Western Illinois

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Western Illinois

This game will come down to turnovers and fourth down situations. The Jacks need to get points when they are inside the 40 to have a chance for a win. If the Jacks can get points off Leathernecks turnovers, look for them to take chances at the endzone. The Leathernecks are almost guaranteed three points when they get within the 40. The Leathernecks success will come off Jackrabbit miscues. That said look for a very close game on paper and on the field as this one is a toss up.

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman View Post
      This game will come down to turnovers and fourth down situations. The Jacks need to get points when they are inside the 40 to have a chance for a win. If the Jacks can get points off Leathernecks turnovers, look for them to take chances at the endzone. The Leathernecks are almost guaranteed three points when they get within the 40. The Leathernecks success will come off Jackrabbit miscues. That said look for a very close game on paper and on the field as this one is a toss up.
      BHM has it right, Jacks will have to do their scoring more with the Offense getting TD's. WIU has THE premier PK in FCS, who is ahead of even Parker Douglass's torid pace and abilities. THE SPECIAL TEAM ADVANTAGE IS WITH WESTERN! Just shutting the Leathernecks down in the red zone may not be enough to win. Jacks need to stop them before the red zone.

This should be a great, tough, MoValley GAME!

Comment

No doubt WIU is a solid and storied program and this will be a great game.

But I feel confident about any game at Coughlin (where we're 18-4 since we started transition). And also, given the similarities between these two programs, I just have confidence in our guys' abilities to win straight up, one-on-one battles at the line of scrimmage. Nobody whips us at the line of scrimmage on either side of the ball. It just doesn't happen. That's a credit to the program as new players move in (Thompson, Fischer and several new offensive linemen) they continue to win those battles. I think it also says something about Stig's philosophy, which really comes down to each guy being physical and doing their job.
        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

It looks as though Herb Donaldson, WIU's stud running back, is getting some serious NFL looks:

http://nfl-prospects.blogspot.com/

Comment

OK guys, here is the stupid question of the day. I'll be sitting in the bleachers on the east side of the field for the first time ever. I'm trying to decide if I should bring my metal frame stadium seat with the back support. Can anybody tell me if it will fit or if it would be too much trouble and I should leave it at home. Those of you who believe I should stand the entire game may disregard this question.

Thanks,
            WRJ
            Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

From Coulson's Picks for week 3 the SportsNetwork

No. 15 Western Illinois (1-1, 1-0 MVFC) at No. 12 South Dakota State (1-1,0-0 MVFC), 7 p.m.

Two teams with aspirations for a Missouri Valley Football Conference title meet in a key game between ranked opponents.

South Dakota State enters the match up fresh off its inaugural league win, trouncing 13th-ranked Youngstown State, 40-7 last Saturday at home.

Sometimes erratic quarterback signal-caller Ryan Berry had a good day throwing the football for the Jackrabbits, particularly after tossing five interceptions in the season-opening 41-17 loss to the Iowa State Cyclones. Berry completed 13-of-19 throws for 319 yards and a touchdown in the win over the Penguins.

Perhaps most impressive was the performance of the Jackrabbits' defense, which limited the Penguins to a meager total of 205 yards offense, led by linebacker Jimmy Rogers, who contributed 13 tackles.

Western Illinois is off to a quite impressive start of its own, posting a narrow 28-24 setback to FBS and SEC member Arkansas in the opener, and drubbing Quincy 63-0 last Saturday.

Tailback Herb Donaldson is the centerpiece of Western Illinois' attack, with 285 yards and four touchdowns in the first two games of the 2008 season. Defensively, the Leathernecks have been anything but soft, with linebacker Jason Williams leading a hard-hitting unit that has given up just 535 yards.

Western Illinois 28, South Dakota State 24

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                From Coulson's Picks for week 3 the SportsNetwork

No. 15 Western Illinois (1-1, 1-0 MVFC) at No. 12 South Dakota State (1-1,0-0 MVFC), 7 p.m.

Two teams with aspirations for a Missouri Valley Football Conference title meet in a key game between ranked opponents.

South Dakota State enters the match up fresh off its inaugural league win, trouncing 13th-ranked Youngstown State, 40-7 last Saturday at home.

Sometimes erratic quarterback signal-caller Ryan Berry had a good day throwing the football for the Jackrabbits, particularly after tossing five interceptions in the season-opening 41-17 loss to the Iowa State Cyclones. Berry completed 13-of-19 throws for 319 yards and a touchdown in the win over the Penguins.

Perhaps most impressive was the performance of the Jackrabbits' defense, which limited the Penguins to a meager total of 205 yards offense, led by linebacker Jimmy Rogers, who contributed 13 tackles.

Western Illinois is off to a quite impressive start of its own, posting a narrow 28-24 setback to FBS and SEC member Arkansas in the opener, and drubbing Quincy 63-0 last Saturday.

Tailback Herb Donaldson is the centerpiece of Western Illinois' attack, with 285 yards and four touchdowns in the first two games of the 2008 season. Defensively, the Leathernecks have been anything but soft, with linebacker Jason Williams leading a hard-hitting unit that has given up just 535 yards.

Western Illinois 28, South Dakota State 24
                Can't agree with that final score. I don't think they have seen as balanced an attack as we will bring to the field Saturday. I could be wrong but I don't think I am. Regardless, its going to be a great football game to watch and I wouldn't want to be anyplace other than CAS Saturday night.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by West-River_Jack View Post
                  OK guys, here is the stupid question of the day. I'll be sitting in the bleachers on the east side of the field for the first time ever. I'm trying to decide if I should bring my metal frame stadium seat with the back support. Can anybody tell me if it will fit or if it would be too much trouble and I should leave it at home. Those of you who believe I should stand the entire game may disregard this question.

Thanks,
                  WRJ
                  Bring it. The seats are not the most comfortable in the world. It should fit.

As to my comment about if you were interested in sitting on the 50 yard line, I should have said there really wasn't that many to be had (I could see exactly which seats were open). I usually just buy my tickets at the game but I thought I better plan ahead better this week.
                  Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

I'm told there was a line outside the ticket office for much of the morning. Looks like a big crowd tomorrow.
                    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

The line is out for saturdays game:

JACKRABBITS favored to win by 5.5

Comment

42-17

One of SDSU's players garners PoW honors from their performance on Saturday.
                        I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Just spoke to a friend at First Bank and Trust. Based on the requests for tickets they have received he thinks there is going to be a big crowd tomorrow. Weather looks perfect. 15,000 or more is definitely a reasonable expectation. I'm glad I don't have to look for an excuse for not being at CAS tomorrow.

NWS forecast for Brookings:

Saturday: A 30 percent chance of showers, mainly before 1pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 72. Calm wind becoming west around 5 mph.

Saturday Night: A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly before 1am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 47. West southwest wind 5 to 15 mph becoming north northwest.
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                            Just spoke to a friend at First Bank and Trust. Based on the requests for tickets they have received he thinks there is going to be a big crowd tomorrow. Weather looks perfect. 15,000 or more is definitely a reasonable expectation. I'm glad I don't have to look for an excuse for not being at CAS tomorrow.

NWS forecast for Brookings:

Saturday: A 30 percent chance of showers, mainly before 1pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 72. Calm wind becoming west around 5 mph.

Saturday Night: A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly before 1am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 47. West southwest wind 5 to 15 mph becoming north northwest.

Sounds like perfect football weather to me!

Comment

Just got two east-side reserved tickets and got 50 yard line 16th row, which I requested due to the fact I get to stand and lean up against the guard rails all game.
                              I've got two season tickets, but bringing another couple with, so the ladies get the "prime seats on the west-side. But I was thinking that being able to stand with my back up against something, sounds pretty good. I might request them for season tickets next year!

Not many reserved seats left, according to the ticket office, westside has been sold out for awhile now!! Going to be a great atmosphere and great game!

Go Jacks!!

P.s. I won't need those tickets that were a maybe anymore MD, thanks anyway!! Tell Jack4Life to do whatever he can to get there and use them!! It's going to be a great day.
                              SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
                                Just got two east-side reserved tickets and got 50 yard line 16th row, which I requested due to the fact I get to stand and lean up against the guard rails all game.
                                I've got two season tickets, but bringing another couple with, so the ladies get the "prime seats on the west-side. But I was thinking that being able to stand with my back up against something, sounds pretty good. I might request them for season tickets next year!

Not many reserved seats left, according to the ticket office, westside has been sold out for awhile now!! Going to be a great atmosphere and great game!

Go Jacks!!

P.s. I won't need those tickets that were a maybe anymore MD, thanks anyway!! Tell Jack4Life to do whatever he can to get there and use them!! It's going to be a great day.

I agree completely. We usually sit towards the top of the east side every time... best seats in the stadium! I like watching the game looking up at the big side and the sidelines... just makes it feel like a bigger time atmosphere than looking across at the small side.

Comment

Working...
                                X