First game: Western Oregon U

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First game: Western Oregon U

Doing a little reading on the Jackrabbits' first opponent: August 31, Western Oregon University, an NCAA DII school. WOU enrollment is about 3300 undergrads and 350 grad students.

We played WOU in 2003 (SDSU 37, WOU 10 in Monmouth, OR) and in 2004 (SDSU 38, WOU 3 in Brookings).

WOU joined the Lone Star Conference a year ago and finished 3rd. Preseason Lone Star rankings has WOU picked to finish 6th in the 10-team league.

Talk about travel costs! Members of the Lone Star Conference include
    Western Oregon U (Monmourh, OR)
    Central Washington (Ellensburg, WA)
    Angelo State (San Angelo, TX)
    Texas A&M Kingsville (Kingsville, TX)
    Midwestern State (Wichita Falls, TX)
    Western New Mexico (Silver City, NM)
    UT Permian Basin (Odessa, TX)
    West Texas A&M (Canyon, TX)
    Eastern New Mexico (Portales, NM)

Central Washington, Western Oregon and Simon Fraser joined the Lone Star Conference as football members effective the 2022 season. After the 2022 season was concluded, Simon Fraser dropped football. [Good trivia question: Which Canadian University is a member of the NCAA ? Simon Fraser.]

After Simon Fraser suddenly dropped football, Western Oregon had a hole in their 2023 schedule...they filled that by scheduling a trip to Minnesota State U (Mankato) on October 14, 2023. Mankato always tough -- looks like Western Oregon doesn't shy away from traditionally good programs.

The list of football schools in the Lone Star Conference is familiar...several of those schools have strong football traditions -- Texas is a fertile recruiting environment.

Sul Ross State (Alpine, TX) is transitioning from DIII to DII and will join the Lone Star Conference in 2024. [Have to admit I had not heard of Sul Ross State or Alpine, TX before!]

By all rights, the Jacks should roll over WOU in the season opener; BUT I think WOU will be a pretty game opponent and the game could be fun to watch. WOU plays a tough DII schedule. I did a quick look around the WOU football website and saw no mention that their opener is against the FCS defending national champs. I guess they don't care who they're playing. I like that attitude.

Our Jackrabbits deserve to have a big crowd for the season opener -- welcome back after winning the first National Title.

Check out Wikipedia for Lone Star Conference; Western Oregon University
    Link: wouwolves.com/sports/football

Looking forward to getting this season started!

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
    Doing a little reading on the Jackrabbits' first opponent: August 31, Western Oregon University, an NCAA DII school. WOU enrollment is about 3300 undergrads and 350 grad students.

Looking forward to getting this season started!
    JackJD, thanks for putting in the effort into these posts!

As brought up in the 'Future Schedules' thread by:
    Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

Reportedly interesting back story re. how Wolves went from initially being slated to play Vandals to playing Jacks.
    Idaho was set to pay $80,000 for WOU to come to town, before they replaced them with the home & home with Lamar (who plays the mangy dogs in the dome on Sept 16). I wonder what their payday will be for coming to Brookings instead. WOU appears to have finished ranked at 47 of 165 D2 programs last year according to Massey. (Mankato 22, USF 45, Augie 56, Wayne State NE 60, SD Mines & Tech 64, Northern State 74, Black Hills 76 for what it's worth)

JackJD - you are correct about their massive travel budget. Checking out the D2 football map though makes their situation with Central Washington look pretty bleak (original link).

Comment

Originally posted by RahRahRabbits View Post

JackJD, thanks for putting in the effort into these posts!

As brought up in the 'Future Schedules' thread by:

Idaho was set to pay $80,000 for WOU to come to town, before they replaced them with the home & home with Lamar (who plays the mangy dogs in the dome on Sept 16). I wonder what their payday will be for coming to Brookings instead. WOU appears to have finished ranked at 47 of 165 D2 programs last year according to Massey. (Mankato 22, USF 45, Augie 56, Wayne State NE 60, SD Mines & Tech 64, Northern State 74, Black Hills 76 for what it's worth)

JackJD - you are correct about their massive travel budget. Checking out the D2 football map though makes their situation with Central Washington look pretty bleak (original link).
      I'd be interested in the payout too, because as I've mentioned, this game seemed ripe for a St. Thomas switcheroo that could've had Tommies play Jacks instead of BHSU, thereby reducing WOU's travel costs.

Comment

Now that both kids have started school, the new countdown they have begun is how many sleeps to SDSU football! Eight! Eight short sleeps away!!

Comment

Originally posted by RahRahRabbits View Post
          Now that both kids have started school, the new countdown they have begun is how many sleeps to SDSU football! Eight! Eight short sleeps away!!
          And, if they don't sleep that last night, it's only 7

Comment

I have two tickets for the season opener against W. Oregon... $20 for the pair. I'm not going to be able to make it, damn the luck.. DM me.
            Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Are there any predictions on ticket sales and crowd size?
              Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Originally posted by West-River_Jack View Post
                Thursday night opener with limited tailgating could be >14K. Montana State sellout could help for those who did not buy quick enough for Bobcats.
                Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by West-River_Jack View Post
                  I'll say at least 15,500.

Looks like their starting QB had offer at SMSU. Wonder how much he considered that. Might wish he had after meeting Petersen and Terveer a few times.

Comment

Is there any information on pre-game events? A ring ceremony, unveiling a championship plaque, naming of the field, etc? How about a time for any of this? Don't want to be tailgating and then getting stuck in any entrance lines, etc. Lots are scheduled to open at 4pm per an email so not much time to renew acqaintances.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakPirate View Post
                      Is there any information on pre-game events? A ring ceremony, unveiling a championship plaque, naming of the field, etc? How about a time for any of this? Don't want to be tailgating and then getting stuck in any entrance lines, etc. Lots are scheduled to open at 4pm per an email so not much time to renew acqaintances.
                      Someone read your post (or at least this was just released [screenshot of portion of webpage below]). Screenshot 2023-08-26 173437.jpg

Comment

Wake up drowsy rabbits, it's GAME DAY! If you haven't kept up to date, there's bunches and bunches of great content from the Jackrabbit Illustrated guys - both written blogs and video/podcasts,a fantastic article from Tanner Castora, and Tyler Merriam/Rogers coaches show to stream to keep you busy for the next several hours. If that's not enough to hype you up, I don't quite know what is.... Football is back, baby!!!

Expect to see lots of playing time from 2nd and 3rd stringers today. Hoping for a clean game free of injuries, and hoping to not see any of the redshirt freshmen burn 1 one of their 4 free games without being a legit contender to play serious minutes this year and have their RS pulled.

Not much chatter anywhere on the very unknown Wolves program, but I know they going to come in jazzed up, knowing if they pulled off an upset, it very well would be the biggest game of their entire program's history. They're coming in to give us their best shot.

I know the Thursday game is kind of odd... but general consensus is it stays away from Labor Day weekend that could have hurt attendance even more. Looking at the weather forecast... I think we can be pretty happy the game isn't on Saturday now. Come 7 pm tonight, temp will be 80-82F, with a light 17 mph breeze out of the straight south. Saturday likely would-be 6 pm game slot is forecasting at 92-96F with a 7 mph wind.

Current bubble count has 2,224 still available is all, so depending on students, expect a crowd in the 16-17k range. That would be the largest home-opener crowd in DJD history, and I'd sure imagine SDSU football history. 17k would be #7 in DJD all-time attendance records... and we sure didn't attain the 17k mark very often in Coughlin.. so probably top-10 ever.

SDSU football is back, clearly as exciting as ever, and it all starts... TODAY. Go JACKS!!

Comment

Who put this on a Thursday?

Comment

We might as well use this as a Week 1 Thursday MVFC game thread, too...
                            Watching Indiana State trail Eastern Illinois 6-0 with 3:12 left in the first half.
                            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

EIU at Indiana State now on ESPN+
                              Youngstown State hosts Valpo, starts 6:30 pm on ESPN+
                              USD at Mizzou starts at 7 pm on SEC Network (ESPN+...I think)
                              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                              X