Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SDSU vs USD in Sx Falls???

Originally posted by State_fan View Post
    I'll admit it was packed in, but there was some room in the NE and SE sides of the endzones. There was also a little room along the fence on the visitors side (albeit standing sucks, never the less there was some room).

The real solution (and one talked about frequently on here) is a larger stadium... If you build it they will come.

I have seen the phrase used, "you don't build a bigger church for just Easter Sunday", and it definately applies here. IMHO, until we can show that we consistently get 15,000+ for games before and after Hobo Day we don't need a larger stadium. A nicer, more updated stadium is a different story.
    "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
      I don't know how on earth you get many more than 16,000 into Coughlin. When there are 15,400 like last Saturday, pretty much all of the seats are full, and people are lined up two or three deep along the fences. They brought in temporary bleachers, but those were full, too. Where are you going to put 2,000 more people?
      More than 16,000 (although not much more) have crammed into CAS before and I wouldn't bet against being able to cram 2,000/3,000 or more on top of that. It's been said before, we're bringing in 15/16,000 vs. teams that aren't bringing very many fans (maybe 100 or 200). A game against USD in the future will happen whether we like it or not. And when it does happen it's not only going to bring 3-4000 USD fans, but it's going to bring out a lot more casual fans. Think back to all the past games (FB or BB) against the U and how well attended they were in comparison to other games. More students/locals/alumni that normally don't attend will attend.

I should go on the record and say that I'm not advocating for us to hurry up and get USD on the schedule. We need to look out for ourselves first before we decide to help out USD. But I do believe, whether or not we like it, we will play again. And, it should/will be on our terms. I highly doubt we'll go to USD before they come to CAS.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
        I have seen the phrase used, "you don't build a bigger church for just Easter Sunday", and it definately applies here. IMHO, until we can show that we consistently get 15,000+ for games before and after Hobo Day we don't need a larger stadium. A nicer, more updated stadium is a different story.
        I agree, but I think were on that path... The rest of the home games this season will either verify whether I'm right or wrong. Having real bleachers instead of high-school look-a-like bleachers on the east side that could actually hold a greater capacity would get people off the ground and into some seats. Unless they want to sit on the ground, then to all their own. But, I do know this, there are a lot of students that don't come to games because of the packed house and no place to sit. We are growing up, and a 16k seat stadium (with overflow on the ground level) is something we should do.

Comment

I think the reason there is 3,000+ on the grass is because people like to watch the game from there lawn chair... I think when SDSU addresses updates that they will ad some seating but not alot. The advantage of having an outdoor stadium is you can add seating later when you need it they can hall in portable bleachers for big games they can't do that in the Dakota Dome. Nothing looks worse then a stadium that is 1/2 to 3/4ths full.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
            Agreed, that is why I questioned whether or not CAS could hold 18,000. Frankly, I don't know how they ever got 16,000 plus in order to set the record. However, there were some pockets of empty reserved seats on Saturday that you could see from sitting on the east side (they were pretty obvious so they must have been fairly large). I think you could also squeeze another large chunck of fans in if you had ushers working the aisles in the GA sections. There are always empty spots that people could move into that normally go unfilled because seated fans don't want to slide down or standing fans don't want to look for spots and obstruct people's view after kick off.

Because they probably didn't. It is now well know that the method of counting was suspect at best in the NCC and D-2, and still is down south. D-1 is audited much closer when it comes to attendence figures. Bottom line...the time is near for CAS to get an upgrade.

Go Jacks!!
            SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by State_fan View Post
              I agree, but I think were on that path... The rest of the home games this season will either verify whether I'm right or wrong. But, having real bleachers instead of high-school look-a-like bleachers on the east side that could actually hold a greater capacity would get people off the ground and into some seats. Unless they want to sit on the ground, then to all their own. But, I do know this, there are a lot of students that don't come to games because of the packed house and no place to sit. We are growing up, and a 16k seat stadium (with overflow on the ground level) is something we should do.
              If students are showing up because they do think they have a place to sit that's just foolish. Sure, they may not get a good seat in the student section but the best seats in the house are on the visitors side. The only year I sat in the student section at FB games was my freshman year ('97) and not very many students went to games that year (we ended up 4-6). My brother (he was a senior at State that year) and I would sip on peppermint schnapps throughout the game. Good times.

Comment

i have to agree with that if you want to sit get a reserve ticket and sit with the old folks....

Comment

When I said 'seat', I was referring to a place in the stands. Not that they all want to literly sitdown the entire game...

I agree showing up to watch the game should have nothing to do with whether they think there will be a seat for them or not. But, it is the case, foolish or not. As much as I want everyone to be a die hard jacks football fan and come to all games above all else, its not that way. But we are growing. And the visitors seating you mentioned? Thats the problem, its getting as full as the student section anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
                    Because they probably didn't. It is now well know that the method of counting was suspect at best in the NCC and D-2, and still is down south. D-1 is audited much closer when it comes to attendence figures. Bottom line...the time is near for CAS to get an upgrade.

Go Jacks!!
                    I was at that 16,000+ game in 1985 and I was at Hobo Day last Saturday. There definitely were more fans at the record-crowd game back in '85. The biggest difference is that there wasn't a chain link fence around the south end zone and the one on the east side of the field didn't extend as far north or south. Fans at the '85 game sat on the grass right up to the white media hash marks around the field, especially in the south end zone. You can't do that now. There's a picture in the Jackrabbit yearbook that shows how fans packed around the field for that game. If we assume the count was accurate last Saturday, I'd say it was spot on in 1985.
                    @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                    --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

I think when figuring out the SDSU USD game or any game with a possibility you have to look at some factors.

There is 11 games a year
                      4 home conference games
                      4 away conference games
                      1 money game vs D-IA program
                      thats 9 games there and I would expect one of the others being a home and home with UC Davis or Cal Poly.....

So that leaves one other game I would expect that SDSU would try to do one of numerous things with it.
                      1. Play 2 D-IA programs.... I don't see this happening unless a D-I team comes in and offers a big paycheck last minute and SDSU has an open date.
                      2. Manage the date as a 1 year contract and play home games vs. other D-I FCS (USD, UND, UNC, Central Arkansas, Georgia Southern, TSU, SFA)
                      3. Get into 2 and 1's with Montana, Montana State, or other top of the pack FCS teams
                      4. Get into 1 and 1's with other FCS teams

The last thing I see happening is playing on a nuetral field and hour from home. In front of a pack house but below average for SDSU.

The main factor is money though.... the conference games are there and the conference helps I think with travel cost or something in that area. The D-I BCS game is a payout. So with the other 2 games you want to get as much and spend as little as possible so I expect a California school just because they helped us in our transition, they are a notable opponent to casual fans, and the coaches and players like to go play in California. So I figure that contract is a pretty good money maker because you would figure that a California school would draw 10,000 on average so gate revenues from the home game would be in the $100,000 range (more in concessions, donations, and advertisement) if I was too guess it would cost $35,000 to ship us up there so all and all I would guess that the total contract would have us 75,000 plus. The other game is where the question arises I would prefer this game to be a little more local. in coming years the 2 and 1 with delware will occupy this spot but after that what do you do with the open date?

If you look at a neutral game in Sioux Falls you figure that it will be sold out (what if its not?) the event will pay for travel and the teams will split the gate.
                      10,000 even at $12 is 120,000 is a two year period you say ya that is more then the $75,000 that the Cal contract is worth but even if SDSU was to offer USD a home and home they would be making more money because 1 game at CAS every other year is going to generate close to $200,000 even after you figure in travel cost because 16,000 at even $10 is $160,000 and if you figure in advertisement and I am sure there would be a television deal it would be close to $200,000 and the travel cost on that year where you go there would be little. The way I look at a game at Howard Wood is that USD would be making more money but then again why would USD want to play outdoors, they complain every time they loose outside and say its because they are meant for the indoors. So the way I look at it is Sanford or whoever would have to offer a BIG guarantee for SDSU even to consider it.

The numbers are just estimates but I am just trying to get the point across.

Comment

NOBODY has more suspect attendence numbers than Northern State. They brag about their basketball attendence, but have to KNOWINGLY add at least 1,500 a game. Anyhow, that's not the point of this note. What I wan't to say is that I agree there is no need to play a game with USD or anybody else in Sioux Falls. Now, on the other hand, it's fairly well known in these parts that I think we should again play USD. And I know many people really dislike my take. I just think it would be good for the state and especially good for basketball attendence ... and we need help on the men's side of things. A football game with USD would break the CAS record. But I have a feeling, if both teams keep winning and the Great West title is on the line, that record will fall when we play NDSU in November. The Bison travel very well. Anyhow, just my two cents ... which is about all it's worth.

Originally posted by propar80 View Post

Go Jacks!!
                        Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Just what exactly is this West Coast football of which you speak? Is there really life west of the missisippi?

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                            i have to agree with that if you want to sit get a reserve ticket and sit with the old folks....
                            Old Folks? I am just 29 and have season tickets.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                              Old Folks? I am just 29 and have season tickets.
                              I am only 25 and have season tickets. I think we have a youth movement!
                              Go Big! Go Blue! Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfaninne View Post
                                I was at that 16,000+ game in 1985 and I was at Hobo Day last Saturday. There definitely were more fans at the record-crowd game back in '85. The biggest difference is that there wasn't a chain link fence around the south end zone and the one on the east side of the field didn't extend as far north or south. Fans at the '85 game sat on the grass right up to the white media hash marks around the field, especially in the south end zone. You can't do that now. There's a picture in the Jackrabbit yearbook that shows how fans packed around the field for that game. If we assume the count was accurate last Saturday, I'd say it was spot on in 1985.
                                I was at both games, too. You're exactly right. The big change is the fence. That's why I wonder about how many we could really pack in there today.

By the way... what a nice "problem" to be talking about. Our relatively large (for FCS) stadium seems to be too small.
                                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Working...
                                X