No announcement yet.

?? ESPN College Gameday in 23??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have no idea about the criteria applied to determine the site for a Gameday. One could guess that the criteria are flexible and may include (1) something noteworthy about the game to be played at that site; (2) something noteworthy about the site itself including, for example, the fact that the site may be hosting Gameday for the first or second time; or, the site is unusual (e.g.. downtown Fargo, ND rather than an on-campus setting). And the overriding factor may simply be entertainment -- IT'S TELEVISION!

The game to be played is a focal point but in most cases, the game gets no more attention than any other big games scheduled for that Saturday.

When Gameday was in Brookings, the Marker rivalry had grown in stature -- a significant portion of college football fans had probably heard something about the Dakota Marker. And, those fans who knew nothing about the Marker, learned something entertaining about FCS, and the NDSU and SDSU rivalry. To college football fans who favored neither NDSU nor SDSU, it's an interesting story. I also thought the setting on the Campus Green was prettier than most Gameday settings. Last but still very important: I think Gameday tries to be at a new site a few times during a season because the crowd can be more animated and large. Gameday at SDSU had a crowd (I was there!) as large as some settings at schools twice SDSU's size (particularly those who have hosted Gameday several times).

Would USD be a site Gameday would consider? Certainly. Will Gameday be in Vermillion when we play USD on the 28th? If I had to guess, I'd say 'not this year' but I can see the potential for that to happen if USD's fortunes continue to rapidly rise and we continues to be a perennial contender. Think of the story line: USD's win/loss record and its rise in the polls is directly connected to the new offensive coordinator (more than a footnote: former standout and coach at SDSU, now the offensive coordinator at USD, deserves a lot of credit for the rapid turnaround of USD) -- and a young and emerging offensive line that is loaded with underclassmen. A clash between two top-10 ranked MVFC teams both located in one of the least populated states in the country...that's a story. Might not be quite ready this year but I don't know why that wouldn't be attractive two years from now when the game will return to Vermillion.
    Last edited by JackJD; 10-17-2023, 10:51 PM.

Comment

The other thing is SDSU-USD is one of the older rivalries in college football. Older than Army-Navy. Certainly the oldest west of the Mississippi River.
      You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Zim tweeted there is a chance…

Comment

Cue up the meme “So there’s still a chance” from the film Dumb and Dumber.?

Comment

Only way it happens is if both teams win this week. USD should walk over Indiana State, but our game with SIU is a much tougher game, hopefully the guys aren't caught looking ahead to USD next week, and the Bison in two weeks.

Comment

An astute Twitter observer points out that the is also smoke about Colorado Mines in Golden CO hosting as well and, for what its worth, MillerCoors is a big Gameday sponsor. Does that play in?

Comment

Originally posted by jbjack View Post
                An astute Twitter observer points out that the is also smoke about Colorado Mines in Golden CO hosting as well and, for what its worth, MillerCoors is a big Gameday sponsor. Does that play in?
                Have they ever expressed interest in going down to a D2 game? I think the P5 faithful are probably annoyed enough about G5 visits, let alone the lowly FCS. A quick scan through CGD's Wikipedia page doesn't look like they ever have gone lower than FCS.

Comment

Originally posted by RahRahRabbits View Post

Have they ever expressed interest in going down to a D2 game? I think the P5 faithful are probably annoyed enough about G5 visits, let alone the lowly FCS. A quick scan through CGD's Wikipedia page doesn't look like they ever have gone lower than FCS.
                  2105 visit to Collegeville, MN, for St. Thomas at St. John's. DIII. Have never been to a DII game. If setting has anything at all to do with site selection, ESPN could do much worse than Golden (Vermillion, cough cough...).

Assuming the South Dakota schools take care of business this week, I'm more inclined to believe Gameday will be in Vermillion next week.

Correction: Sports Center, not Gameday was in Collegeville.

Comment

Originally posted by Carolina010 View Post

The reason I don’t think they will be going to Utah is that they just did an Oregon game Saturday. They aren’t going to do a game with the same team involved twice in 3 weeks. Also Utah plays USC this week so will potentially be coming if a loss. The only other top 25 game is #16 Duke vs #21 Louisville. Duke plays FSU this week so maybe if they pull off the upset they will go to that game but they have also already done a Duke game a few weeks ago.
                    They don't care about that at all. Notre Dame was on it back-to-back weeks this year, with their home game against Ohio State and then their road game against Duke. They probably wouldn't do two games in three weeks at the same place (they probably have with an SEC school) but Gameday was at Washington for the Oregon game and the Oregon/Utah game is at Utah so that doesn't matter. If it's the best game, it doesn't matter how recently one team was on.

Comment

A user on the USD board posted the odds for GameDay next week and SDSU @ USD is 3rd. Oregon @ Utah is 1st, and Georgia vs Florida in Jacksonville is 2nd. Utah could lose today against USC so that could drop them out.

Comment

Originally posted by JacksFan80 View Post
                        A user on the USD board posted the odds for GameDay next week and SDSU @ USD is 3rd. Oregon @ Utah is 1st, and Georgia vs Florida in Jacksonville is 2nd. Utah could lose today against USC so that could drop them out.
                        The "World's Largest Cocktail Party" rides again!
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Don't want to see USD get all the benefits of hosting Game Day, but it might help the Jacks when it comes to the game. Let the Yotes have to deal with the hype and pressure all week. Their players have never played in a game this big, while the Jacks certainly have. Have to think the Jacks will be ready after a sub-par performance today, and the reminder of losing the last two games in Vermillion.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                            Don't want to see USD get all the benefits of hosting Game Day, but it might help the Jacks when it comes to the game. Let the Yotes have to deal with the hype and pressure all week. Their players have never played in a game this big, while the Jacks certainly have. Have to think the Jacks will be ready after a sub-par performance today, and the reminder of losing the last two games in Vermillion.
                            I'm pf the same mind. It would be a distraction more so for JSD than SDSU. I don't think we have anyone left from 19 when GD was in Brookings but our guys have had a lot of big games under their belts. I don't see at as distracting at all for SDSU. But a USD ream that hasn't played in big games will have atoughee time ignoring the distraction.

Both teams may have had next week on their minds today. I doubt USD feels terribly satisfied with their win over the Trees. I feel lot better about an ugly win over a good SIU team than any Coyote should feel about a win over the trees.

Comment

I'm pf the same mind. It would be a distraction more so for JSD than SDSU. I don't think we have anyone left from 19 when GD was in Brookings but our guys have had a lot of big games under their belts. I don't see at as distracting at all for SDSU. But a USD ream that hasn't played in big games will have atoughee time ignoring the distraction.

Both teams may have had next week on their minds today. I doubt USD feels terribly satisfied with their win over the Trees. I feel lot better about an ugly win over a good SIU team than any Coyote should feel about a win over the trees.
                              All of or sixth year players should have been around, probably redshirting.

Comment

. I doubt USD feels terribly satisfied with their win over the Trees. I feel lot better about an ugly win over a good SIU team than any Coyote should feel about a win over the trees.
                                Good point. Both teams will review film and find lots of things to work on in preparation for next week’s game. The Yotes may even have more motivational material to review than the Jacks.

Comment

Working...
                                X