Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: McNeese State

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
    As I said before, your hilarious post clearly implied we're overconfident. It also suggested we're not good. Now you say it's just a joke. Funny.

Back to the game: I tried to look at MSU's two-deep, but the weekly game notes on their football Web site links to a baseball news release. Neat.

SDSU's overview is helpful. McNeese has a senior QB, a senior-dominated offensive line with some good size, and some very good wide receivers let by Steven Whitehead who is small but killed us in Lake Charles. They've allowed only one sack, and with our injuries in the secondary, getting pressure will be key. My question for MSU supporters: Can your QB run? That always seems to give us some trouble.

As for SFA, Terry Vandovec from the Argus Leader saw them against us for two years and said they're vastly improved with their new passing scheme. And it's worth remembering, as Terry notes, that they gave NDSU a good half of football in Fargo two years ago. They have historically been the weakest team in a historically weak (other than McNeese) conference. But I think they'll surprise some people this year.

Your first comment has already been addressed by McNeese72 and hopefully you understand.

The McNeese website is new this year and I find myself stumbling around it as well but
    the "Cowboy football notes week 5" (page 11 is the depth chart) can be found at
    http://www.mcneesesports.com/ViewArt...8&SPSID=107039

McNeese starting QB is a Jr that runs well. His backup is a Sr and IMHO may be the best backup QB in the Division. The receiving corp is fast, deep and experienced with Whitehead (who is not the fastest by the way) leading the charge.

The head coach and at least one of the assistant coaches at SFA are former McNeese assistant coaches. By the time the game with them comes around this year the Cowboys will be ready (game is in Lake Charles this year)

Unfortunately, the Southland conference has been down the last few years for various reasons but hopefully things will improve this year. The league has produced a National Finalist in 2002 and Semi-finalists in 2004 and 2005 but no cigar.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
      Sounds like at least 75 & 72 are coming up. Any idea on how many McNeese fans will be up?

I tried getting back onto GeauxCowboys, but it's not liking that I've been there before (rabidrabbit is taken) but won't send me a password reset.
      Well, I know CBuck is coming with his 400 or so streak of consecutive McNeese games attended (home and away).

Doc

Comment

Were the first 100 usernames at the Cowboy site given out in numerical fashion? McNeese1, McNeese2, etc? If so, what happened to McNeese1-71? More importantly, what happened to the McNeese73 and 74's? To McNeese72 and McNeese75: Do you feel like you were shorted is choosing your names because you were limited to the number you were given? Do you feel jealous of "Cowboy Up" and "crossfire07"? These are the things I ponder.
        Last edited by rabidrabbit; 10-01-2008, 08:59 AM. Reason: Demo Smack
        "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
          Were the first 100 usernames at the Cowboy site given out in numerical fashion? McNeese1, McNeese2, etc? If so, what happened to McNeese1-71? More importantly, what happened to the McNeese73 and 74's? To McNeese72 and McNeese75: Do you feel like you were shorted is choosing your names because you were limited to the number you were given? Do you feel jealous of "Cowboy Up" and "crossfire07"? These are the things I ponder.
          I don't know about McNeese75 but 1972 is the year I received my undergraduate degree at McNeese. Thus, I'm McNeese '72 shortened to be McNeese72 on the messageboard. I've been McNeese72 all over the internet starting way back with the old AOL Div I-AA messageboard in 1994.

I'm an old fart.

Doc

Comment

Story out of Cowboy land:

http://www.americanpress.com/index.p...3179&Itemid=96

McNeese travels to face South Dakota State (10/1)

By BRIAN GUILBEAU
            AMERICAN PRESS

For the first time this year McNeese State will play a Football Championship Subdivision opponent on Saturday — barring any hurricanes that may find South Dakota.

This week is also a rare week for the Cowboys in which the normal routine of a game week should remain intact.

"This week we had really the first or second Monday where we came off a game and were reviewing Saturday's game and getting into this week's preparations," McNeese head coach Matt Viator said. "North Carolina and last week were really the only two full weeks we have had."
            The fourth-ranked Cowboys (2-1) will need the full week to prepare for a date at No. 23 South Dakota State (3-2) as the Jackrabbits have had their way with Southland Conference teams for the last couple of years. . . . (read more)

Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit View Post
              Story out of Cowboy land:

http://www.americanpress.com/index.p...3179&Itemid=96

McNeese travels to face South Dakota State (10/1)

By BRIAN GUILBEAU
              AMERICAN PRESS

For the first time this year McNeese State will play a Football Championship Subdivision opponent on Saturday — barring any hurricanes that may find South Dakota.

This week is also a rare week for the Cowboys in which the normal routine of a game week should remain intact.

"This week we had really the first or second Monday where we came off a game and were reviewing Saturday's game and getting into this week's preparations," McNeese head coach Matt Viator said. "North Carolina and last week were really the only two full weeks we have had."
              The fourth-ranked Cowboys (2-1) will need the full week to prepare for a date at No. 23 South Dakota State (3-2) as the Jackrabbits have had their way with Southland Conference teams for the last couple of years. . . . (read more)

Go State!
              Great article. I appreciate the writer taking time to get to know the atmosphere for this weekend. It just builds up the excitement. I wish I could attend.
              "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
              "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

We have a SDSU celebrity that was crowned "Weary Willie" at one time for Hobo Day. He is our very own Lynn Hohensee. See below from the Mcneese web page.

HOBO DAY: It’s a homecoming celebration hosted by South Dakota State and is considered to be the top such event in the state. The Jackrabbits have won their last five Hobo Day games and have a 27-19-0 overall record for Homecoming. Each year an alumnus is also brought back to serve as Weary Willie – the king of Hobo Days. In 1973 Weary Willie was local Lynn Hohensee who is now the West Calcasieu Port director.

Comment

Originally posted by McNeese72 View Post
                  I don't know about McNeese75 but 1972 is the year I received my undergraduate degree at McNeese. Thus, I'm McNeese '72 shortened to be McNeese72 on the messageboard. I've been McNeese72 all over the internet starting way back with the old AOL Div I-AA messageboard in 1994.

I'm an old fart.

Doc
                  75 is the year I graduated from McNeese and unfortunatley when I had to come up with a name, well I went the easy route. I owe Doc an apology for stepping on his turf (name)and causing general confusion for others.

Comment

Is that a McNeese_Beat article? It was funny, informational and just a great read. Sounds like McNeese has a beat writer with a knowledgeable working background, and a willingness to do the research.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                      Is that a McNeese_Beat article? It was funny, informational and just a great read. Sounds like McNeese has a beat writer with a knowledgeable working background, and a willingness to do the research.
                      No, unfortunately McBeat has moved across the Sabine River and now resides in the relm of Big Red (Big Bird, Bird Brain or whatever they like to call themselves) and no football.

He got a job as the Sports Editor of the Beaumont Enterprise and has left his position as the beat writer for the McNeese Cowbys for the Lake Charles American Press.

I think he needs to change his screen name on the AGS messageboard from McBeat to LamarBeat.

Doc

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Up View Post
                        We have a SDSU celebrity that was crowned "Weary Willie" at one time for Hobo Day. He is our very own Lynn Hohensee. See below from the Mcneese web page.

HOBO DAY: It’s a homecoming celebration hosted by South Dakota State and is considered to be the top such event in the state. The Jackrabbits have won their last five Hobo Day games and have a 27-19-0 overall record for Homecoming. Each year an alumnus is also brought back to serve as Weary Willie – the king of Hobo Days. In 1973 Weary Willie was local Lynn Hohensee who is now the West Calcasieu Port director.
                        Maybe I am wrong, but how have we only played 46 homecoming games? That doesn't make much sense. Seems like we have had Hobo Day for something like 90 years. Someone feel like educating me? I could go look in College on The Hill but I am lazy.

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                          Maybe I am wrong, but how have we only played 46 homecoming games? That doesn't make much sense. Seems like we have had Hobo Day for something like 90 years. Someone feel like educating me? I could go look in College on The Hill but I am lazy.

FOR THE ENTIRE ARTICLE GO TO
                          http://www.gojacks.com/ViewArticle.d...ATCLID=1593694

Courtesy: SDSU Sports Info
                          Release: 09/30/2008

HOBO DAY: Hobo Day, South Dakota State University’s annual homecoming celebration, dates back to 1912. Saturday’s game is the 95th Hobo Day game as no game was played in 1918 due to World War I and the 1943 game was played between two Army special training teams.
                          Overall, SDSU is 55-34-5 on Hobo Day, winning five in a row and 10 of 12. The Jackrabbits’ last Hobo Day loss was a 21-13 setback to North Dakota in 2002.
                          MISSOURI VALLEY NATION
                          http://missourivalleyfootball.com

South Dakota State University
                          http://gojacks.com

Comment

Originally posted by DakotaKid View Post
                            FOR THE ENTIRE ARTICLE GO TO
                            http://www.gojacks.com/ViewArticle.d...ATCLID=1593694

Courtesy: SDSU Sports Info
                            Release: 09/30/2008

HOBO DAY: Hobo Day, South Dakota State University’s annual homecoming celebration, dates back to 1912. Saturday’s game is the 95th Hobo Day game as no game was played in 1918 due to World War I and the 1943 game was played between two Army special training teams.
                            Overall, SDSU is 55-34-5 on Hobo Day, winning five in a row and 10 of 12. The Jackrabbits’ last Hobo Day loss was a 21-13 setback to North Dakota in 2002.
                            Was that posted here and I missed it? Sorry for being unattentive if it was. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by McNeese72 View Post
                              No, unfortunately McBeat has moved across the Sabine River and now resides in the relm of Big Red (Big Bird, Bird Brain or whatever they like to call themselves) and no football.

He got a job as the Sports Editor of the Beaumont Enterprise and has left his position as the beat writer for the McNeese Cowbys for the Lake Charles American Press.

I think he needs to change his screen name on the AGS messageboard from McBeat to LamarBeat.

Doc
                              LOL, well it can be done. We should start seeing Lamar posters at AGS. You'd think that USD/UND would be trying to get on Lamar's dance card while they're both none counters.

McBeat's replacement appears to be doing well.

Comment

I can't seem to find it in TV's blog but that doesn't mean it isn't there. The Argus has a blurb quoting TV. Brodie and Fischer will play. Looks like Kjerstad, Campbell, and Schroeder are all question marks. Two O-lineman are likely out in Knips and Bender. He doesn't mention Monke.

Thats not what I wanted to hear. Losing Bender for another game and Casey too pretty much makes our O-line as thin as its been in a long time. Berry and the RBs are going to have to make a lot of things happen for themselves. If indeed we are without both Campell and Conrad again the secondary is going to need a solid pass rush. Having Fischer back will help against the run but without Eric the pass rush won't be what it should be. Again, I hope the questionable guys can play.

As for the tailgate, lot opens at 10:00 am and they ask that everyone enter from the west via highway 14 until after 11:30. Lot is going to close at 1:30, no exceptions for Hobo Day.
                                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                                X