X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Texas State

You can watch "Inside Bobcat Football" with TSU coach Brad Wright here:

http://www.firthessence.net/ibf/insi...t_football.htm

It's slow to download, but interesting. Wright gives no credit to SDSU, not a word. He claims there were questionable penalties, the grass was too long, etc. It's really kind of a sad performance.

Give Stig credit. When we lose, there are no excuses, no games. Stig tells it like it is.

Wright seems to be grasping for anything positive to say but forgot one way to mitigate a bad loss: Give credit to the quality team that beat the daylights out of you.
    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
      Wright seems to be grasping for anything positive to say but forgot one way to mitigate a bad loss: Give credit to the quality team that beat the daylights out of you.
      Well stated. The TxState coach doesn't appear very happy about his experience at CAS but he won't give the Jacks any credit. Oh well, I prefer the score at the end of the game vs a pat on the back.

Comment

Thanks JimmyJack for posting the link.

I got the feeling in watching this show, that the coach is under a lot of pressure to win. So I guess his best approach in doing his show is to show their positives in an overwhelming loss. You might say what was shown of the gameplay were SDSU negatives and Texas State positives. If they showed the great plays from our perspective, I think a lot of Bobcat fans would have turned the show off and done something else and also forget about coming to the next home game. That would not be good for Coach Wright.

I like every other Jack fan am kind of still giddy about the big win. The film shows that we have some areas to improve in still. Thats not to say we are not a good team, its just that there is always room for improvement. The Coach Wright show kind of shows that.
        I am not a strategist nor do I know where all eleven of our guys are all suppose to be on defense, but the fact that they got a number of good plays, shows us that we still have some work to do.

You have to remember, Texas State was known as Southwest Texas State when they were D2, and won national titles under a coach name Jim Wacker, who also coached at NDSU and U of Minnesota. Plus his predecessor got a promotion to Rice U, so the expectations in San Marcos are probably higher than they are in Brookings in my opinion.

I tend to believe Coach Wright was not trying to be disrespectful to SDSU, but maybe trying to protect his program from fans, who might are becoming a little restless. McNeese is their opening conference opponent.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
          Thanks JimmyJack for posting the link.

I got the feeling in watching this show, that the coach is under a lot of pressure to win. So I guess his best approach in doing his show is to show their positives in an overwhelming loss. You might say what was shown of the gameplay were SDSU negatives and Texas State positives. If they showed the great plays from our perspective, I think a lot of Bobcat fans would have turned the show off and done something else and also forget about coming to the next home game. That would not be good for Coach Wright.

I like every other Jack fan am kind of still giddy about the big win. The film shows that we have some areas to improve in still. Thats not to say we are not a good team, its just that there is always room for improvement. The Coach Wright show kind of shows that.
          I am not a strategist nor do I know where all eleven of our guys are all suppose to be on defense, but the fact that they got a number of good plays, shows us that we still have some work to do.

You have to remember, Texas State was known as Southwest Texas State when they were D2, and won national titles under a coach name Jim Wacker, who also coached at NDSU and U of Minnesota. Plus his predecessor got a promotion to Rice U, so the expectations in San Marcos are probably higher than they are in Brookings in my opinion.

I tend to believe Coach Wright was not trying to be disrespectful to SDSU, but maybe trying to protect his program from fans, who might are becoming a little restless. McNeese is their opening conference opponent.
          I'm not sure Rice is a promotion

I just think one way to mollify fans who are upset about a big loss is to give the other team credit and point out the fact that they're very good. Wright can't bring himself to utter a single word, good or bad, about SDSU in that program. He does offer a pretty lame series of excuses and some platitudes about all the positives for his team. I don't see many positives coming from a 35-point loss. Pretty sad.

Stuff like that just reminds me about how much I like Coach Stig.
          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

No doubt we have some talented young players coming on and have alot of other highly touted players red-shirting this year. Hopefully Saturday was a glimpse of things to come with this team, I was sure impressed![/quote]

Jacks-02, What do you know about the redshirts this year? I know the D-line has a couple of big holes to fill next year losing Pontrelli and Bonwell. Whose waiting in the wings?

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabid View Post
              No doubt we have some talented young players coming on and have alot of other highly touted players red-shirting this year. Hopefully Saturday was a glimpse of things to come with this team, I was sure impressed!
              Jacks-02, What do you know about the redshirts this year? I know the D-line has a couple of big holes to fill next year losing Pontrelli and Bonwell. Whose waiting in the wings?[/QUOTE]

I agree. I was thinking about NDSU and how great of a team they have this year. They're playing well with Steve Walker as their QB etc. I don't really know how young or old they're playmakers are, but I know they will lose Steve when they move to their eligibility years.

What I'm getting at is that I hope we are ready next year. We'll need to find a QB again and I know we can find replacements for defense and O-line (replacing a select few will be tough, Erickson, Wags, Pontrelli, Bonwell, etc), but I hope we can find some playmakers to come through because that's what we'll need the most when we are elibible for playoffs. We'll have Minette, but we'll still need someone to back him up or be next to him. I know these are all things the coaches know and will be concerned with, but I'm just expressing my feelings about it. Hopefully we can find these guys and make a run in the next couple of years. This will be especially important with having our scholarships up to the right number. But as much as I'd like to have a great team this year, I'd like this to be a building year(which we've been doing for a few years) so that we'll be ready.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUJack3031 View Post
                Jacks-02, What do you know about the redshirts this year? I know the D-line has a couple of big holes to fill next year losing Pontrelli and Bonwell. Whose waiting in the wings?
                I agree. I was thinking about NDSU and how great of a team they have this year. They're playing well with Steve Walker as their QB etc. I don't really know how young or old they're playmakers are, but I know they will lose Steve when they move to their eligibility years.

What I'm getting at is that I hope we are ready next year. We'll need to find a QB again and I know we can find replacements for defense and O-line (replacing a select few will be tough, Erickson, Wags, Pontrelli, Bonwell, etc), but I hope we can find some playmakers to come through because that's what we'll need the most when we are elibible for playoffs. We'll have Minette, but we'll still need someone to back him up or be next to him. I know these are all things the coaches know and will be concerned with, but I'm just expressing my feelings about it. Hopefully we can find these guys and make a run in the next couple of years. This will be especially important with having our scholarships up to the right number. But as much as I'd like to have a great team this year, I'd like this to be a building year(which we've been doing for a few years) so that we'll be ready.[/quote]

Berry is listed as a Jr. on the Roster. Is this correct? If so, this will be a great year to learn and build confidence for him going into next year.

Go Jacks!!
                SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Berry is a junior which probably factored into the decision to name him as a starter this year - he has 2 years of PT to utilize.
                  "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

"We moved the ball pretty good between the 20's, but it's not an 80 yard field, it's a 100 yard field."

Ummm....between the 20's is a 60 yard field there coach.
                    "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

The "red zone" is tough. I personally think Berry is the guy to get it done this year and next. I'll continue to be critical of his play but in my opinion he has responded pretty well.
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I'm not sure Rice is a promotion

I just think one way to mollify fans who are upset about a big loss is to give the other team credit and point out the fact that they're very good. Wright can't bring himself to utter a single word, good or bad, about SDSU in that program. He does offer a pretty lame series of excuses and some platitudes about all the positives for his team. I don't see many positives coming from a 35-point loss. Pretty sad.

Stuff like that just reminds me about how much I like Coach Stig.
                        Rice is 1A or FBC so I think it was a promotion. Is it not a promotion when the new job pays more? There is a great deal of endowed money that pays the coaches salary at Rice. They have a very small enrollment. They have academic standards that keeps the recruiting on a more selective plan. And from time to time they have had a winning record. I sure the precessor left because it was more money for him. Whether he turns the program around, remains to be seen.

I don't think Stig talking about Western Ill, Youngstown, or even UNI and how great they are would have made me feel better about the losses. In those games, and I have yet to see a Stig show, I would prefer to see the good plays the Jacks made, and really would not want to see the opponents good plays, nor is it necessary for Stig to comment on them. I know he would, but that his choice too. I dont think the compliements make Stig a better coach nor does it make him that much classier. Other than comment about the tall grass and the questionable penalties, I dont think Wright was negative towards towards SDSU. Privately, I am sure he would tell you SDSU is a good program.

The point it it Wright's show and he can do as he pleases about what he says and shows the fans. That apparently this is what he did, good or bad, we know we played a good game. So why is it necessary to make Texas State say "Uncle"?
                        Last edited by Nidaros; 09-27-2007, 05:48 AM.

Comment

I think we will be a stronger and much deeper team next year. Remember this years juniors were the first class recruited as a D1 class. Pontrelli and Gentile had there red shirts pulled due to injuries to older players ahead of them. The depth coming up is very impressive the quality of athletes we have recruited has been excellent.

Go Jacks !!!!!!
                          http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                            Rice is 1A or FBC so I think it was a promotion. Is it not a promotion when the new job pays more? There is a great deal of endowed money that pays the coaches salary at Rice. They have a very small enrollment. They have academic standards that keeps the recruiting on a more selective plan. And from time to time they have had a winning record. I sure the precessor left because it was more money for him. Whether he turns the program around, remains to be seen.

I don't think Stig talking about Western Ill, Youngstown, or even UNI and how great they are would have made me feel better about the losses. In those games, and I have yet to see a Stig show, I would prefer to see the good plays the Jacks made, and really would not want to see the opponents good plays, nor is it necessary for Stig to comment on them. I know he would, but that his choice too. I dont think the compliements make Stig a better coach nor does it make him that much classier. Other than comment about the tall grass and the questionable penalties, I dont think Wright was negative towards towards SDSU. Privately, I am sure he would tell you SDSU is a good program.

The point it it Wright's show and he can do as he pleases about what he says and shows the fans. That apparently this is what he did, good or bad, we know we played a good game. So why is it necessary to make Texas State say "Uncle"?
                            The Stig show is aired every week on gojacks.com. And an excerpt is shown on the scoreboard before every game at the 20 minute mark prior to game time.

Incidently, this "" is a smiley. It means that whatever came before it was a tongue-in-cheek comment. For example: "I'm not sure Rice is a promotion " actually means "Rice isn't a very good team" and not "I didn't know Rice is a 1A team."
                            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post

What I'm getting at is that I hope we are ready next year. We'll need to find a QB again and I know we can find replacements for defense and O-line (replacing a select few will be tough, Erickson, Wags, Pontrelli, Bonwell, etc), but I hope we can find some playmakers to come through because that's what we'll need the most when we are elibible for playoffs. We'll have Minette, but we'll still need someone to back him up or be next to him. I know these are all things the coaches know and will be concerned with, but I'm just expressing my feelings about it. Hopefully we can find these guys and make a run in the next couple of years. This will be especially important with having our scholarships up to the right number. But as much as I'd like to have a great team this year, I'd like this to be a building year(which we've been doing for a few years) so that we'll be ready.
                              Berry is listed as a Jr. on the Roster. Is this correct? If so, this will be a great year to learn and build confidence for him going into next year.

Go Jacks!![/QUOTE]

I apologize, I was almost positive that Burckhardt and him were juniors together. And...I guess not!

Comment

Have we talked about Jimmy Rogers? The kid's all over the field. He had 12 tackles Saturday night and I'll bet he was around the ball on about 90 percent of the defensive snaps. He's a 5'10", 200 lb. LINEBACKER, for heaven's sakes. I notice they had him covering slot receivers at times, they blitzed him a bunch of times, and generally, he's able to play wherever they want to put him. With his speed and (relatively small) size combined with toughness, he gives the defensive coaches a lot of options.

Those of you coming in Saturday for Hobo Day who haven't seen the Jacks this year should lock in on Jimmy from time to time and watch a young man who really gets after it, to use Stig's terms.

Rogers is really a gamer... and he's just a sophomore.
                                Glad you mentioned this too. Rogers was great, as well.

another player I liked in last week's game was #10 Brock Campbell
                                Did a real nice job from the safety position.

Man, reading about this past weeks game is just getting me more fired up to for this week's game.

Comment

Working...
                                X