• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
    Mark is making plenty at SDSU.
    You care to elaborate on that?

Comment

Originally posted by 98Jackfarmer View Post

You care to elaborate on that?
      No. I don't feel comfortable sharing it. I probably shouldn't have said anything. I am glad Mark is back and that there are boosters with means who are willing to support Jackrabbit athletes.
      One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

No. I don't feel comfortable sharing it. I probably shouldn't have said anything. I am glad Mark is back and that there are boosters with means who are willing to support Jackrabbit athletes.
        I appreciate you being forthright, but you probably shouldn't have said anything. I have my head in the sand on NIL and like to pretend that everything is like the good ol' days, but now I'm stuck wondering. I'm sure our players are getting NIL dollars, and I'm happy for them. But I really don't want to know how much. NIL $$ gives me the feel that players are only here for the money. No heart. No loyalty. I know this is an inaccurate sentiment, but not knowing players personally, how can I verify it? From the star player/recruit down to the 3rd string punter, I'm better off not knowing what anyone gets for NIL in order to avoid feeling like we bought their services.

Comment

I have heard rumors as well, but don't want to say simply because I have no idea if it is accurate. That being said, why shouldn't we know? These kids want to be treated like professional athletes, but then want everything to be hush hush? Not to mention if we contribution to the 605 collective, don't we have the right to know how that money is being spent?

Comment

I haven't heard much about the 605 collective lately. Can someone post the link to donate again?
            One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

I apologize in advance if I ruffle any feathers with this. Tanner's article was posted to Reddit's college football subreddit (r/cfb) two days ago. One of the comments (by a JI team member who also posted the article), mentions the rumored $ range by other schools and by SDSU.

Don't click if you don't want to know! https://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/comment...mment/l5bmpe3/

On Sam Herder's podcast (SDSU preview episode), Sam said he read that the highest earning Montana State players are getting up to 50k. 45 seconds later, Zimmer mentioned he heard (unconfirmed) that SDSU (collective/boosters) was able to give Zeke Mayo some money this past year.

Comment

I haven't heard much about the 605 collective lately. Can someone post the link to donate again?
                Statement 605 -- option to donate is near bottom of homepage

Comment

Originally posted by peavy View Post
                  I apologize in advance if I ruffle any feathers with this. Tanner's article was posted to Reddit's college football subreddit (r/cfb) two days ago. One of the comments (by a JI team member who also posted the article), mentions the rumored $ range by other schools and by SDSU.

Don't click if you don't want to know! https://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/comment...mment/l5bmpe3/

On Sam Herder's podcast (SDSU preview episode), Sam said he read that the highest earning Montana State players are getting up to 50k. 45 seconds later, Zimmer mentioned he heard (unconfirmed) that SDSU (collective/boosters) was able to give Zeke Mayo some money this past year.
                  Thank you for the spoiler alert and for sharing.

I appreciate that context, particularly given the implication among some folks that what happened is being hidden. If the "reddit range" is true, I think it speaks both to the type of culture the Jacks have established and the type of person Gronowski is. Barring a drastic change in behavior, I'll always root for the dude in his future endeavors.

Regarding NIL in general, I've balked at it in the past, and I hope that fans among us who can't necessarily afford to donate to initiatives like that aren't viewed as "lesser fans."

Lastly, there's a billboard in downtown Brookings featuring Gronowski and Brooklyn Meyer (for 4A Performance). I hope that female athletes don't get totally left in the cold given the attention FB and MBB receive.

Comment

Originally posted by peavy View Post

I'll reiterate that: Thanks for the spoiler alert. I'm not a fan of utter secrecy. There definitely needs to be some level of transparency, especially to donors. However, being too open with numbers somehow feels akin to posting wages of public employees. I want people properly compensated, but knowing specifics (for me) ignites a weird feeling of demand. "We are giving you $X; now you better earn it." People need more grace than that, especially student athletes. I'm probably in the minority on this.

Comment

Working...
                    X