No announcement yet.

?? ESPN College Gameday in 23??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While Coyote football attendance is abysmal, this game is sold out and I assume that ESPN assumes that if they would go to Vermillion, both USD and SDSU fans will show out. That said, I don't think this game has the same compelling storyline as when Gameday came to Brookings. As much as I hate to say it, NDSU was the number 1 reason Gameday came to Brookings in '19. They were media darlings, having won umpteen straight natties, beating the P5 teams in money games, packing the Fargodome, etc. The compelling story was SDSU, Division 1 transition partner who also had unprecedented success but whose championship aspirations were always thwarted by the unreal bovine juggernaut. Lots of the thoughts in 2019 that that was there year we would finally get the monkey off our backs. Is there a compelling story line here? Maybe. We certainly don't have the media cache the Bison did during there run. There is of course the in-state rivalry piece. Maybe it would be stronger if USD hadn't pulled out a couple of miracle wins (although I would bet the hail Mary gets lots of play time by GD if they come) and they were staring at 23 years without a win. And sure, USD hasn't been very good, but they haven't been awful, either. Maybe if they were 1 and 10 for forever it's more compelling but they've at least been middling. And while they shouldn't apologize for beating lousy teams, the fact is they've played and beaten lousy teams. Not exactly Cinderella. There's no feel good story about the Coyote faithful persevering, filling up the dome and cheering on their K-9s through thick and thin. But, the landscape doesn't look to have much in the way of other compelling games around the country that day, either, unless there's some other FCS or lower game of interest somewhere, and those are the Saturdays where Gameday ends up in unlikely places.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackrabbit2012 View Post

Add seeing the 2021 Hail Mary about a 1,000 times to the list
      Yuck, I don't need to see that ever again. Maybe USD will lose this week and Gameday will go to Western Illinois.
      One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Please don't reward USD with Gameday because we are an outstanding team! I'd think that Corso and Herbstreit would be looking at the restaurants in Verm and be telling them not to send them there. Country Kitchen is as good as it gets down there. The one good thing for SDSU is that it will no doubt be a lot of blue down there.

#9 Oregon at #14 Utah would have to be the favorite heading into that weekend as it stands now.
        MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
          Please don't reward USD with Gameday because we are an outstanding team! I'd think that Corso and Herbstreit would be looking at the restaurants in Verm and be telling them not to send them there. Country Kitchen is as good as it gets down there. The one good thing for SDSU is that it will no doubt be a lot of blue down there.

#9 Oregon at #14 Utah would have to be the favorite heading into that weekend as it stands now.

The reason I don’t think they will be going to Utah is that they just did an Oregon game Saturday. They aren’t going to do a game with the same team involved twice in 3 weeks. Also Utah plays USC this week so will potentially be coming if a loss. The only other top 25 game is #16 Duke vs #21 Louisville. Duke plays FSU this week so maybe if they pull off the upset they will go to that game but they have also already done a Duke game a few weeks ago.

Comment

Originally posted by jbjack View Post
            While Coyote football attendance is abysmal, this game is sold out and I assume that ESPN assumes that if they would go to Vermillion, both USD and SDSU fans will show out. That said, I don't think this game has the same compelling storyline as when Gameday came to Brookings. As much as I hate to say it, NDSU was the number 1 reason Gameday came to Brookings in '19. They were media darlings, having won umpteen straight natties, beating the P5 teams in money games, packing the Fargodome, etc. The compelling story was SDSU, Division 1 transition partner who also had unprecedented success but whose championship aspirations were always thwarted by the unreal bovine juggernaut. Lots of the thoughts in 2019 that that was there year we would finally get the monkey off our backs. Is there a compelling story line here? Maybe. We certainly don't have the media cache the Bison did during there run. There is of course the in-state rivalry piece. Maybe it would be stronger if USD hadn't pulled out a couple of miracle wins (although I would bet the hail Mary gets lots of play time by GD if they come) and they were staring at 23 years without a win. And sure, USD hasn't been very good, but they haven't been awful, either. Maybe if they were 1 and 10 for forever it's more compelling but they've at least been middling. And while they shouldn't apologize for beating lousy teams, the fact is they've played and beaten lousy teams. Not exactly Cinderella. There's no feel good story about the Coyote faithful persevering, filling up the dome and cheering on their K-9s through thick and thin. But, the landscape doesn't look to have much in the way of other compelling games around the country that day, either, unless there's some other FCS or lower game of interest somewhere, and those are the Saturdays where Gameday ends up in unlikely places.
            How about 'Cats vs Vandals?

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

How about 'Cats vs Vandals?
              I would say the cats loss to us and Idaho just losing to Montana takes care of that one. To get gameday to an FCS school takes a perfect storm and two teams with FCS losses isn’t. Even though it’s just 1 FCS loss each.

Comment

When we are on top of the conference and national rankings I can see no harm that can come to the public image of the Jackrabbits by having Game Day anywhere in FCS football and our upside increases when it's in the MVFC, and even more when it is at our opponent's campus. The only thing better is if it is at our place. We don't have the game that would create that situation on our remaining schedule. Let's support the idea, even if we have to watch that disappointing play a few more times. It can remind us that we want to be up by at least 9 points when the clock ticks down to one second.
                Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post

Hartford Steakhouse is pretty dang good down there. Honestly, Brookings doesn’t have the best restaurants either. However, at least we have palatable tap water….

Comment

Toby's in Meckling...all day long.
                    One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

I think the chatter about GameDay in Vermillion is just idle.talk. USD’s success this season is good for the conference but there’s no unique storyline that would catch the attention of the ESPN Producers.

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
                        Toby's in Meckling...all day long.
                        even though Tobys family sold the place, the chicken is still the same. The best there is.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                          I think the chatter about GameDay in Vermillion is just idle.talk. USD’s success this season is good for the conference but there’s no unique storyline that would catch the attention of the ESPN Producers.

You may be right and Gameday won’t end up in Vermillion but it has already caught the attention of the producers if they had people on campus last week. ESPN isn’t sending people to walk around vermilion for the hell of it. If they actually had people on campus I would say it is one of a few options they are deciding between.

Comment

Originally posted by Carolina010 View Post

You may be right and Gameday won’t end up in Vermillion but it has already caught the attention of the producers if they had people on campus last week. ESPN isn’t sending people to walk around vermilion for the hell of it. If they actually had people on campus I would say it is one of a few options they are deciding between.
                            I must have missed the report that ESPN Producers were at USD. Interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post

I must have missed the report that ESPN Producers were at USD. Interesting.
                              Has it actually been reported anywhere? I've only seen a post on the Coyote board from someone who claims to be "in the know." I'm not good at Twitter but I haven't seen anything there. I would think that ESPN producers would have been fairly conspicuous and somewhere someone more reliable would be leaking info.

Comment

Originally posted by jbjack View Post

Has it actually been reported anywhere? I've only seen a post on the Coyote board from someone who claims to be "in the know." I'm not good at Twitter but I haven't seen anything there. I would think that ESPN producers would have been fairly conspicuous and somewhere someone more reliable would be leaking info.
                                FWIW, Zim was skeptical during today's Nobody's Listening Anyway podcast, and Gaskins referenced a thread that Zach Borg posted on "X" echoing that.

Comment

Working...
                                X