Philip Bates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Philip Bates

All comes down to who is going to give the team the best opportunity to win....
    Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision.
    Muhammad Ali

Comment

That's the typical response from the coaches. But given history do you think that being a Senior factors into it, aside from 1 yr more experience. It seems Stig and maybe others are big on giving them a chance before they are done.

Comment

I've talked with Stig, I've talked with current and former players, I haven't talked to Luke Meadows or any of the offensive coaches. Former and current players have their own preferences. Crawford and Jeske both have up and down sides about them. I'm more interested in what happens the rest of this year with Ryan Berry running the show. I don't think an unhappy DI transfer is the right thing now or next year, but thats just me.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I'm sure O'Brien will have his opportunity in do time. He certainly doesn't look 6'3 200 on the sidelines. In most instances the coaches don't know what they have in terms of ability until the kids shows up and starts competing in practice. They are constantly evaluating what they have and what they will need in the future. I think there is some loyality to the current roster, but you have to constantly look at how you can improve the team!

Comment

Based on some of the comments his dad made to the Des Moines Register, though, I'm not so sure Bates would be a good fit, or at least may not be worth the risk.
            @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
            --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Iowa's reportedly on his official short list. He must be pretty hard up looking for a starting spot to go to the #1 rival.

Regarding whether or not to pursue - NDSU hasn't had that much luck. In recent history, we've had two transfer in from DI-A / FBS schools: Tony Stauss from Northwestern and Jake Josetti from Ball State (iirc). Tony lost his starting job to 'The Chosen One' and Jake Josetti got beat out fair and square before the season started by a "lower recruit". IMHO, both were good QBs - they just got beat out by others who weren't as highly touted going in....

Comment

Originally posted by sdjack605 View Post
                i would rather have corey jeske starting next year over crawford, but that is me, he is more mobile.
                Jeske's a great athlete. But how is his passing? I'm not sure he's able to make all the throws they would like the QB to make.

One thing is for sure: It's nice to have a mature, experienced guy like Ryan Berry running the show right now.
                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

On second thought - it would be extremely interesting to see him transfer to SDSU and then lose his presumed place on the throne. Leaving ISU under these circumstances, transferring to a 'lesser school', and then not getting a starting job there? Where's the popcorn...

*sorry - been feeling a little sadistic lately - prolly fuelled by NDSU's record as of late

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
                    Let him go somewhere else. History has never been on SDSU's side with transfers. While there may have been a couple that have worked out, of which I can name none, for the most part transfers eat up a scholarship and don't pan out.

While Bates may be talented what unknowns are there with him? How does he fit in with his teammates? He never talked to the head coach about getting a release from his scholarship...that's not a good sign in my book. Have the respect for your coach to look him in the eye and tell him you're leaving and thanks for the opportunity. I could go on, but I think my opinion is clear.
                    How about Pete Retzlaff? He was a transfer From Ellendale College. LOL.

I frankly dont feel comfortable with some of the background info in the article. Its hard to say what SDSU or any other school will receive with Bates. You would hope he is about being a team player.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                      How about Pete Retzlaff? He was a transfer From Ellendale College. LOL.

I frankly dont feel comfortable with some of the background info in the article. Its hard to say what SDSU or any other school will receive with Bates. You would hope he is about being a team player.
                      Agreed about the team player type. I would assume SDSU would only be pursuing this if they thought Bates would be a good fit. I have confidence in Stig and his coaches to make that determination, but who is to say that we are strong contender either. They recruit players that fit their requirements as far as academics and personality so if they think Bates would fit, I trust them. Now that isn't saying the coaches could be wrong, but in the last couple years, they have done a bang up job of building a team with their type of guys.

On a related qb note, I hope we are going hard for that Lotzer kid and for the kid from BV. I would love to see a South Dakota kid leading the Jacks again in the near future, like Fjeldheim and Berry. Maybe they just build them tough in Watertown, but the same could be true for these two guys as well and I would like to find out. I would like to think that with our success we can keep the best players from SD in SD. And thats wearing blue and yellow and not red and white.
                      "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                      "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

You definately have to pursue this kid if he could fit into a program with a team mentality at all. Based on what I saw from him the first game of the year I think he is too good of an athlete to pass up...

Comment

first of all jeske will never play quaterback here, even though he has one hell of an arm and very moblie. he wont play here cause they never gave him the reps in practice so he switched position.

Comment

The way I see it is if the coaches think he will work out go for him. He seems like one heck of an athlete and a true D-I talent.

Comment

Look I say if we can land him great, but it will be tough. He is athletic and has talent plus we don't know what his situation is/was. He made a choice that he thought was best for him and that needs respect. Can't judge him by others actions. A QB that can run and pass is a is huge in the league that we play in.

Bring him in ! A new team, new coaches, new atmosphere and you don't know how he will respond very well could shine.
                              MISSOURI VALLEY NATION
                              http://missourivalleyfootball.com

South Dakota State University
                              http://gojacks.com

Comment

I think if we had the opportunity to bring him in, it would be a pretty easy choice. Why wouldn't you bring in a QB with game\starting experience in the Big XII? He would prob be the best pure athlete on our team the second he stepped on the field.

Comment

Working...
                                X