Georgia Southern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Georgia Southern

This game worries me. I don't have a good feeling about how our defense matches up with the jack rabbits.
    Our best hope is the shootout scenario.

Go Eagles

www.opiegsu.blogspot.com

Comment

I think this is a make or break game for the Jacks. We're rolling right now and are coming off two of the most (if not the most) dominating games we have played as a D1 institution. If we go down to GA and lay an egg we totally erase all of the momentum gained from the last two games. If we go down to GA and continue our excellent play, we head into conference playing as well as anyone. Chris on the Great West page stated he feels we are the 2nd best team in the conference right now behind NDSU. Winning at GSU would go along way to solidifying that statement and moving closer to setting up the possibility of winning the Great West on our way out the door. Granted, its only the 6th game of the season, but I think you'd be hard pressed to point to a more significant game in terms of how our season will shake out than this one. It is the crossroads game of the schedule.

Just my opinion here, but I feel very strongly that we're going to go down to GSU and impose our will. Catchemall and the rest of us following the game via the internet feed and this fansite were questioning some of the offense's lack of ingenuity coming off a week against Tex St. where we had all sorts of new wrinkles. I have no inside info here, but I am guessing the 1st quarter of last weeks game facilitated that lack of new plays. No need to show something new when we were obviously dominating and had the game in hand. I look for some new wrinkles this week against GSU (including, gasp, some runs out of the I formation) as we look to keep GSU guessing and maybe start to shy away from the shotgun to Koenig formation since it was averaging approx .5 yards a carry last week (not too much of an exaggeration). Additionally, our defense - particularly our D-line and Linebackers - are much improved from the last time we saw GSU. Even my oldest daughter can tell you (when she's not talking about butterflies and tinkerbell) a good defensive front 7 is the key to stopping a good running team. We all saw what happened last week when we forced a running team into throwing situations. A similar thing will happen this week if we can force them into 3rd and long situations. Its too early in the week to give a score prediction, but I feel very confident that SDSU will leave the south with their first victory against GSU, a perenial powerhouse FCS team.
      "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
        I think this is a make or break game for the Jacks. We're rolling right now and are coming off two of the most (if not the most) dominating games we have played as a D1 institution. If we go down to GA and lay an egg we totally erase all of the momentum gained from the last two games. If we go down to GA and continue our excellent play, we head into conference playing as well as anyone. Chris on the Great West page stated he feels we are the 2nd best team in the conference right now behind NDSU. Winning at GSU would go along way to solidifying that statement and moving closer to setting up the possibility of winning the Great West on our way out the door. Granted, its only the 6th game of the season, but I think you'd be hard pressed to point to a more significant game in terms of how our season will shake out than this one. It is the crossroads game of the schedule.

Just my opinion here, but I feel very strongly that we're going to go down to GSU and impose our will. Catchemall and the rest of us following the game via the internet feed and this fansite were questioning some of the offense's lack of ingenuity coming off a week against Tex St. where we had all sorts of new wrinkles. I have no inside info here, but I am guessing the 1st quarter of last weeks game facilitated that lack of new plays. No need to show something new when we were obviously dominating and had the game in hand. I look for some new wrinkles this week against GSU (including, gasp, some runs out of the I formation) as we look to keep GSU guessing and maybe start to shy away from the shotgun to Koenig formation since it was averaging approx .5 yards a carry last week (not too much of an exaggeration). Additionally, our defense - particularly our D-line and Linebackers - are much improved from the last time we saw GSU. Even my oldest daughter can tell you (when she's not talking about butterflies and tinkerbell) a good defensive front 7 is the key to stopping a good running team. We all saw what happened last week when we forced a running team into throwing situations. A similar thing will happen this week if we can force them into 3rd and long situations. Its too early in the week to give a score prediction, but I feel very confident that SDSU will leave the south with their first victory against GSU, a perenial powerhouse FCS team.
        On his show this week, Stig said he thinks they probably overused the direct snap to Koenig thing last week. I'm thinking you'll see more of the formations with both backs and Berry in the shotgun. There are an awful lot of things they can do from that set.
        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I just got an e-mail for our SID, Jason Hove, confirming that the GSU game will be broadcasted live on our website. 2pm EST (1pm CDT) is kickoff.

Comment

Video?

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
              I just got an e-mail for our SID, Jason Hove, confirming that the GSU game will be broadcasted live on our website. 2pm EST (1pm CDT) is kickoff.
              Yep, got the same e-mail. I get to see the game!!!

Gol State!!!!
              (\__/)
              (='.'=)
              (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

It is listed on the video site.

http://www.gojacks.com/liveEvents/li...B_OEM_ID=15000

Comment

Cool they have it listed on our site too.
                  XOS just re-did our website last week, so this will be our first experience with them and internet video.
                  I was wondering how well it has worked for you SDSU guys:L

1. Is it synched up with the audio braodcast?
                  2. How is the picture quality, etc.?
                  3. What about glitches and buffering, etc?

Thanks for any info.

www.opiegsu.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by eqguy View Post
                    Isn't Jayson the 5'10 265 fullback from the old triple option offense of Sewak?
                    Jayson is generously listed at 5'9", 164 lbs. However, he has 4.3 speed, as do most of our "skilled" players. He has the strength of someone 265 lbs. One man rarely brings him down, that is if he catches him.

Comment

Not too quick on our being dominated. It looks like it could turn out to be a matchup of size vs. speed. I think we will have a tough time handling your size. Our defense has given up lots of yardage and points and I don't see much change there. However, I think we have the speed to give you fits. We are no ordinary running team. We lead the FCS (and I believe all D-I) in rushing. I also predict a shootout. Your team is too good to think we can shut you down.
                      A couple of other things to consider, the game time temperatures are expected to be in the 90's and, even though it hasn't been the same advantage it normally is, the game is at OUR HOUSE. It is rare we are blown out at home.
                      I look foward to meeting many of you Saturday.

Comment

[QUOTE=MilwaukeeJacksAlum
                        Just my opinion here, but I feel very strongly that we're going to go down to GSU and impose our will. Its too early in the week to give a score prediction, but I feel very confident that SDSU will leave the south with their first victory against GSU, a perenial powerhouse FCS team.[/QUOTE]

Well:

It's a fact that our GSU Eagle football is basically in a "Jayson Foster's senior year" holding pattern this season.. I wouldn't even call 2007 a "rebuilding year" for our Eagles.. Having a group of players recruited by three different head coaches, for three entirely different offensive schemes means our new coach Chris Hatcher is just "making do" with the players he has, and adjusting this season's play to the talent available.

I don't think the GSU Eagle football program as visioned by Coach Hatcher will even be seen, except in glimpses, this season. What you WILL see is a group of pretty talented individual football players, who have been screwed, blued, and at least a couple, tatooed by our last idiot coach BVGOOBER. A group that to the man loves Coach Hatcher and playing football for him. I honestly believe each of them will give their very best for Coach Hatcher, and we'll just see from game to game how good that is.

This season BEGINS what most of us consider the new era of GSU football in the tradition of Erk Russell.. Coach Hatcher is a lot like the old coach, and we are darn glad, and fortunate, to have him.

Truthfully our Eagles, at this point, are NOT the triple option football powerhouse of old.. But, and it's just this old farts opinion, I honestly don't think the SDSU Jackrabbits are going to come into Statesboro, Ga this coming Saturday afternoon, and "impose their will" on our GSU Eagles in Paulson stadium..

I have enough respect for the Jackrabbit program to know you are going to bring some BIG, TALENTED football players to the 'Boro, and I expect a hard contest.. I do NOT expect SDSU, or any other team playing in Paulson Stadium, at "our house" to IMPOSE their wills on our GSU Eagles.. Respectfully, Just not gonna happen..

Lord willing, my wife and I will be right there watching, and if I'm wrong about this "will imposing" business I'll be right back over here saying so. But if YOU are wrong, please stop by our website www.tsc.com and chat with us a minute or two..

Hope you all have a safe trip to and from, and our folks treat your folks well..

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

Comment

I don't think we'll blow you out. I think we'll impose our will by way of line domination on both sides. I think it will be a well fought game, but our line will be too much for your team to handle on both sides of the ball. I have the utmost respect for your team and know our coaches have likewise. I just think we're going to bring too much midwest beef for you guys to handle. And the 90 degree weather isn't as big of a deal as it sounds. Up until 4 weeks ago, SD was blowing through 90 degree days on a regular basis.
                          "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by Killem View Post
                            I think we have the speed to give you fits.
                            You could have made this argument two or three years ago and been largely correct. Since we last played (a close game as I recall) we added about 25 scholarships and a lot of very skilled, fast players. I'm not saying that we're as fast from the top to the bottom of the roster as GSU, but we're not going to get run out of the stadium.

That old "Midwestern teams aren't fast" line doesn't really hold up anymore. For one thing, look at our roster. We've got players from all over the country. Speed has been an emphasis in recruiting for several years.
                            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I don't think we'll blow you out. I think we'll impose our will by way of line domination on both sides. I think it will be a well fought game, but our line will be too much for your team to handle on both sides of the ball. I have the utmost respect for your team and know our coaches have likewise. I just think we're going to bring too much midwest beef for you guys to handle. And the 90 degree weather isn't as big of a deal as it sounds. Up until 4 weeks ago, SD was blowing through 90 degree days on a regular basis.

Just a thought?

Has anyone even scored on the Jackrabbits the past two games?

Man, talk about domination.....

I just hope our little runts aren't so scared of the big boys from out West that they won't even come out of the fieldhouse.....

Come on down!

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

P.S. Can't you just imagine our 5'3" quarterback, Jayson Foster, peeking out of the field house and upon seeing the Jacks pregame warmup saying: "holy crap guys.. Those guys from SD are NFL size! I'm not going out there and let them screw my small butt into a hole in the ground.. You guys are on your on!"

Comment

Originally posted by PX View Post
                                I just hope our little runts aren't so scared of the big boys from out West that they won't even come out of the fieldhouse.....

P.S. Can't you just imagine our 5'3" quarterback, Jayson Foster, peeking out of the field house and upon seeing the Jacks pregame warmup saying: "holy crap guys.. Those guys from SD are NFL size! I'm not going out there and let them screw my small butt into a hole in the ground.. You guys are on your on!"
                                You're not going to bait me into overconfidence. Foster is an unbelievable player, and there's a ton of talent on that squad. It'll take a great effort for SDSU to overcome them and the great crowd that'll be on hand. I don't see GSU overlooking SDSU. And I don't think you'll find that our team thinks its going to be anything but a battle down there.
                                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Working...
                                X