FCS Championship Game - Montana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FCS Championship Game - Montana

I haven't watched all of Montana's games, but watched most of the Furman game.

Defense looks solid, didn't seem overly fast, but that is really hard to judge on tv. If they don't rotate their D-line a bunch, they will get worn down like every other good defense we have played.

Offense didn't impress me in that game and the QB looks to be inaccurate at times. What do others think?

I know Griz fans are playing the "we will always find a way to win" card and that may be true. They seem like a resilient bunch.

A few things from what I saw of the game:

1. Their defense wore down as the game went on. NDSU was gashing them at the end.
    2. NDSU had receivers running open deep all game long. Miller was just so innacurate that they weren't able to expose that. The Janke's will have a feast in this game. Run and the play action deep should be there all game.
    3. They have no running game outside of the QB. Stop them in the redzone and force FG ATTEMPTS as their kicker is not good.
    4. Don't kick to Bergen!

Comment

I've watched a couple of games. I think the defense is purported to be fast but a bit undersized. Blitzed NDSU quite a bit. Offense hasn't looked very impressive in any game or part thereof I've seen. QB is inaccurate, mobile but not terrible explosive on the run. It seems like they make plays when they need to but their offense is not a work of art. Kicking game is poor. Don't kick to Bergen.

Comment

Jacks open as 12.5 favorite per betMGM. I think it will be 14.5 before kickoff.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelSD View Post

1. Their defense wore down as the game went on. NDSU was gashing them at the end.
          2. NDSU had receivers running open deep all game long. Miller was just so innacurate that they weren't able to expose that. The Janke's will have a feast in this game. Run and the play action deep should be there all game.
          3. They have no running game outside of the QB. Stop them in the redzone and force FG ATTEMPTS as their kicker is not good.
          4. Don't kick to Bergen!
          Heins needs to have a day, I can see them rolling coverage to the Jankes on the play action. That should leave the old school tight end down the seam open. We need to utilize that early if available.

Also would like to see more screens if they run blitz hard.

Comment

4. Don't kick to Bergen!
            # 4 may be the most important. If it wasn't for the points scored by their special teams, Montana would have lost both of their last two games. Their offense hasn't impressed me. The QB is young, and he seems to get rattled when pressured. Our defense can force him to make bad decisions. And I agree on our receivers having big days. NDSU had receivers running open all day, and they either dropped balls, or Cam flat out missed them. Mark will not make those mistakes.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post

# 4 may be the most important. If it wasn't for the points scored by their special teams, Montana would have lost both of their last two games. Their offense hasn't impressed me. The QB is young, and he seems to get rattled when pressured. Our defense can force him to make bad decisions. And I agree on our receivers having big days. NDSU had receivers running open all day, and they either dropped balls, or Cam flat out missed them. Mark will not make those mistakes.
              I've been confused by folks' commentary regarding McDowell. Alex on JI referred to him as a freshman QB a couple weeks ago, but he's a senior. Is the argument that he has essentially a freshman's number of starts?

Comment

Originally posted by AZjack View Post

Heins needs to have a day, I can see them rolling coverage to the Jankes on the play action. That should leave the old school tight end down the seam open. We need to utilize that early if available.

I'm fine with Morgan getting targets too. He was the interview on tonight's "Jimmy Rogers Show" and sounds like a great dude. Plus, his TD during last season's championship games was an awesome play.

Comment

Season ticket holders should check their emails for confirmation of Championship tickets through SDSU.
                  Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

play action with TE down the seam should be utilized early and often. Hard to cover with Janke’s on the outside. One of the three will be left open. Just see Heins last TD vs Albany. And trust me, I know a thing or two about TE seam routes

I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

What? Gillman won the Rice award for a reason. And while Ostmo isn't Davis, he's a good power runner. If we let McDowell be the running threat then we have problems.

NDSU has a very good run defense and made sure to contain their running game.
                      Last edited by Bozemaniac; 12-18-2023, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

I've been confused by folks' commentary regarding McDowell. Alex on JI referred to him as a freshman QB a couple weeks ago, but he's a senior. Is the argument that he has essentially a freshman's number of starts?
                        I think people weren't paying attention and that since he wasn't the starter from the beginning of the season that he must be young/inexperienced/freshman. McDowell being the steadying presence on Montana's offense (coupled with their defense) is why they haven't lost since their conference opener, after which he became the starter. He seems to have become inconsistent with decisions and much of his passing in the Furman game, but he can make some really good throws (see the game winner against Furman). I think if our D gets pressure and keeps White and Bergen covered downfield, then we can force some big mistakes.

Comment

I haven't watched all of Montana's games, but watched most of the Furman game.

Defense looks solid, didn't seem overly fast, but that is really hard to judge on tv. If they don't rotate their D-line a bunch, they will get worn down like every other good defense we have played.

Offense didn't impress me in that game and the QB looks to be inaccurate at times. What do others think?

I know Griz fans are playing the "we will always find a way to win"* card and that may be true. They seem like a resilient bunch.
                          *Except in Flagstaff. So not really.
                          You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

The atmosphere @ Montana vs NDSU was fun to watch. The Jacks might be the best FCS team I’ve ever seen. If they play poorly and dumb they will lose. I don’t see any DL stopping the Jacks running game. Really good FCS teams expose slow defensive players. If I’m a Montana fan you go into this game confident because why wouldn’t you. I don’t see SDSU losing on a neutral field. Very impressive product.

Comment

It doesn't mean a lot with the game over two weeks away, but the weather forecast for game day has improved. A few days ago the forecast said mid 40's with a chance of rain. Today it says sunny and a high of 60, with light winds. Which would be ideal for players and fans.

Comment

Working...
                              X