• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Philip Bates

Bring him on. Give him a chance.
    This space for lease.

Comment

Hell, if he's that great of an athlete bring him in....have him change positions.....I know we have done that to numerous HS athletes and many have panned out. I don't see a down side to bringing in a GREAT athlete.

Comment

On second thought I hope SDSU is able to land him. I'm curious to see how it would pan out.
        I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
          Hell, if he's that great of an athlete bring him in....have him change positions.....I know we have done that to numerous HS athletes and many have panned out. I don't see a down side to bringing in a GREAT athlete.
          Thats the problem right there. He doesn't want to be anything but a QB. He would have made one heck of a slot receiver at ISU! (i.e. game changing catch that helped us beat Iowa last year, not to mention he is very quick and athletic). He made a huge mistake transfering from ISU in the middle of the year. With all of the trouble we are having right now, he would definitely be getting his fair share of snaps. Our current QB has a bum shoulder and is having to play through it because we are trying to hold out on our redshirted Frosh QB. Bates is probably kicking himself in the butt right now bc he left too soon. IMHO, With the way he transferred and the timing of everything, I'm not sure you would want a guy like this on your team. I think his dad might be trying to push him too hard into making decisions, some of which aren't the best.

Comment

oh and... if he happens to come to SDSU, I'm sure he would make a pretty good QB. He is very dangerous on his feet, but his arm needs improvement. I'm not sure how good of a leader he is, though. It should be pretty interesting to see how all of this ends up.

Comment

If O'Brien and Crawford are equal, I would rather have O'Brien struggle as a starting freshman and have him be ready the following year than have two new qbs two years in a row IMHO. But only if they are about the same. If one is better let them start.

Comment

Originally posted by cydave View Post
                Thats the problem right there. He doesn't want to be anything but a QB. He would have made one heck of a slot receiver at ISU! (i.e. game changing catch that helped us beat Iowa last year, not to mention he is very quick and athletic). He made a huge mistake transfering from ISU in the middle of the year. With all of the trouble we are having right now, he would definitely be getting his fair share of snaps. Our current QB has a bum shoulder and is having to play through it because we are trying to hold out on our redshirted Frosh QB. Bates is probably kicking himself in the butt right now bc he left too soon. IMHO, With the way he transferred and the timing of everything, I'm not sure you would want a guy like this on your team. I think his dad might be trying to push him too hard into making decisions, some of which aren't the best.
                The role of dear old dad seem to come through loud and clear in the article posted at the beginning of this thread. I think Dad could be a problem for any program that gets son. You would hope Dad would back off, and my guess is son would not last long at SDSU if Dad started banging the drum and telling our coaches what should happen.

Comment

I think a couple of the last posts hit it on the nose. Bates might not be a bad player, but having to deal with the father might be the problem. The two articles I have read have no statements from the actual player, only comments from the father. I'm always up for giving someone a second chance so I wish Philip good luck.
                  Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Originally posted by bub94 View Post
                    I think a couple of the last posts hit it on the nose. Bates might not be a bad player, but having to deal with the father might be the problem. The two articles I have read have no statements from the actual player, only comments from the father. I'm always up for giving someone a second chance so I wish Philip good luck.
                    Dead on; rep points for you.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                      He certainly doesn't look 6'3 200 on the sidelines.
                      But remember, you're looking at him from both a higher elevation, and while he's typically standing near players who are both just as tall and fully geared out...while he's not in shoulder pads or anything, naturally he wouldn't look as tall.
                      "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
                        On second thought I hope SDSU is able to land him. I'm curious to see how it would pan out.

Get in line there, Jackistanian fellers... [linky]

We saw him, too.

Comment

Working...
                        X