This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jim Langers Editorial Brookings Register

It's worth remembering that the letter to the editor that prompted this discussion was not written by some out of control party monster whizzing in the bushes and flipping off the UPD, but by a highly respected SDSU alum who also happens to be a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Here's a fun off topic fact - Jim Langer was eligible for and received entry into the Pro Football Hall of Fame before he was eligible for and received entrance into the SDSU Hall of Fame.
      I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
        Here's a fun off topic fact - Jim Langer was eligible for and received entry into the Pro Football Hall of Fame before he was eligible for and received entrance into the SDSU Hall of Fame.
        To quote Johny Carson:" I did not know that".

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
          I used to be full of useless knowledge, now I can just pull out little tidbits like this.

Pro Football Hall of Fame - requires 5 year wait after end of playing career

SDSU Hall of Fame - requires (unless it's been changed in the last few years) a 25 year wait after end of playing career

I'm looking forward to 2019
          I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

"That's weird, wild schtuff!"
            "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
              I am compelled to direct the attention of all posters on this thread to this newly hatched board moderation policy on political discussions. It appears to be applicable here as well. Click on the link to read the policy:

Rules for political discussions

Let's stay away from flame wars, OK?
              I object to Filbert's flaunting of the rules to majority of friendly, respectable posters on this forum. Just because there are a few posters abusing the privilege of posting does not mean he has to ruin my fun on this message board. My experience has been ruined.

Perhaps a private message to the offending or nearly offending parties would have been a better way to address their rule breaking behavior, rather than treat us all like rule breakers.
              “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                I object to Filbert's flaunting of the rules to majority of friendly, respectable posters on this forum. Just because there are a few posters abusing the privilege of posting does not mean he has to ruin my fun on this message board. My experience has been ruined.

Perhaps a private message to the offending or nearly offending parties would have been a better way to address their rule breaking behavior, rather than treat us all like rule breakers.
                I think it our passive-aggressive tendencies that are getting us all into some trouble here. Next time the UPD stops by our site I'm going to thank them for their presence in the lot and mean it sincerely. I will expect the same respect from them. Perhaps I can expect the same from some posters here instead of resentment manifest as glib comments.

Tailgating occures 4-5 times per year and is a major event perhaps twice. If you're going to try and tell me that the students wouldn't be "partying" elsewhere I'm gonna call you're bluff on that. Tailgating is not designed to provide a covert place for underage drinking. There is plenty of that going on regardless of the tailgating option.

If you don't like tailgating don't do it. That goes for those who are offended by the UPD and those who are offended by the tailgaters. I'm sorry I whined about my experience with the UPD last home game. I was doing more out of support for Jim's editorial than anything else.

Again, looking forward to Hobo Day, the parade, the alumni and family gatherings, the tailgating and the football game. We'll be in town Friday evening and plan to check out the downtown seen. Of course, at our age, we'll be safely home in bed no later than 12:00.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Against my better judgment, I'm going to make one last post on this thread, and hope it (the thread) is going away anyway.

1) We were tailgating north of Coughlin for several years, with a small group of fans, before the tailgate area was formed. There was no UPD and no need for them.

2) When the tailgate area was formed (on University property) it meant that a "no harm, no foul" rule was instituted on a "wink, wink" basis as long as things didn't get out of hand. That didn't last long, when students (with at least 3/4ths under age probably) found a "legal" place to hold a big "keg" party. Several incidents quickly showed the need to get some rules and security in place.

3) The person arrested by the UPD deserved it. I'm sorry that is true. Whether the UPD could have handled it "more sensitively" can be debated, but certainly isn't the main issue there. And the recent decision to start requiring bottled beverages to be in a cup makes sense to me (and I was told about the policy by a UPD employee and complied willingly. Empty beer cans thrown around are not the same as empty bottles).

4) Finally, I believe that a "university sanctioned" tailgate area is provided as a place for fans to gather with other fans prior to a football game, and that is what it is for. Good food, good friends, moderate drink etal add a dimension to the event, but shouldn't take away from the end purpose...the game, IMO. So I supported the decision to require closing of the area prior to the game.

I believe the UPD should not be described as "storm troopers" for enforcing the rules. If I believed they were out of order in any particular way, I would contact or talk to an athletic department employee, and/or the UPD office...not come on the fan board and complain about it. Jim Langer is a great guy and deserving SDSU athletic hero, and he chose to make his complaint public. That's his right. Now I believe, we should all calm down and let the system work for awhile. One minor incident should not be the focus of our retaining a great place to gather before our football games.
                  Last edited by Jacks#1Fan; 09-22-2008, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Jack#1Fan:

Some excellent points to sum up this thread. Is there any more to be said? I vote no.

Comment

Jack#1Fan:

Some excellent points to sum up this thread. Is there any more to be said? I vote no.
                      One more thing from me....until we start selling out Coughlin on a regular basis, make everybody that enters that Backyard have a game ticket (or student id). I'm tired of folks showing up just to tailgate and not attending the game. If they choose to take part in an SDSU Football activity, like gathering in the backyard, then make them buy the game ticket. Whether they come to the game or not is their decision, but the athletic department will benefit either way. It might also eliminate some of those folks that are there just for the party if that will help the atmosphere.

Once Coughlin is sold out, then open it up to anybody, as they might not be able to get a ticket.
                      "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
                        One more thing from me....until we start selling out Coughlin on a regular basis, make everybody that enters that Backyard have a game ticket (or student id). I'm tired of folks showing up just to tailgate and not attending the game. If they choose to take part in an SDSU Football activity, like gathering in the backyard, then make them buy the game ticket. Whether they come to the game or not is their decision, but the athletic department will benefit either way. It might also eliminate some of those folks that are there just for the party if that will help the atmosphere.

Once Coughlin is sold out, then open it up to anybody, as they might not be able to get a ticket.
                        Gonna have to disagree with you on this one. I have a few friends who have wives and little kids (18 months and younger) who enjoy coming to tailgating but can't sit through an entire game. Tailgating is a great way to let them enjoy the day with the crowd but not have to fight through a 3 hour game with a toddler. I don't think forcing everyone to go to the game is the best idea in this case.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                          Gonna have to disagree with you on this one. I have a few friends who have wives and little kids (18 months and younger) who enjoy coming to tailgating but can't sit through an entire game. Tailgating is a great way to let them enjoy the day with the crowd but not have to fight through a 3 hour game with a toddler. I don't think forcing everyone to go to the game is the best idea in this case.
                          Not to mention, a lot of students that go to tailgate and then go home are exactly that...students. They all have student IDs and could get in anyway.

Comment

Gotta love the latest user name registration. With popularity comes some disdain.
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                              Gotta love the latest user name registration. With popularity comes some disdain.
                              Lit. Kilber is very efficient with playing on the internet. He frequents facebook on a daily basis. Looks like he made his rounds to the Fan Site. A former guard at a federal prison and a marks man for shooting escapees. Welcome aboard Kilber.

Comment

Geeze, I just read this thread and have realized just how good we have it down here when it comes to tailgating.

Sure, we have some rules and regulations but nothing like what i read here.

The rule for tailgating time for the reserved tailgating spots is you are not supposed to be there before noon on Friday (but that can be fudged without too much repercussions) and you have to be gone by noon on Sunday.

And if you go to my tailgating pictures of the individual games at Doc's Shots you can see that there are no problems at all with any open type containers of alcohol beverages. We even have two frozen drink establishments across the stree from the Westside Tailgating area.

We have rarely have any trouble at all in our spots but our security is provided by off duty officers hired from the marshal and the sheriff offices not the McNeese Police Department.

We did have one problem a few years back of kids going around stealing beer out of unattended ice chests during the game. Now, when you leave for the game, you have to put your ice chest in a secure spot (like locked in your vehicle) or security will seize it.

We do have two new rules that are causing a little controversy but most of the hardcore tailgaters have welcomed the rules because there is a huge waiting list for renting the spots for the season. One rule is that if your spot goes two games without being used, the spot can be seized and rented to the next person on the waiting list. Second new rule is that spots have to be used for tailgating. You can not purchase the spots just for parking cars for the game. If no tailgating is going on and the spot is just being used for parking, the spot subject to be seize and rented to the next person on the tailgating waiting list.

As you can probably tell, our reserved tailgating spots on both sides of the stadium are well run and are a money maker for the University. There is a big demand for the spots and a long waiting list.

Right now, we are pushing for water and electricity to be run to the spots even if it raises the cost of renting the spots a few hundred dollars. I'd love to see electricity because it would get rid of all the generator noise.

Below is one of my favorite pictures that I took in our tailgating area years ago. I've caption it a few ways. "You don't want to overload that generator" , "The bare essentials of tailgating", etc.

One last thing. A lot of the McNeese fans will disappointed about the cowbell thing. This is one away game where we thought our cowbells would be welcomed. I'm sure a few McNeese fans will smuggle in what we call "throw away" bells.

Doc

Comment

Working...
                                X