Spring Game 4/22/23 SJAC 2:30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
    One more thought about the spring game. Why not make a bigger deal of it? Make it more fun and informational. Have someone greet the fans on the PA system. Introduce the players and coaches - especially the coaches because there is so much turnover in their ranks. Explain the scoring system. After the game promote the fall schedule more and thank the fans for coming. The last couple of years, everything but the game itself has been pretty bland. Opportunity lost.
    Great points. Also, I hope there is better weather next year so we can play outside and heck I’ll even tailgate.

Comment

Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post

I think after Morgan, Bollweg and Gannon were on the field the most. Not sure who was on the field first, but i do think Bollweg had the first target. as i recall both were highly regarded recruits. seems logical that both are going to get chances to be the next guy up after Heins and Morgan
      Matt Zimmer mentioned in the spring practice outlook that Kevin Brenner had made the conversion completely to tight end. Was he on the field at all??

Comment

Originally posted by 73alum View Post

Matt Zimmer mentioned in the spring practice outlook that Kevin Brenner had made the conversion completely to tight end. Was he on the field at all??
        yes i am pretty sure i did see him out there and i would even say he maybe-ish??? did have a target???, but i am not gonna promise i saw that. i do recall that last year they were very excited about this position group and claimed that they had strong expectations for players beyond Kraft, Heins, and Morgan. that was before moving Brenner over but they obviously had reason to move him, but my guess is that they do see him more the fullback / TE combo that Morgan has been. dont know Brenner's year off the top of my head, but my guess would be he plays a LOT more special teams this year and gets far more time on offense after Morgan is gone, if he is still around

well i checked before hitting send
        he is listed as a senior. but i am gonna guess he is same class as I Davis and has another year if wanted. not saying Davis will be around another year. i highly doubt that, but he could be and i think so could Brenner and i would guess Brenner would almost definitely stay if it is possible

ALSO
        probably more a roster question but i am here so i am gonna ask
        i see a Cody Cotton, DB, transfer from Upper Iowa, Wisconsin native, played one year it appears at UIU. did that JUST happen? i dont recall hearing anything about it or remember him on the roster before, but i will admit on this one i will NOT be surprised if i am WAY OFF!!
        anyway, seemed like a brand new addition -TO ME- figured only way to know is to ask and show everyone how dumb i am.

looks like what is becoming pretty typical DB size for us. kind of amazing how many DBs we have at 6'1 or taller. i think we have more DB that size than LBs. not saying they have the same weight but we really seem to prioritize the DBs with length lately

Comment

Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post

yes i am pretty sure i did see him out there and i would even say he maybe-ish??? did have a target???, but i am not gonna promise i saw that. i do recall that last year they were very excited about this position group and claimed that they had strong expectations for players beyond Kraft, Heins, and Morgan. that was before moving Brenner over but they obviously had reason to move him, but my guess is that they do see him more the fullback / TE combo that Morgan has been. dont know Brenner's year off the top of my head, but my guess would be he plays a LOT more special teams this year and gets far more time on offense after Morgan is gone, if he is still around

well i checked before hitting send
          he is listed as a senior. but i am gonna guess he is same class as I Davis and has another year if wanted. not saying Davis will be around another year. i highly doubt that, but he could be and i think so could Brenner and i would guess Brenner would almost definitely stay if it is possible

ALSO
          probably more a roster question but i am here so i am gonna ask
          i see a Cody Cotton, DB, transfer from Upper Iowa, Wisconsin native, played one year it appears at UIU. did that JUST happen? i dont recall hearing anything about it or remember him on the roster before, but i will admit on this one i will NOT be surprised if i am WAY OFF!!
          anyway, seemed like a brand new addition -TO ME- figured only way to know is to ask and show everyone how dumb i am.

looks like what is becoming pretty typical DB size for us. kind of amazing how many DBs we have at 6'1 or taller. i think we have more DB that size than LBs. not saying they have the same weight but we really seem to prioritize the DBs with length lately
          We talked about Cody Cotton with Coach Bobbit on the recruiting wrap-up podcast for Jackrabbit Illustrated. Give it a listen!
          Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by 73alum View Post

Brenner was on the sideline with an injury.. Gormley, Muirhead, and Alpers also nursing injuries. Brenner should be a good fill in for blocking but sounds like he’s still struggling with the playbook. Needs more time to figure it out so he doesn’t have to ask who to block in the huddle.

Comment

Originally posted by AZjack View Post
              I think the Jacks offense will be in 12 personnel a lot this fall with the o-line and the backs we have. With that being said, I'm not that concerned with WR depth as the OL depth. That does worry me. Bo Donald does need to step up.
              I think OL depth is a huge concern. Half of the offers we have out for the 2024 class are on the OL so I think the coaching staff is really looking to try and fill in there. The fact that the OL was the one group that we rarely subbed in for during the game (even in garbage time) and the serious commitment to recruiting that position next year has me a bit worried. That is a group that HAS to be good for us to be successful.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelSD View Post

I think OL depth is a huge concern. Half of the offers we have out for the 2024 class are on the OL so I think the coaching staff is really looking to try and fill in there. The fact that the OL was the one group that we rarely subbed in for during the game (even in garbage time) and the serious commitment to recruiting that position next year has me a bit worried. That is a group that HAS to be good for us to be successful.
                It was concerning that the starting OL played almost every minute last season. But it's easy to forget that there were new starters at RT and RG, along with a center playing his first year at that position.. The OL maybe more than any other position group is dependent on learning to play together, and they needed those extra minutes to become a unit. You can plug in a new player in most of the other position groups and be fine. But the OL is a different animal that depends on knowing how the people playing besides you are going to react in different situations.

Comment

Bigticket1 and SteelSD Have especially indicated that the OL number of snaps last year was a big concern. I guess it is based on that however according to the roster, every one of the OL is back including the reserves.

I checked the participation report from last year and Bo Donald started the first game, then appeared in eight games after that. Will he finally be healthy this year? Beerntsen replaced him and probably O’Brien did also. Beerntsen played in 13 games with 12 starts. I’m not sure the participation report is totally accurate but maybe it’s close.

Greenfield, McCormick, Miller and O’Brien starting all 15 games. They were backed up by Beck, Vibert, Bloomenrader and Colby Christiansen with six, eight, eight and seven appearances respectively! Can the back ups give the starters more rest this coming year… I would think they should be able to but I guess the coaching staff knows that!!! And, can they all pretty much stay healthy!!!

Westside always has a good position review…we will have to wait for that as the year progresses. But he also mentioned a year ago that the graduating class of Genant, Lickiss, Eddie Miller, Aaron Johnson, Gruetzmacker and Ian Bass were big losses but we still came through shining this past year!! I’m just hoping the reserves step up more this Fall…we can’t expect the starting OL to be as injury free as last year!

Comment

It is a big difference subbing the entire 2nd group in at one time as they were in the spring game to needing to sub one or two in.

Comment

Working...
                    X