Youngstown State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Youngstown State

Screens, short passes to our 6'6" All-American TE, short crossing patterns, lots of protection, occasional pass down the sideline to Harris to stretch them out a bit. That should be our passing game plan going in. Like footballfan said, let Berry get some confidence. Don't run any more of those option plays anymore. He stands straight up when he runs and was absolutely crushed every time they ran the option in the first half. You can't help but think that rattled him somewhat. Anytime you get your bell rung, whether on O or D, it's in your head. He had his bell rung hard 3 times in the first half. He's obviously not real comfortable running the ball. Give him an opportunity to get comfortable passing the ball. Let him show us what he can do.

As for our running game. Anyone have an idea who our 2nd string back is at this point? Who is going to spell Koenig during the game. I love him as our starting running back and think he hits the hole hard, but he's also shown he is not completely durable yet with a shoulder that is probably never going to be 100%. With Hohn down, who's next?
    "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
      With Hohn down, who's next?
      Kyle Minett? He got a snap or two against WIU.
      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
        That would be my guess. I can't make the trip out to Ohio but will be listening to Steve and Jerry on WNAX. Steve will be speaking to the Yankton Jackrabbit Club on Monday Sept 10th at the country club here in Yankton. I hope we get to talk about a game where the Jacks controlled the line of scrimmage, ran the ball hard and threw timely passes. I hope we are also talking about a winning effort.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
          I watched Jordan Paula when he was in high school. He was very fast and often scored on long runs. I have no take on how he has progressed at SDSU. I think our young guys in the rb stable need to be given a chance to build confidence just as Berry needs the same. Hohn's unfortunate injury may just give these younger guys a chance.
          Whether it Minett or others, we need yards on the ground and that hope they all can deliver.

Comment

My assumption is that Minett will be next in line. I would think he'll get quite a few snaps now.

Comment

I think Kyle Minnett and Adam Monke will get the most playing time behind Cory.

Go Jacks !!!!!
              http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Comment

This will be a tough game for the jackrabbits, If the Jacks want to win this game they are going to have to do this on offense; control the line, run the ball hard and be successful at it and most importantly when they do go to the air berry is going to have to hit the open receiver, and they can't settle on Parker Douglas field goals I know he is one of the best kickers in the nation but I would prefer him to have more PAT's then field goals this year.... On defense they have to avoid the long marches down the field, and are going to have to again control the line of scrimage.....
                Last edited by joeboo22; 09-07-2007, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by footballfan View Post
                  I think Kyle Minnett and Adam Monke will get the most playing time behind Cory.
                  Go Jacks !!!!!
                  I am not to familar with either of these young men, but the roster thumbnail seems to indicate talent. Funny but I keep coming up with the 2006 roster on the offical website, apparently the 2007 has not yet been posted.

http://www3.sdstate.edu/athletics/va...Kyle/index.cfm

http://www3.sdstate.edu/athletics/va...Adam/index.cfm

http://www3.sdstate.edu/athletics/va...rdan/index.cfm

I think we have a great group of up and coming guys. I must admit I am a little biased towards the local guy Paula, but if the other two are showing more in practice etc, then they should get the nod when they are needed. Lets hope we have some great plays. Name of person making the great play is secondary just as it is when a bad play is made.

Contrary to Joeboo, I will take a Parker Douglas FG any day over a failed two point conversion. Sometimes a PAT is not enough to win. You have to cross the goal line first and the defenses at the D1AA have been as tough if not tougher than the old NCC.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                    I am not to familar with either of these young men, but the roster thumbnail seems to indicate talent. Funny but I keep coming up with the 2006 roster on the offical website, apparently the 2007 has not yet been posted.

http://www3.sdstate.edu/athletics/va...Kyle/index.cfm

http://www3.sdstate.edu/athletics/va...Adam/index.cfm

http://www3.sdstate.edu/athletics/va...rdan/index.cfm

I think we have a great group of up and coming guys. I must admit I am a little biased towards the local guy Paula, but if the other two are showing more in practice etc, then they should get the nod when they are needed. Lets hope we have some great plays. Name of person making the great play is secondary just as it is when a bad play is made.

Contrary to Joeboo, I will take a Parker Douglas FG any day over a failed two point conversion. Sometimes a PAT is not enough to win. You have to cross the goal line first and the defenses at the D1AA have been as tough if not tougher than the old NCC.
                    For the new up to date roster thumbnails make sure your checking out the links from Gojacks.com, not the old athletic website. Gojacks.com has the 2007 info.

And I think Joe was referring to getting the ball in the endzone, as opposed settling for field goals, not necessarily going for two instead of the PAT.

Comment

Originally posted by State_fan View Post
                      For the new up to date roster thumbnails make sure your checking out the links from Gojacks.com, not the old athletic website. Gojacks.com has the 2007 info.

And I think Joe was referring to getting the ball in the endzone, as opposed settling for field goals, not necessarily going for two instead of the PAT.
                      Ya I had a typo which I have changed which should clear it up a little.

Comment

Originally posted by State_fan View Post

Thanks for tip on the Gojacks. I guess I have been under a rock when this was announced. As fine of an OL that we have getting into the endzone is going to be tough and it will not happen as often as we like. Last year we went for a bunch of two's and often it worked and there were seven games in a row that were won. This year I am not so sure we will have opportunities to go for two. I just dont see SDSU being overpowering on the offense, so to having a Parker Douglas FG is important. Prove me wrong, but after listening to the Western Illinois games, I just don't feel comfortable with our offense being able to put up big scores. I hope I am dead wrong after the Youngstown game.

Comment

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...23/1002/SPORTS
                          It's been a long time - 28 years - since a South Dakota State University football team stood so close to the banks of the Mahoning River. And that was one long day.

Ugly was the word used by athletic trainer Jim Booher and radio color commentator Jerry Oster - two of the witnesses involved in today's return engagement - to describe Youngstown State's 1979 victory against the Jackrabbits in the first round of the NCAA Division II playoffs. The game was played on a muddy high school field and the final score was 50-7.

SDSU had never been to the postseason before that day and hasn't returned since, while the Penguins - according to the scoreboard at 20,000-seat Stambaugh Stadium - went on to win four Division I Football Championship Subdivision titles in the 1990s, all under current Ohio State coach Jim Tressel.
                          "You walk into the stadium, you see that," said Jacks coach John Stiegelmeier, who was a student assistant on that SDSU playoff club. "Our guys know the tradition here, and they expect to step onto that field and compete with that level of football team."

Comment

http://www.vindy.com/content/sports/...7221264919.php

YSU set to renew rivalry tonight

The Penguins last played South Dakota State in 1979 in the NCAA Division II playoffs.

By PETE MOLLICA
                            VINDICATOR SPORTS STAFF

YOUNGSTOWN — It's been 28 years since Youngstown State and South Dakota State have met on the football field.
                            Both programs have come a long way since that 1979 meeting.
                            Today the Penguins and Jackrabbits will renew that series at 6 p.m. in Stambaugh Stadium.
                            Back in 1979 both teams were still playing in the Division II ranks and met in the quarterfinals of the NCAA playoffs at Fitch High Stadium.
                            The Penguins won that contest 50-7, followed it with a 52-0 win over Alabama A&M in the semifinals, reaching their first national championship game, which they lost to Delaware 38-21 in the Zia Bowl in Albuquerque, N.M.
                            Youngstown State and South Dakota State have played seven other times and the series is tied 4-4.
                            The two teams first met in 1942 with the Penguins winning 14-0, then didn't play again until 1968. Three of the Jackrabbits' wins have come in Youngstown. . . . (read more)

Go State!

Comment

WNAX pre-game starting now!

Comment

I hear you can get the game on-line live at Youngtown's site. $20.00
                                Can anyone confirm this??

Go Jacks!!!!!!
                                SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Working...
                                X