Spring Game 4/22/23 SJAC 2:30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring Game 4/22/23 SJAC 2:30

Here is a thread for all of our overreactions during the spring game! I’ll start. Seems like a great crowd. Running out of bleacher space.

Defense giving no holes in the running game

Comment

Chase Mason probably had the best day of the QB's competing for the backup spot. Threw a really nice deep ball for a TD. And on Angel Johnson's long TD run, he almost got to the end zone before Angel did to help celebrate, so he must have good speed.

Comment

I was glad to see Chase do good today. He is still not consistent enough to give Mark a real run for his money right now. But God forbid something happens to Mark we can definitely win with Chase. He more reps he gets the more he will improve too, he honestly hasn’t had many reps in this program.

Blake Peterson saw a lot of action. Didn’t start but had a ton of reps with the reserves. Probably because he didn’t play as much in the fall as the guys who were on our team. He had one sack but I wasn’t watching him close enough to judge anything else.

WR #18 Graham Goehring is going to be good. But after that I wasn’t super impressive with the WR room. It’s obvious they think Devon Cole can be an impact though. Toss Wilde in and we have some solid depth.

Jalen Lee had a nice interception. He was a hyped up recruit. He can earn some time at corner this fall.

Derrick Johnson didn’t last long out there but WOW did he impress. Hopefully he’s not hurt too bad. Between All Day Davis, Amar, and him, we are filthy in the backfield.

Comment

Originally posted by salemjack View Post
          I was glad to see Chase do good today. He is still not consistent enough to give Mark a real run for his money right now. But God forbid something happens to Mark we can definitely win with Chase. He more reps he gets the more he will improve too, he honestly hasn’t had many reps in this program.

Blake Peterson saw a lot of action. Didn’t start but had a ton of reps with the reserves. Probably because he didn’t play as much in the fall as the guys who were on our team. He had one sack but I wasn’t watching him close enough to judge anything else.

WR #18 Graham Goehring is going to be good. But after that I wasn’t super impressive with the WR room. It’s obvious they think Devon Cole can be an impact though. Toss Wilde in and we have some solid depth.

Jalen Lee had a nice interception. He was a hyped up recruit. He can earn some time at corner this fall.

Derrick Johnson didn’t last long out there but WOW did he impress. Hopefully he’s not hurt too bad. Between All Day Davis, Amar, and him, we are filthy in the backfield.
          Johnson had his arm in a sling. Lee actually had 2 interceptions. Jacks will be very deep at the CB position.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
            Chase Mason probably had the best day of the QB's competing for the backup spot. Threw a really nice deep ball for a TD. And on Angel Johnson's long TD run, he almost got to the end zone before Angel did to help celebrate, so he must have good speed.
            He ran a 10.94 100 in HS so yes he is fast (this was before the second knee injury obviously)

Comment

I think Jon Bell is the No. 2 QB. Chase Mason is No. 3 and probably is trying to become No. 2. The No. 4 QB is a bit of a puzzle. The guy wearing jersey number 9 was the fourth QB to warm up and play. According to the program, that was Caleb Francl, who began last season as a starting linebacker but was injured in the first game missed most of the season. QB Jeff Becker is also listed on the program. He supposedly wore number 17, but maybe the program was wrong. Becker might have been 9. If so, what number was Francl wearing? Did he play?
              This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                I think Jon Bell is the No. 2 QB. Chase Mason is No. 3 and probably is trying to become No. 2. The No. 4 QB is a bit of a puzzle. The guy wearing jersey number 9 was the fourth QB to warm up and play. According to the program, that was Caleb Francl, who began last season as a starting linebacker but was injured in the first game missed most of the season. QB Jeff Becker is also listed on the program. He supposedly wore number 17, but maybe the program was wrong. Becker might have been 9. If so, what number was Francl wearing? Did he play?
                Tyler said on the broadcast that a number of LB's. including Francl. were not playing.

Comment

The defense was spotted 18 points at the start of the game. Ultimately, the offense won 23-18. But with the exception of three or four big plays, the offense looked kind of stodgy. QBs missed several open receivers on short routes. Granted, it's difficult to run the ball between the tackles in a game of glorified tag football.
                  This space for lease.

Comment

Didnt they change it up a few years ago and actually had a modified game. Split the team in half. Like a blue team and yellow team. Where both teams had offense and defense so it simulated more of a real game. I would prefer that format.
                    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                      Didnt they change it up a few years ago and actually had a modified game. Split the team in half. Like a blue team and yellow team. Where both teams had offense and defense so it simulated more of a real game. I would prefer that format.
                      Too many players sitting out recovering from injuries. Said there weren't enough bodies to have two full squads.

Comment

This format, offense vs defense with a running clock, was good. It's just a question of how many points do you spot the defense. The answer on Saturday was determined in advance to be 18.
                        This space for lease.

Comment

This format, offense vs defense with a running clock, was good. It's just a question of how many points do you spot the defense. The answer on Saturday was determined in advance to be 18.
                          It was based on the difference between points scored per game and points allowed per game last season.

Comment

Becker was wearing 9. There was multiple people in different numbers than the program indicated. Couldn’t have been that hard to make sure that’s correct.

I think Mason is QB2 by the end of fall camp.

Comment

The defense was spotted 18 points at the start of the game. Ultimately, the offense won 23-18. But with the exception of three or four big plays, the offense looked kind of stodgy. QBs missed several open receivers on short routes. Granted, it's difficult to run the ball between the tackles in a game of glorified tag football.
                              Well the offense also played basically the entire game without Grono or either of their top 2 RB and only 1 of their top 3 pass catchers
                              I dont think Davis even touched the ball again after throwing the pass on the opening play, and i dont think Grono or Davis were on the field for more than 5 plays

and YES I KNOW that the defense also played without Stalbird, Freeman, Francl, and Shaefer (and i am sure other top guys who were not specifically mentioned also sat out. i am pretty sure that i saw Beanum on the sideline without pads too), but we commonly play 7 or 8 LB in a game and play #2 DBs a LOT and sometimes #3s, while we basically never play more than 1 QB and 2 RB in any meaningful parts of a game

all of that said, it pretty much made sense the offense looking inconsistent, but i was VERY impressed by what the defense did without BIG TIME playmakers / difference makers Stalbird, Freeman, and Beanum even in the parts of the game facing our entire starting O Line

BY FAR the biggest bummer was D Johnson getting hurt, but if it is strictly an arm injury he should be back pretty easily by fall camp
                              I was actually a bit surprised he did not get on the field last fall as a true freshman. i really thought there was a chance he would pass Amar last fall for the #2 job. I think Amar, obviously, deserves a lot of credit for the progress he made last year, but D Johnson did look exciting in limited action today and could be ready to be the next in our line of game changing RBs

Comment

Working...
                              X