Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Illinois STATE Game Thread.... I'm paying attention, really:)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Illinois STATE Game Thread.... I'm paying attention, really

From the Illinois State University Athletics website:

BROOKINGS, S.D. - Facing a 45-14 deficit late in the third quarter, quarterback Kevin Brockway stepped up big with a 70-yard touchdown strike to Warren McCarty for McCarty's first-career catch and first-career touchdown as a Redbird. The Redbirds scored two more touchdowns in the game, but in the end, were upended by a powerful South Dakota State offense, as the Jackrabbits (6-4, 5-1 MVFC) defeated Illinois State (3-6, 2-4 MVFC), 52-21, at a chilly Coughlin-Alumni Stadium Saturday afternoon in a Missouri Valley Football Conference game in Brookings, S.D.

The full story is here.

Comment

Well, I'm hoping my Dad will now, finally, admit that Berry is a good qb.

That grumpy old man has been complaining about him, for his entire career.

Great win for the Rabbits.

Comment

Originally posted by BitsTD View Post
        I was at the game and had a good time. It was cold, but I seem to remember colder games in the past.
        I can tell you, Augustana, November '03 was the coldest thing I have ever experienced. Unbelievably cold. Not only that, my Guard unit called me that evening and told me I was going to Iraq. That's got to be the coldest day of all time.
        "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
        "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

I was at the game and I have certainly sat through colder games. I never did get chilled, but layered up real good and made sure to wear the good boots. Got dressed at the hotel about 9:00 and finally had to tell the wife we needed to get outside and cool off. Tailgating went well, thanks to Jackmd's tent and heater. Great game and the Jacks really handled the Redbirds. Thanks, Seniors!!

Comment

Local Illinois State game coverage:

http://www.pantagraph.com/articles/2...4614875675.txt
            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I was finally ventured into the Alumni Tent and it was fun. Obviously not many people there, but the workers were very nice and we had a good time.

Thank you.

Comment

How does it work if we have mutiple teams on top of the MVC at the end of the year? Shared title? If thats the case who would get the automatic bid?

Comment

Originally posted by tdhummel View Post
                  How does it work if we have mutiple teams on top of the MVC at the end of the year? Shared title? If thats the case who would get the automatic bid?
                  We would share the title, but UNI would get the automatic bid because they beat us.

Comment

Originally posted by tdhummel View Post
                    From what I've read on other boards it is a shared title and in the case of a tie with UNI they would get the auto-bid because of their head to head win against us.

Comment

A great performance by the Jacks. Berry was on the money all day long- there should have only been 3-4 incompletions and 8 td's. He even threw one away when under pressure in the 4th quarter. Cochart- great day- tremendous effort and balance on the first TD. Minnett and Duffy are a good combination in the backfield. Minnett reminds me of Ranek and Duffy of Koenig. Defense played well -Domino with the catch of the day on the interception. Batten and Steffen with multiple sacks. So glad the wife and I were there to witness it!
                      On to SIU- in the post game Stig said the one thing he knew about SIU from talking to Mo St. coach was that they had speed.

Comment

It seems like ages ago that we played Iowa State, but after the game, I posted the following:

"Everybody can blame Ryan if they want, and he certainly had a bad game (not unlike Western Illinois last year, only worse but against a much better team thatn WI). But a large majority of the time, it was as one earlier poster said, "get rid of the ball immediately as you are about to be dumped on your keister". We have our best quarterback playing, and our O-line will do the best they can...let's move on to beating Youngstown!!"

There were a number of posts suggesting we needed to "take Berry out". There's no doubt that he didn't have a good game, but I'm extremely happy for Ryan today, knowing that he has set SDSU career records for touchdown passes (with two games to go) and has the school and Missouri Valley Conference record for touchdown passes in a game...it just couldn't go to a nicer guy. And hats off to a more healthy and maturing O-line (along with great receivers) that has made much of his success possible!

Comment

That was awesome. Loved every second of that game, including the cold.

Grading the Jacks:

QB: A, he was sharp and threw some tremendous balls in those conditions. Granted there was a lot of YAC, but Berry was just great yesterday.

RB: A-, Once again did what they needed to do against a subpar run defense.

WR: B-, who was that guy wearing #1?

Front 7: B, Did a nice job against Mendenhall. Still need to keep getting more pressure against these last two foes.

Secondary: B, Didn't like the td drives, but held their own when ISU had the wind.

Special Teams: B+, not asked to do a lot. Way to make the PAT's. Could have better kickoffs against the wind. On another note, their punter kicked the ball into that wind better than I've seen in a long time.

Coaching: A-, probably the best coached game of the year. Taking the wind in the 1st was very key. Thought the playcalling was very good. Maybe just a couple too many throws on third and short, but they worked, so great.

The field was definately slow, for those of you that thought it looked that way on TV. They definately did not like the cold and the big lead after the 1st quarter probably made them just want to get the heck out of town early.

I though the light crowd did a good job cheering. Feels kinda good doesn't it?

Let's hammer these last two out boys. There's no way they can leave the Jacks out of the playoffs with only one conference loss.

Comment

Originally posted by trueblue View Post
                            A great performance by the Jacks. Berry was on the money all day long- there should have only been 3-4 incompletions and 8 td's. He even threw one away when under pressure in the 4th quarter. Cochart- great day- tremendous effort and balance on the first TD. Minnett and Duffy are a good combination in the backfield. Minnett reminds me of Ranek and Duffy of Koenig. Defense played well -Domino with the catch of the day on the interception. Batten and Steffen with multiple sacks. So glad the wife and I were there to witness it!
                            On to SIU- in the post game Stig said the one thing he knew about SIU from talking to Mo St. coach was that they had speed.
                            In this game i was noticing the simmilarity of Duffy to that of Koenig. like he is slippery and hard to grab, when you think they got an arm or two on him he gets past those with just a little shoulder turn and weight shift. Kind of surprised they havent any 2 split back sets like we saw a lot of last year with Koenig and Minnett. I have only been to 3 games this year but havent noticed that set run. maybe next year with out our top reciever and record setting qb they may venture more variations of run sets.
                            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                              In this game i was noticing the simmilarity of Duffy to that of Koenig. like he is slippery and hard to grab, when you think they got an arm or two on him he gets past those with just a little shoulder turn and weight shift. Kind of surprised they havent any 2 split back sets like we saw a lot of last year with Koenig and Minnett. I have only been to 3 games this year but havent noticed that set run. maybe next year with out our top reciever and record setting qb they may venture more variations of run sets.
                              I would like to see us reuse that formation as well. I would be surprised though if we aren't passing just as much next year. We lose Jaron, but Saunders will be able to play again and our young recievers: Fox, Steffen, Gant, Mitchel, and Iverson are only going to get better. Not to mention the emergence of Cochart the last couple of weeks. From what the guys on the team have told me, Thomas O'Brien is the best QB on the roster... take that for what it is worth with no actual game time. But yes I am excited to see if maybe we incorporate the "Wildcat" formation into the last two games just for something different.
                              Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
                                I would like to see us reuse that formation as well. I would be surprised though if we aren't passing just as much next year. We lose Jaron, but Saunders will be able to play again and our young recievers: Fox, Steffen, Gant, Mitchel, and Iverson are only going to get better. Not to mention the emergence of Cochart the last couple of weeks. From what the guys on the team have told me, Thomas O'Brien is the best QB on the roster... take that for what it is worth with no actual game time. But yes I am excited to see if maybe we incorporate the "Wildcat" formation into the last two games just for something different.
                                Last two games, hey be positive we have playoffs yet!

Comment

Working...
                                X