota State — Dakota Marker Game * Coughlin-Alumni Stadium
                Sat, Oct 24 Northern Iowa — Hobo Day * Coughlin-Alumni Stadium

Two tough home games in a row against fellow MVFC title contenders. Chances are good we split this homestand. 6-1

Sat, Oct 31 Youngstown State * at Youngstown, Ohio
                Youngstown is a question mark going into next season but is perenially a very tough opponent at home. Sweeping the road slate in the MVFC is gonna be tough to do, I think this may be the one we lose. 6-2

Sat, Nov 07 Southern Illinois * Coughlin-Alumni Stadium
                If not for the pick 6, returned kickoff for TD and other mistakes we would have won this game by 10+ this season. I think this is one game marked on the calender for next year after SIU knocked us out of the playoffs and the Jacks will take care of business next year at home. 7-2

Sat, Nov 14 Minnesota at Minneapolis, Minn.
                We get a late season FBS opponent in Minnesota and will be playing in the great outdoors in the middle of November. I think we compete much better with Minnesota next year than we did against Iowa St. this year, but I'm not ready to call this a win. 7-3

Sat, Nov 21 Western Illinois * at Macomb, Ill.
                Huge road game to end the season with possible MVFC title hopes on the line. Donaldson is gone from Western Illinois and they haven't shown the ability to score much outside of him to date. I think the Jacks win this one on the road. 8-3

Jacks finish the year 8-3 with a 6-2 record in the MVFC in a three way tie for first place with Northern Iowa and Southern Illinois and while not getting a seed will get a chance to host a first round playoff game against Central Arkansas.

My 2009 MVFC Rankings
                1. Northern Iowa 6-2
                1. Southern Illinois 6-2
                1. South Dakota State 6-2
                4. North Dakota State 5-3
                5. Western Illinois 4-4
                6. Youngstown State 3-5
                7. Missouri State 3-5
                8. Indiana State 2-6
                9. Illinois State 1-7

Can't wait till next September!

This schedule looks very difficult on the surface, but underneath it isn't as challenging. First off, we get the other top 3 MVC teams at home. Since going division 1 we are 12-1 in home conference games. Secondly, our road conference games not to be over looked are against traditionally strong but probably down next season programs. Western Illinois loses a lot from this years team that only finished 6-5 this season. Youngstown is down, but could bounce back at any time. Missouri St and Illinois St should be wins.

The nonconference schedule can be broken down into two parts: FBS and FCS. Anytime we play an FBS BCS school we should count it as a lose. Beating one of those teams is bonus in my eyes. We have to play to win, but being realistic is also a good thing. The Gophers are improving and it will be a tough win. Cal Poly and Ga Southern are traditional powers, but should both be down next season. They should both be wins.

With down non-conference opponents and playing the better Valley teams at home, I predict a 9-2 season going 7-1 and winning the Valley. Besides the QB we have pretty much everybody back.
                Go Big! Go Blue! Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                  Congratulations on another great season Jacks. Time to start thinking about the 2009 Schedule. We will have the 3 best teams in the conference from 2008 at CAS in 2009. Another tough non-conference schedule with no patsies. Look forward to seeing Georgia Southern again.

Sat, Sep 12 Georgia Southern — Cereal Bowl Coughlin-Alumni Stadium TBA

Sat, Sep 19 Indiana State — Beef Bowl * Coughlin-Alumni Stadium TBA

Sat, Sep 26 Illinois State * at Normal, Ill. TBA

Sat, Oct 03 Cal Poly at San Luis Obispo, Calif. TBA

Sat, Oct 10 Missouri State * at Springfield, Mo. TBA

Sat, Oct 17 North Dakota State — Dakota Marker Game * Coughlin-Alumni Stadium TBA

Sat, Oct 24 Northern Iowa — Hobo Day * Coughlin-Alumni Stadium TBA

Sat, Oct 31 Youngstown State * at Youngstown, Ohio TBA

Sat, Nov 07 Southern Illinois * Coughlin-Alumni Stadium TBA

Sat, Nov 14 Minnesota at Minneapolis, Minn. TBA

Sat, Nov 21 Western Illinois * at Macomb, Ill. TBA

We only have 11 games on the schedule, looks to me we have the first week of September open, I wonder if they are looking for another 1A team? I would imagine we are looking to get 12 games on the books.

Comment

Originally posted by rabbits64 View Post
                    We only have 11 games on the schedule, looks to me we have the first week of September open, I wonder if they are looking for another 1A team? I would imagine we are looking to get 12 games on the books.
                    We are only allowed 11 games in most years. This year was an exception. With Labor day falling on the 1st of September the NCAA allowed for a game the last weekend in August which is essentially an extra game. In 2009 and most years, that isn't be the case, so only 11 games allowed. At least that is how I understand it.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                      We are only allowed 11 games in most years. This year was an exception. With Labor day falling on the 1st of September the NCAA allowed for a game the last weekend in August which is essentially an extra game. In 2009 and most years, that isn't be the case, so only 11 games allowed. At least that is how I understand it.
                      Thanks for the info. Is this a rule for FCS only? I follow the Badgers too, and they have 12 games scheduled for 2009. I thought they allowed 12 games for 1A teams so they could get more gate revenue.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Is this a rule for FCS only? I follow the Badgers too, and they have 12 games scheduled for 2009. I thought they allowed 12 games for 1A teams so they could get more gate revenue.

12 games every year for FBS is a HUGE reason for FCS teams getting one game against FBS teams every year.

For FCS's sake, it better never go back to 11.

Go Jacks!!
                        SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

I think it would be great if we could schedule another game at CAS, especially early in the year, bring in a good crowd, good weather, etc. Or we could go play another 1a team and collect a fat paycheck.

Comment

I think it would be great if we could schedule another game at CAS, especially early in the year, bring in a good crowd, good weather, etc. Or we could go play another 1a team and collect a fat paycheck.

Can only have 11 games next year. Bye week 1st week...which sucks BTW.

Go Jacks!!
                            SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

The FBS rules allow for 12 games. The FCS programs voted on increasing to 12 games earlier this year or the end of last year and elected to keep it at 11 game limit except on years when labor day falls on Sept 1st. So, we only get 11 games most years unless they change the rule again.

FBS programs can only count wins against FCS programs towards bowl elegibility every other year or every 3 or 4 years, I can't remember exactly. So, FBS programs don't necessarily want to play FCS games every year. Especially it there is any chance they might get beat.
                              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                                The FBS rules allow for 12 games. The FCS programs voted on increasing to 12 games earlier this year or the end of last year and elected to keep it at 11 game limit except on years when labor day falls on Sept 1st. So, we only get 11 games most years unless they change the rule again.

FBS programs can only count wins against FCS programs towards bowl elegibility every other year or every 3 or 4 years, I can't remember exactly. So, FBS programs don't necessarily want to play FCS games every year. Especially it there is any chance they might get beat.
                                I thought as long as the FCS team average 57 schollies over the last two seasons that the FBS team could count the win towards bowl eligibility? Isn't that why SDSU couldn't get one scheduled until this year?

Comment

Working...
                                X