UNI at Hobo Day...not a pretty history

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNI at Hobo Day...not a pretty history

UNI is always a tough game whether its played in Brookings or Cedar Falls. But don't you think we should beat them consistently on Hobo Day? Well, that's not the case. Saturday's sell-out crowd has to get real loud to assist in winning the 2023 Hobo Day game.

Looking back 10 years...
    2022 SDSU at UNI. Jacks win 31-28
    2021 HOBO DAY. Jacks lose, 17-26
    20-21 SDSU at UNI. Jacks win 24-20
    2019 In Brookings but not Hobo Day: Jacks win 38-7
    2018 at UNI. Jacks lose 9-24
    2017 HOBO DAY. Jacks lose 18-38.
    2016 at UNI. Jacks win 45-24
    2015 HOBO DAY. Damnit...Jacks lose 7-10.*
    2014 at UNI. Jacks win, 31-28
    2013 In Brookings but not Hobo Day, Jacks win 37-34.

* Remember that 2015 finish? If you don't, you have a very kind memory. That was the "We shoulda kicked a field goal" game. It was a bad ending. From the game story on GoJacks.com: "Rather than opting to attempt a field goal that would likely have forced overtime, the Jackrabbits decided to go for it and were stuffed on a rushing attempt by Kyle Paris as Panther rover Tim Kilfoy tackled Paris for a loss." Stuffed? Heck, UNI's Kilfoy had apparently been in on the play calling from the Jacks sideline: he was in our backfield so fast...well, it wasn't pretty.

I've heard Stig tell the story a couple of times. He's turned that story into one a polished standup comedian could tell. Stig's story finishes with him attending church services the next morning and a young kid carries the collection plate over to Stig and asks "Why didn't you kick!?" If you ever hear Stig tell it, you'll be on the floor laughing.

No matter how good or how average UNI may be (seems to me the Panthers are never a bad football team), Coach Farley will have them ready. But, so will Coach Rogers. Our offensive coordinator, Zach Luhan, played in the 2015 "we shoulda kicked a field goal game". He'll know what to do.

I'm predicting SDSU 28, UNI 14.
    Last edited by JackJD; 10-10-2023, 03:54 PM.

Also have to include the two playoff games we've had against UNI in 2017 and 2019, both in Brookings. Won in 2017 37-22 to avenge the Hobo Day loss, and lost 13-10 in 2019 as UNI avenged their regular season loss to us. UNI is always a headache.

Comment

It goes back a while and the series still favors UNI. There are only five teams State has played more often; USD, NDSU, UND, Morningside and Augustana. I think that will become 4 next season.
      You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by JacksFan80 View Post
        Also have to include the two playoff games we've had against UNI in 2017 and 2019, both in Brookings. Won in 2017 37-22 to avenge the Hobo Day loss, and lost 13-10 in 2019 as UNI avenged their regular season loss to us. UNI is always a headache.
        It just seems that if you isolate the HOBO DAY games against UNI, UNI is winning a greater percentage (or in recent years, ALL) of those games. The win/loss record against UNI in non-Hobo Day games is respectable. I think we show a pronounced reversal of HOBO DAY fortune this Saturday.

For fans sitting real close to the field, listen carefully to the UNI defense after Jacks running plays. In prior home games, the visiting defensive backfield seems to talk a lot about Big Sky opponent UC Davis. It goes something like this: "UC Davis?" "Yeah, I had a glimpse as he knocked me down with a stiff arm and ran over me."

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post

In prior home games, the visiting defensive backfield seems to talk a lot about Big Sky opponent UC Davis. It goes something like this: "UC Davis?" "Yeah, I had a glimpse as he knocked me down with a stiff arm and ran over me."
          Took me a re-read or two... but this is gold!!!! 5/5 gold stars.

Fairly quiet around here for another big game this week... I assume everyone else is like me, holding their breath yet again, much like the UND game... because all the stats in the world don't matter for many of these conference games... particularly UNI, and/or Hobo Day.

Last year was a breath of fresh air playing Indiana State on Hobo Day, handling them easily 49-7. The previous 12 Hobo Day games always consisted of 3 perennially tough teams - UNI, SIU, or YSU, going 7-5 overall, and 1-3 against UNI. I believe in my head and heart that we'll handle business on Saturday - our team and coaching staff has shown the ability to make necessary in-game adjustments as necessary, which is very encouraging. Not a lot of teams can say that seriously.

Go Jacks! Happy Hobo Week!

Comment

The great thing about history…it is in the past. The bad thing about history, it often repeats itself. However, this is not the same team, not the same leadership and not the same fans. I have to take Rogers side and believe he will take care of his end if we take care of ours (fans). …standing and yelling is permitted throughout the stadium!

Comment

Originally posted by RahRahRabbits View Post

Took me a re-read or two... but this is gold!!!! 5/5 gold stars.

Fairly quiet around here for another big game this week... I assume everyone else is like me, holding their breath yet again, much like the UND game... because all the stats in the world don't matter for many of these conference games... particularly UNI, and/or Hobo Day.

Last year was a breath of fresh air playing Indiana State on Hobo Day, handling them easily 49-7. The previous 12 Hobo Day games always consisted of 3 perennially tough teams - UNI, SIU, or YSU, going 7-5 overall, and 1-3 against UNI. I believe in my head and heart that we'll handle business on Saturday - our team and coaching staff has shown the ability to make necessary in-game adjustments as necessary, which is very encouraging. Not a lot of teams can say that seriously.

Go Jacks! Happy Hobo Week!
              They won't be a bum on this hobo day I boldly predict !

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post

It just seems that if you isolate the HOBO DAY games against UNI, UNI is winning a greater percentage (or in recent years, ALL) of those games. The win/loss record against UNI in non-Hobo Day games is respectable. I think we show a pronounced reversal of HOBO DAY fortune this Saturday.

For fans sitting real close to the field, listen carefully to the UNI defense after Jacks running plays. In prior home games, the visiting defensive backfield seems to talk a lot about Big Sky opponent UC Davis. It goes something like this: "UC Davis?" "Yeah, I had a glimpse as he knocked me down with a stiff arm and ran over me."
                Hopefully they're saying that and something like "Wil-de Jacks ever let their foot off the gas" after a couple GW TDs

Comment

The thing I will be watching is how many defensive players will it take to pressure Day and what can he do if SDSU can't get to him with 4? Can Day make SDSU pay if they blitz or can he make them pay if they don't get pressure on him? He is, by far, their best player. SDSU has a great defense but they haven't provided much pressure on QB's much this season.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                    The thing I will be watching is how many defensive players will it take to pressure Day and what can he do if SDSU can't get to him with 4? Can Day make SDSU pay if they blitz or can he make them pay if they don't get pressure on him? He is, by far, their best player. SDSU has a great defense but they haven't provided much pressure on QB's much this season.
                    Hopefully the Jacks replicate what Weber State did

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                      I think more of the defensive backfield covering their receivers so well so QB pressure eventually gets to him, unless he gets away for a big run, maybe we'll be ready for that too if it's at least 10 yds or more for a first & 10 on 3rd down especially.We want them 3rd and long for most of the game, hate those large gains on first down especially so. If we are well balanced defending against the run and the pass , I'd be happy with that, not letting them get too much momentum going. This might sound conservative, but if it works, then you don't have to roll the dice on riskier calls. The strategy will likely change a bit as the game progresses and needs become more apparent. I have confidence in our offense being able to score against just about anybody as evidenced so far this season.

Comment

UNI defiantly is not as tough as they have been in the past. That being said they are still dangerous. Need to pressure on Day and not allow their speed guys to gash us. Need to tackle well, they will do alot quick routes like Ill state did. And on offense I know we can run on these guys like last week we just need to efficient on offense and give a our defense a cushion because UNI can score fast.
                        Go Big Go Blue ..... Go Jacks

Comment

Homecomings are awesome for fans and students. The nostalgia. The hype. The build up. The events, parties, etc. However, the added events, busier schedule, and late nights (whether drinking or not) has to take a toll on players. I've seen so many Hobo day games where we came out flat. Were we hung over? I was... but if the players weren't, even accumulating an 8hr sleep deficit over the course of the week will affect performance. I can only hope and assume that coaches have players dialed in to perform their best.

Comment

SDSU wins 40-21, fans will #@$%#@ again that somehow UNI has the audacity to score.......
                            With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Quick little article from Zim detailing some of our (sometimes painful) history UNI.

Comment

Working...
                              X