Replacing Coughlin-Alumni Stadium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Replacing Coughlin-Alumni Stadium

Here's a rendering of SIU's new field which will open in 2010.

I would think something similar would be planned at SDSU. I would think we would go with higher stands and leave the South endzone for expansion though.
    Here's an fly-through video http://www.siuc.edu/media/Animation/SIU%20Animation.mov of the stadium and their area which will be renovated as well. We are finding ourselves in the same situation as renovation at Frost was on the list of projects as well. You can find out more about their stadium at http://siusalukis.cstv.com/ot/salukiway.html. Notice that the city of Carbondale is bucking up $20 million of the pricetag.
    Breakdown of funding:
    SIU students: $38 million

Citizens of Carbondale: $20 million

Projected suite revenue: $2 million

Private donations to date: $1.5 million

TOTAL: $61.5 million
    I'm sure we will need much, much more private money for our facilities.

Comment

I hope you're right, but there is a LOT of work to do before that scenario plays out. We need to look to the future, of course, but the day we need a stadium for 22,000 people is far off, it would seem. We'll likely be below 5,000 Satuday given the weather. And, play-wise, we're far too inconsistant to be a regular playoff contender. But, we're newcomers, too. We'll see how it all shakes down. I'll keep my fingers crossed that someday we will need a home because we get 18,000 a game, but there's no such support right now. Being in a smaller town doesn't help, but when we can't get 10,000 or 12,000 for a big conference game on a perfect day (re: last Saturday)...well, we have some work to do.

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
      I'm going to go out on a limb, and state that the field doesn't move. I think the plans will ultimately be 1)create a nice east stands with Boxes and Chairs. 2) Bowl in the North end tying into the Dykhouse Center. 3) Renovate/Replace the west stands.

The location is great, and has LOTS of opportunities to upgrade, much more achieveable to do incrementally, and no lost time due to construction (may not have east stands one season) but life moves on.

The ultimate capacity should approach 20-22K or maybe more if Jacks can consistently end up in the top 1/2 of the MoValley.

SDSU has the capacity to become the "Griz of the Great Plains", and a college destination equivalent of the Packers. Our outdoor stadium creates smaller crowds than our domed competitors in NOV/DEC, but it also creates one of the toughest places to get a road win in those wintery conditions. It could pave a path to a FCS championship for the Jacks in the future.
      Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Wrong place to post, but less than "5000" Saturday is a "for sure"! High temp in the 20's, winds 15-20, wind chill probably in teens, possibly snow still everywhere, etc. Quite frankly (and I will be there), under 1,000 will be NO surprise to me (wish we were Packer tough, but we aren't).

On the new stadium (when it happens...a number of years down the road), I believe the initial plans will be for about 18,000-20,000 seating.

Comment

I am happy that we have a president and AD with vision. This project is one that could be passed on to their successor. I am one of the few on this board that recalls State Field and the Staduim for State project. Receiving 50 grand from Mr Coughlin was a big deal. The rest was small donations from alums and that is why its called Coughlin-Alumni Stadium.

The bleachers at old State Field seemed to be still in pretty good shape going in the 1960s, but I know former AD Harry Forysth says they were not. He was on the staff at the time and and that is why a new staduim project was on the board. SDSU had a new president in HM Briggs, so I see a few parallels but we now have a full fledged foundation that tackles all the needs for the campus. We did not have a foundation to speak of, and I believe the records for foundation were in some one's desk draw in the Admin Building. So our best Alums formed a committee and they worked very hard with little or no experience in fund raising. This was not a popular project and thats why there are no concrete bleachers on the east side.

What has not changed in 46 years is that the SD Legislature back then was not about to appropriate state funds for a football staduim, and I dont think we will see any help in the near future. Its kind of ironic that we need to go to the legislature to get permission to raise our own funds, but thats how it works.

I suspect this time around the project will not be popular either, but at least we have corporate interests that could help out and that may make the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by JackFan96 View Post
            We'll likely be below 5,000 Satuday given the weather. Being in a smaller town doesn't help, but when we can't get 10,000 or 12,000 for a big conference game on a perfect day (re: last Saturday)...well, we have some work to do.
            Time for the semi-homer response...

Rome wasn't built in a day.

There was a caller on Craig and John's show yesterday who commented that we need to stop scheduling unfamiliar foes like Cal Poly and McNeese and should be scheduling names people are more familiar with like UXD's. People forget that big name rivalries like UND, Mankato, St Cloud and Northern Colorado only drew 1k - 5k for post Hobo Day games only 5 short years ago.

We have come along way. Is it where we would like it to be? Not even close, but we can say that attendance has at least doubled for these late season games in just five years. It will take a while to completely de-program people, but playing meaningful games this time of year will help.
            "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
            -Leo Rosten

Comment

Just hopped back on to the thread, EQG, and I think you have the situation very well stated...not near the top, but climbing up the mountain! Rep points for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Vision View Post
                Here's a rendering of SIU's new field which will open in 2010.

I would think something similar would be planned at SDSU. I would think we would go with higher stands and leave the South endzone for expansion though.
                Here's an fly-through video http://www.siuc.edu/media/Animation/SIU%20Animation.mov of the stadium and their area which will be renovated as well. We are finding ourselves in the same situation as renovation at Frost was on the list of projects as well. You can find out more about their stadium at http://siusalukis.cstv.com/ot/salukiway.html. Notice that the city of Carbondale is bucking up $20 million of the pricetag.
                Breakdown of funding:
                SIU students: $38 million

Citizens of Carbondale: $20 million

Projected suite revenue: $2 million

Private donations to date: $1.5 million

TOTAL: $61.5 million
                I'm sure we will need much, much more private money for our facilities.
                This is very interesting information. I see the balk of the money is coming from SIU students. I dont know if this would fly at SDSU or not. How many years will SDSU students be paying for the Wellness Center? I would think its a few years, and would they feel the same way about a football staduim as they do about a Wellness Center? Its a beautiful project, but I doubt SDSU could follow this same plan for financing. I dont think SDSU could get 20 million out of the city of Brookings, but I could be wrong.
                Last edited by Nidaros; 11-06-2008, 09:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by eqguy View Post

There was a caller on Craig and John's show yesterday who commented that we need to stop scheduling unfamiliar foes like Cal Poly and McNeese and should be scheduling names people are more familiar with like UXD's. People forget that big name rivalries like UND, Mankato, St Cloud and Northern Colorado only drew 1k - 5k for post Hobo Day games only 5 short years ago...

Cal Poly and McNeese should be bound for the playoffs. I'll argue that they are the big names. UXD is a mess, Mankato and St. Cloud are D-II, and Northern Colorado is a doormat. Bring the quality competition and further develop those rivalries, and the stands should be more crowded, IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by UTH View Post
                    Cal Poly and McNeese should be bound for the playoffs. I'll argue that they are the big names. UXD is a mess, Mankato and St. Cloud are D-II, and Northern Colorado is a doormat. Bring the quality competition and further develop those rivalries, and the stands should be more crowded, IMHO.
                    That was my point UTH. There is a large contingent of people in the population centers around Brookings that haven't grasped how much better things are now. They will come along slowly but surely as it appears they have by the increases we have seen since the last seasons of DII
                    "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                    -Leo Rosten

Comment

Has there ever been talk of using CAS as a neutral site for regular season games between high school teams. For example Watertown or Aberdeen vs a Sioux Falls school? I realize this would add to the wear and tear on the field, but may be worth it to get local people into CAS that haven't been there lately or at all. Plus lots of high school kids thinking about going to college visiting campus. I'm not sure if high school teams would be willing to give up home games to play in a big stadium, but it seems like it could be a great opportunity for all involved. If time, money, and effort is going to be put into facilities, they might as well be used as much as possible.

Comment

There was a caller on Craig and John's show yesterday who commented that we need to stop scheduling unfamiliar foes like Cal Poly and McNeese and should be scheduling names people are more familiar with like UXD's. People forget that big name rivalries like UND, Mankato, St Cloud and Northern Colorado only drew 1k - 5k for post Hobo Day games only 5 short years ago.

We have come along way. Is it where we would like it to be? Not even close, but we can say that attendance has at least doubled for these late season games in just five years. It will take a while to completely de-program people, but playing meaningful games this time of year will help.
                        The callers heart is in the right place but he is thinking SD small like too many others. We are in the big boy league now, it time to play the big boys. It is the responsibility of the administration to market games properly and I think they are doing a decent job. Familiarity with the new conference will help.

I sat at many November games with 800 other fans while we played St. Cloud St. and UNC, I don't want to go back to that place. Just take a look at the attendance records and the average attendance since the move up and the caller's argument is moot. I hope Craig and John pointed that out.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                          Wrong place to post, but less than "5000" Saturday is a "for sure"! High temp in the 20's, winds 15-20, wind chill probably in teens, possibly snow still everywhere, etc. Quite frankly (and I will be there), under 1,000 will be NO surprise to me (wish we were Packer tough, but we aren't).

On the new stadium (when it happens...a number of years down the road), I believe the initial plans will be for about 18,000-20,000 seating.

Going to be a bit of a difference for this years senior's last game at CAS versus last years senior's last game against NDSU. 16K+ versus <5000 if not <2000.

I agree, we've got a long way to go.

I just hope SDSU fans will realize that for 13 Jackrabbit players, this will be the last time we will see them at CAS in uniform. I would hate for their last memory of CAS to be 1000 fans in the stands.

I don't really know what else anyone can do for Saturday's turnout, other than hope the ADept. decides to count "tickets sold" instead of "butts in seats" this one time. We know almost everyone else in the nation does. Not that it's going to change the atmosphere any.

Oh well...I'll be ther with my tailgating crew!!

Go Jacks!!

Edit:
                          Wanted to add one other thought....My 24-week pregnant, 2-time USD grad, wife will be there and has been to every game this year including Iowa State and will be going to Fargo...if you're not going because of the weather, I hope that thought makes you feel like a real pu$$y.
                          SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
                            Going to be a bit of a difference for this years senior's last game at CAS versus last years senior's last game against NDSU. 16K+ versus <5000 if not <2000.

I agree, we've got a long way to go.

I just hope SDSU fans will realize that for 13 Jackrabbit players, this will be the last time we will see them at CAS in uniform. I would hate for their last memory of CAS to be 1000 fans in the stands.

I don't really know what else anyone can do for Saturday's turnout, other than hope the ADept. decides to count "tickets sold" instead of "butts in seats" this one time. We know almost everyone else in the nation does. Not that it's going to change the atmosphere any.

Oh well...I'll be ther with my tailgating crew!!

Go Jacks!!

Edit:
                            Wanted to add one other thought....My 24-week pregnant, 2-time USD grad, wife will be there and has been to every game this year including Iowa State and will be going to Fargo...if you're not going because of the weather, I hope that thought makes you feel like a real pu$$y.
                            Very impressive! Nice catch there propar

Comment

Said caller also questioned having W. Illinois and Youngstown in for home games. So I pretty much stopped listening to anything he had to say after that statement.

Comment

That was my point UTH. There is a large contingent of people in the population centers around Brookings that haven't grasped how much better things are now. They will come along slowly but surely as it appears they have by the increases we have seen since the last seasons of DII

He he... good thing a guy's entitled to misread a post once in a while. It's just that the "big name rivalries" part sorta trumped everything else in that post. You could have written something, "al Qaeda is great", and I probably wouldn't have noticed that, either.

Comment

Working...
                                X