UNI at Hobo Day...not a pretty history

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SlapJack View Post
    Homecomings are awesome for fans and students. The nostalgia. The hype. The build up. The events, parties, etc. However, the added events, busier schedule, and late nights (whether drinking or not) has to take a toll on players. I've seen so many Hobo day games where we came out flat. Were we hung over? I was... but if the players weren't, even accumulating an 8hr sleep deficit over the course of the week will affect performance. I can only hope and assume that coaches have players dialed in to perform their best.
    Usually. And I say "usually", the players aren't out doing anything out of the norm during the week.if they are out drinking that's a poor choice any week before any game. Like Rogers said in his weekly presser, the team doesn't get to enjoy the activities of the week like everybody else, your statement is a weird hand wringing with no real basis.
    With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post

Usually. And I say "usually", the players aren't out doing anything out of the norm during the week.if they are out drinking that's a poor choice any week before any game. Like Rogers said in his weekly presser, the team doesn't get to enjoy the activities of the week like everybody else, your statement is a weird hand wringing with no real basis.
      I can't argue about having no real basis. It's mostly projecting my condition onto the players and some anecdotes from 20 yrs ago. I didn't catch Roger's presser, but I like focus and intensity conveyed.

Comment

Originally posted by SlapJack View Post

I can't argue about having no real basis. It's mostly projecting my condition onto the players and some anecdotes from 20 yrs ago. I didn't catch Roger's presser, but I like focus and intensity conveyed.
        Right. So. Your statement makes it sound like the players are out drinking every night all week. I very much doubt this happens, especially in the D1 era.....we don't have to "hope" the players are focused. These guys are semi-professional by now. They know what they have riding on it, from scholarships $ to NIL $ to potential next level $. Or just fighting to be on the team. Yes, we were all hungover or already drunk on Hobo Day.....that is a separate item from what the players are actually doing and trying to accomplish

Comment

The worry over this game is getting a little ridiculous. Show up. STAND UP! and keep screaming until UNI starts crying. That's it. Support the team wire to wire. Yell on 1st down. Yell on 2nd down, Yell on 3rd down. Make it 1st and 15, don't wait until it's 3rd and 1. LETS $#$%%ing GO!

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
            The worry over this game is getting a little ridiculous. Show up. STAND UP! and keep screaming until UNI starts crying. That's it. Support the team wire to wire. Yell on 1st down. Yell on 2nd down, Yell on 3rd down. Make it 1st and 15, don't wait until it's 3rd and 1. LETS $#$%%ing GO!
            Man, I hope you're sitting on the east side with us, as this sums up my thoughts as well.

Comment

We need to step up our wave game.
              ​​​​​​https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G3jPZGA71A
              One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Is there some sort of conference rule we have to play uni most hobo days. Why not a western ill or isu blue?
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                  Is there some sort of conference rule we have to play uni most hobo days. Why not a western ill or isu blue?
                  Zim and Gaskins discussed this during last Nobody's Listening Anyway episode, and the rationale makes sense in a way. The Jacks will likely never have games vs. UND as Hobo Day, and of course, the others were too early.

Looks like it'll be Youngstown next year, and there's a fairly decent chance it'll be UNI again in 2025.

Comment

Well, they're not on the schedule this year. So ... .

State has played other teams on Hobo Day. I remember one in 2008 when my son was a freshman at State. It was vs McNeese St. Amazing game that ended poorly for the Jackrabbits. It took my son an hour or so to calm down after the game and I'm still not allowed to mention that game when he is around.
                    You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
                      Well, they're not on the schedule this year. So ... .

State has played other teams on Hobo Day. I remember one in 2008 when my son was a freshman at State. It was vs McNeese St. Amazing game that ended poorly for the Jackrabbits. It took my son an hour or so to calm down after the game and I'm still not allowed to mention that game when he is around.
                      Three guesses who the Jacks' leading tackler was that game.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

Three guesses who the Jacks' leading tackler was that game.
                        Jimmy Rogers?

Comment

Yep. The last Jackrabbit to touch the ball that game. For several years, in my group, it was "The Game That Shall Not Be Named." Or simply, oh no Jimmy. He has more than redeemed that tip. Many, many, many times over.
                          You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                            How bout we just man up and play like the $##$ing #1 defending Natl Champs? Jesus Christ can we grow a pair in here? Let's $#@%ing go!

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post

Jimmy Rogers?
                              None other.

I'm almost as hepped up for this game as I was for the semifinal against 'cats, partially because of the pessimism some have expressed here and elsewhere.

I see the Jacks flipping script on paltry sack stats and Hobo Day history to send Jacks fans home as happy Hobos.

Comment

Solid effort and intensity all game.

Before it became a media talking point, I felt like the pomp and circumstance of Hobo Day left us playing flat the majority of the past 20 seasons. The past weekend became an exception.

Here's to more exceptions next year, the year after, etc.

(changed “days” to “Day”. )

Comment

Working...
                                X