Cal Poly is coming to town......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cal Poly is coming to town......

I have it on good authority that all of the previously injured defensive players will all start.

I think they will all come back with a little chip on there shoulder also......they want to make up for some lost time......

Go Jacks !!!!!!
    http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Comment

Not sure if this has been posted or not. From the Rapid City Journal. Leave a postive comment, let them know people out west are interested in the Jackrabbits.

http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/arti...rue#commentdiv

’Jacks, Mustangs eager to get back on the field

By Journal staff Thursday, October 16, 2008

For the fourth time in as many home games this season, the South Dakota State University football team hosts a ranked opponent.

The Jackrabbits welcome former Great West Football Conference opponent Cal Poly to Coughlin-Alumni Stadium for a 5 p.m. MDT kickoff on Saturday.

SDSU also is coming off a much-needed bye week, following a 46-44, triple-overtime Hobo Day setback to then-fourth-ranked McNeese State on Oct. 4. The Jackrabbits are 3-3 overall, but are part of a four-way tie atop the Missouri Valley Football Conference with a 2-1 mark in league play. SDSU, ranked 22nd by the coaches and 21st by the media this week, resumes MVFC action next Saturday at Indiana State.

The 2008 season has been a strange one schedule-wise for the visiting Mustangs, who enter Saturday’s game with a 3-1 overall record and are ranked third in the Division I Football Championship Subdivision Coaches’ Poll and fifth in the Sports Network media poll. Cal Poly is coming off its third bye week in five weeks, in part to having its Sept. 13 matchup against McNeese State (La.) canceled because of Hurricane Ike. In their last outing, the Mustangs manhandled South Dakota, 49-22, in San Luis Obispo, Calif.

“We would rather not have this many open weekends, but you try to make the most of it,” said Cal Poly head coach Rich Ellerson. “Will this many open weeks lead to a fresher team down the stretch, that remains to be seen. But we’d rather be playing games.”

Ellerson is 51-32 in seven-plus seasons at Cal Poly and has guided the Mustangs to 43 wins in their last 62 games dating back to the 2002 season finale. Cal Poly has won 17 of its last 28 games on the road and 26 of their last 31 home contests. Cal Poly has won seven or more games each of the last five seasons, the longest such streak in school history, breaking the old mark of four set by the 1955 to 1958 teams..................
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Article from Kent Schmidt at CSN referring to WIU coach. Talks about the SDSU vs Poly matchup and NDSU vs UNI. Kent picks Cal-Poly by 3.

http://www.championshipsubdivisionne...&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

No. 5 Cal Poly (3-1, 1-0 GWFC) @ No. 21 South Dakota State (3-3, 2-1 MVFC)

South Dakota State faces nationally ranked Cal Poly, marking the fifth ranked foe in five weeks for the Jackrabbits. The last time SDSU played was in an overtime thriller in a loss to McNeese State 46-44 when the Cowboys were ranked in the Top 5. SDSU and Cal Poly had byes a week ago.

The last two times SDSU had byes it ironically played Cal Poly each time and emerged victorious each time. South Dakota State and Cal Poly are tied 2-2 in their brief series. The Jackrabbits have won the last two meetings, including a 48-35 victory a year ago, also in Brookings.

South Dakota State has beaten Youngstown State, Western Illinois and Stephen F. Austin while falling to a pair of top-10 teams – McNeese State in triple overtime and Northern Iowa – as well as FBS Iowa State.

The Mustangs split their first two games, earning a 29-27 victory over San Diego State. Montana rallied from a 21-14 halftime deficit to beat the Mustangs 30-28 in game two. Cal Poly has played just twice in the last five weeks. After an unscheduled bye when Hurricane Ike forced cancellation of a game at McNeese State, the Mustangs defeated Northwestern State 52-18. Following another bye, Cal Poly beat South Dakota 49-22 in its Great West Conference opener.

Cal Poly is looking for revenge for the last two losses to SDSU. I think it will be able to do it, but it will be another close game with the Jackrabbits. I like Cal Poly by a last-second field goal again. Cal Poly 31 SDSU 28.

We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

All of our MVFC conference mates are pulling for us as this is the LAST OOC game played by an MVFC team this year. MVFC is only 8-6 vs FCS opponents this season, and a collective goose-egg 4 vs ranked OOC teams.

Comment

To Quote Coach Stig:

"If the guys shot as well as everyone boasts around here, they should have their limits by 3 or 4:00. If they are in hunter orange, more power to them. We’ll look like a little bit of Texas. Get to the game and help support the Jackrabbits."

Comment

Latest weather forecast looks good.

Saturday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 64. Breezy, with a south wind between 10 and 20 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph.

We should be done hunting no later than 2:00 unless they can't get the combine fixed and strip the corn tomorrow. If that is the case we might have to work a little harder. Big party planned at the lodge Saturday but they'll have to get it kick started without me. I plan to be at CAS by 6:00 Saturday night. I really hope they don't schedule too many more home games on the pheasant opener. I believe we have NDSU at home next year, I'm not missing that.

Comment

Word on the Cal Poly fan board is that RB James Noble won't play. They have capable backups, and I suppose their option offense helps cover for a loss like that, but Noble is an experienced and talented player.
                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                  Word on the Cal Poly fan board is that RB James Noble won't play. They have capable backups, and I suppose their option offense helps cover for a loss like that, but Noble is an experienced and talented player.

I read the same on the AGS board. Sounds like's got a wrist injury.
                  “Who's more foolish: the fool, or the fool who follows him?” - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Comment

With or without Noble we are definately going to be seeing another high powered offense at CAS tomorrow night!

Comment

Noble broke his hand. He did the same thing last year but he did not miss any games because of it. He played with a cast for the first few games.

Jono Grayson is the player who will start in his place. Jono rushed for 2,100+ yards and 28 TDs his senior year in high school. He started three games last season filling in for an injured Ryan Mole and he rushed for 308 yards on 38 carries for a 8.1 per rush average. He is a very capable player and would start at most schools. He is just unlucky to be behind James and Ryan. That being said, it always hurts to lose a player like James Noble.

Comment

Working...
                      X