I'm miffed...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm miffed...

Okay, I just realized that I'm going to have to pay $4.95 a month if I want to LISTEN to Jackrabbit football games via internet streaming this fall. When did this happen? I wasn't planning on paying the $100 this year to watch games via internet and I REALLY don't (and won't) pay $4.95/month to listen. I more than miffed...

"Jackrabbit Extra Monthly Audio Pass
    Type: MONTHLY
    This is your monthly ticket to LIVE audio streaming brought straight to your computer. Subscribers will have access to LIVE audio of SDSU athletic events, including every football game and volleyball match this fall, as well as all men's and women's basketball games in the winter, and select baseball and softball games in the spring. This package runs monthly, and is for private use only. Note that subscribers will be billed monthly until terminating the subscription.
    Price: $4.95"

Re: I'm miffed...

can you listen to on WNAX for free?
    LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
      can you listen to on WNAX for free?
      Not unless I sit in my vehicle up on a hill. Even then, it's fuzzy (I live in the Northern Black Hills).

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm View Post
        Not unless I sit in my vehicle up on a hill. Even then, it's fuzzy (I live in the Northern Black Hills).
        You can listen to WNAX on the internet for free. It reaches all the way to Norther California.
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

That was with a partnership with SDSU. I'm sure SDSU has changed their thinking and will not allow WNAX to broadcast games for free anymore. I could be wrong though.

I don't see this as a big problem. Most other schools are doing it, and I think it is a good way to bring in more income for the athletic department.

Comment

My personal opinion is that it's foolish and short-sighted for lower-tier D-I schools (that's what we are, now) to charge for audio of broadcast games.

If nothing else, you should use it as a loss-leader to get people to subscribe to a paid video service. (Actually, I think it's un-smart for ANY college to block access of willing fans to audio netcasts of their sports. But then, I'm not and never have been into "marketing.")

If the WNAX netcast isn't free, then someone needs to whap Fred & Co. upside the head repeatedly (metaphorically speaking, of course).

On a related note--have they hired their marketing head yet?
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack View Post
              You can listen to WNAX on the internet for free. It reaches all the way to Norther California.
              Not anymore. Follow the link on wnax.com. It'll take you to gojacks.com and tell you that you have to pay $4.95.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                My personal opinion is that it's foolish and short-sighted for lower-tier D-I schools (that's what we are, now) to charge for audio of broadcast games.

If nothing else, you should use it as a loss-leader to get people to subscribe to a paid video service. (Actually, I think it's un-smart for ANY college to block access of willing fans to audio netcasts of their sports. But then, I'm not and never have been into "marketing.")

If the WNAX netcast isn't free, then someone needs to whap Fred & Co. upside the head repeatedly (metaphorically speaking, of course).

On a related note--have they hired their marketing head yet?
                Like you, I don't understand why they would turn away listeners across the nation. A lot of people are going to try to tune in to the game tomorrow night and find out they have to pay to LISTEN to the game. I just don't get it.

Comment

Count me in as double miffed.

Comment

Dang...I was planning on checking the score a couple times during the game. will Terry Vandrovec be there blogging?

Comment

Dumb, dumb, dumb. Plus, it'll be more added load on the poor little SDSUFans.com server.

Go, little server, go!

Maybe they'll at least leave the live stats "in the clear" for all y'all frugal folks . . .
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell View Post
                        Count me in as double miffed.

Most fans aren't going to pay 4.95 to listen to the game. That's a joke. They need to broadcast audio for free. This is a really bad move. I'm triple miffed.
                        LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

NDSU has been charging for years (although their prices are a little lower then ours).

http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.d...&ATCLID=188162

I paid the $9.95 for the "all access" so I could watch the game. Yes we used to get it for free, but think about it $9.95 or $4.95 isn't much (maybe a few gallons of gas or a "fancy" cup of coffee). I will easily get my monies worth.

Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit View Post
                            NDSU has been charging for years (although their prices are a little lower then ours).
                            Not exactly. Until this year, NDSU sold their radio rights to WDAY. They were the ones charging for the audio webcast(WDAY doesn't even live stream its regular programming). This year, NDSU managed a bit more control over the radio contract, so the WDAY audio feed will be synched up with the All Access video(last year it only included Fargodome audio). Also, for the last couple of years, NDSU's student radio has done their own free webcast for most games(all home FB, some away).

I do agree with most of you, it's okay to charge for video, but audio should be free whenever possible. I hope SDSU changes their stance(assuming it hasn't been forced on them by XOS) and I hope NDSU takes advantage of its new media contract to stream their main audio feed for free.

Comment

I'm not so miffed about the price, although I think audio should be free. I'm miffed because for some reason Windows Media Player won't work on my Mac so I guess SDSUfans.com will be my only update for the game.

Comment

Working...
                              X