No announcement yet.

Holy Cross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, not sure how I missed it... but I learned today that the Patriot League now offers 60 football scholarships (very close to FCS limit of 63), and has since the 2016 season. Historically, they did not offer football scholarships, then bumped it to 15 offered in 2013.

Glad to see they have drastically improved (awhile ago)... and good to know Holy Cross and the rest of the Patriot League will continue to be more competitive going forward. Allowing a playoff AQ to a league that wasn't even in the ballpark of financially competing was just nonsense.

Edit: Reading Zim's Argus story on HC is what lead me to that "realization".

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post

Working on determining "JackrabbitRealist's" true colors -- he's posted on this forum two times (convenient--you can read both posts in this thread! ) He hasn't written anything inaccurate so far but his motivation is questionable. We'll keep an eye on him. In the meantime, don't feed the troll.
      Wow, Lakes is on to his 2nd account in a week. Must be a new record.

Comment

Pumped for this weekend, and wanting to focus on football. Facing Sluka this Saturday will be a good test for our defense. While we have faced a couple very dynamic running QB's this year in Shelly and Schuster, the next test - and potential one after as well if things go well, will be a whole different animal.

Both Sluka and Mellott lead their teams in rushing, with some very capable backs ready as well. They both have just as many rushing yards gained as Isaiah Davis (1168, 1050, and 1062 respectively), and doing so on fewer carries. Going to be a tall test for our defense... Excited to see the Rogers game plan, and execution from our vary capable players!

Total rush yards for:
        Holy Cross - 3126
        Mont. State - 4151 (just hypothetical... certainly not counting my "Delaware's" before they hatch)
        SDSU - 1989

Comment

All it really would take for me is Lofton issues an apology. As long as it's not a violent crime. He will be punished by the system.. they can sit him a half if they want. Some may remember we gave Seth Gross a second chance when he came here. Why ISU ever let him go, I'll never know. The incident was similar in charges. Guy was a model citizen and won SDSU its only National Championship in any D1 sports
          With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by RahRahRabbits View Post
            Pumped for this weekend, and wanting to focus on football. Facing Sluka this Saturday will be a good test for our defense. While we have faced a couple very dynamic running QB's this year in Shelly and Schuster, the next test - and potential one after as well if things go well, will be a whole different animal.

Both Sluka and Mellott lead their teams in rushing, with some very capable backs ready as well. They both have just as many rushing yards gained as Isaiah Davis (1168, 1050, and 1062 respectively), and doing so on fewer carries. Going to be a tall test for our defense... Excited to see the Rogers game plan, and execution from our vary capable players!

Total rush yards for:
            Holy Cross - 3126
            Mont. State - 4151 (just hypothetical... certainly not counting my "Delaware's" before they hatch)
            SDSU - 1989
            I am worried about the quaterback scrambles. Not just because these are two great running QB's but because SDSU has struggled with this in the past.

I do not know what to take from the rushing stats, but they do give you a rough guess.

The MVFC only had 4 of 10 teams that allowed more than 160 yards/ game rushing this season.
            The Patriot league had 4 of 6 teams allow more than 160 rush yards/game.
            Holy Cross did rush for 243 yards versus Merrimack. They ran for 253 yards against Yale. They ran for 326 yards against Bryant. They ONLY rush for 147 yards against Harvard.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post

Hard to imagine that there won't be some kind of disciplinary action for Saturday.
              Zim's article indicates team disciplinary action is pending.

Comment

could i suggest if there is going to be more discussion about something having to do with one of the athletes but about off field events, that we have a separate thread for it, since this is OF COURSE related to the performance of the team but it is pretty tangential to this topic

also, IF IF IF Malik or any other athlete or coach Stig did anything, i have no right to judge them or condemn them either publicly (HERE) or privately. i am as imperfect and as much of a knucklehead as anyone. and i have needed mountains of grace and forgiveness so i would be a huge hypocrite to judge someone else

that said WHEN i do make a bad decision, i try hard and i do believe i am good at accepting the consequences of my choices and actions, even if the consequences are hard or unpleasant or embarassing, and i believe that the team and the school and those who are involved will decide what consequences will be useful and appropriate. there absolutely WERE consequences for coach stig and if the players need consequences i trust the people involved to decide what is appropriate. but none of us have ANY place in deciding the consequences so really the only appropriate thing we can do is realize that none of us are perfect, hope the best for everyone involved, and stop ourselves from judging another person

even if i knew EVERY fact i dont have a right to judge but i KNOW that i, like probably everyone else here does NOT have all the facts, which makes any judgement on my part more hypocritical

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
                  All it really would take for me is Lofton issues an apology. As long as it's not a violent crime. He will be punished by the system.. they can sit him a half if they want. Some may remember we gave Seth Gross a second chance when he came here. Why ISU ever let him go, I'll never know. The incident was similar in charges. Guy was a model citizen and won SDSU its only National Championship in any D1 sports
                  I appreciate Theee Catrabbit's (and other's) willingness to take a moderate view of the situation. To add some context to what has been reported in the news: Second-degree petty theft is a Class 2 misdemeanor in SD law. A Class 2 misdemeanor is punishable by up to 30 days in jail or a fine of up to $500 or both the jail sentence and the fine. To be clear: that is the maximum punishment that can be imposed for a Class 2 misdemeanor conviction. In most Class 2 misdemeanor cases, when there aren't aggravating circumstances, a person determined to be guilty (by admitting guilt or being found guilty at trial) usually pays a fine and no jail sentence is imposed or, if jail is imposed, it is typically suspended on conditions including the defendant being a law-abiding citizen for a period of time (e.g. six months to a year is pretty common). A Class 2 misdemeanor is the lowest or least significant level of crime in South Dakota (there are offenses that are called petty offenses and technically not crimes...e.g. a traffic ticket; garden-variety speeding charge). Compare: a DUI or Simple Assault are examples of Class 1 misdemeanors which can be punished by a fine of up to $2000 or a jail sentence of up to one year, or both the fine and jail. What is the distinction between a felony and a misdemeanor? Misdemeanors can be punished by a jail sentence in the county jail while a felony conviction exposes one to the potential for a penitentiary sentence (we're talking about potential sentences...it is possible for one can to be convicted of a felony or misdemeanor but never serve a day incarcerated).

It is concerning when sanctions are imposed before one is convicted. Of course, we won't know if the athlete makes admissions to the coaches or if there is persuasive proof of bad behavior that has been established outside of the criminal justice system, that merit discipline (whether or not there is a conviction). There are some claims (teammates speaking up in Twitter comments) that whatever the incident was that gave rise to the petty theft charges, they are defensible and can be explained and as far as we know at this point, they may be not be accurate.
                  Last edited by JackJD; 12-08-2022, 12:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post

I am worried about the quaterback scrambles. Not just because these are two great running QB's but because SDSU has struggled with this in the past.

I do not know what to take from the rushing stats, but they do give you a rough guess.

The MVFC only had 4 of 10 teams that allowed more than 160 yards/ game rushing this season.
                    The Patriot league had 4 of 6 teams allow more than 160 rush yards/game.
                    Holy Cross did rush for 243 yards versus Merrimack. They ran for 253 yards against Yale. They ran for 326 yards against Bryant. They ONLY rush for 147 yards against Harvard.
                    Shelley, Miller, and Schuster are Valley QBs who concerned me, and the Jacks contained them reasonably well.

Sluka has better passing stats than all but Shelley (who had nearly 300 more passing yards sans playoff games Sluka's "padding stats" with). The primary pregame question I have is the extent to which the caliber of Holy Cross's opponents/their league influences their players' stats, and fortunately we'll be able to witness the Jacks determining that on Sat.

The Crusaders' win against bowl-bound Buffalo has been mentioned as evidence they, particularly their offense, can compete against "stronger" teams, but Buffalo has an average MAC defense, and they're a .500 team.

I expect the Jacks to be disciplined, contain Sluka, and force at least a pair of turnovers and win by at least two TDs.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

Shelley, Miller, and Schuster are Valley QBs who concerned me, and the Jacks contained them reasonably well.

Sluka has better passing stats than all but Shelley (who had nearly 300 more passing yards sans playoff games Sluka's "padding stats" with). The primary pregame question I have is the extent to which the caliber of Holy Cross's opponents/their league influences their players' stats, and fortunately we'll be able to witness the Jacks determining that on Sat.

The Crusaders' win against bowl-bound Buffalo has been mentioned as evidence they, particularly their offense, can compete against "stronger" teams, but Buffalo has an average MAC defense, and they're a .500 team.

I expect the Jacks to be disciplined, contain Sluka, and force at least a pair of turnovers and win by at least two TDs.
                      I think MO st might be a good comparison to HC athletic QB, we will see if HC Oline is any better than MO St's. I'm just excited for Saturday can't wait to ring my old cowbell till my arm is sore. Oh crap its only Thurdsay
                      Go Big Go Blue ..... Go Jacks

Comment

I wanted to be done with this too... but a short KELO article posted last night says alleged Lofton incident was on June 22, with charges filed on Sept 22... Why on earth was it Dec 6th before any action occurred? This whole thing feels very odd...

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
                          Gross was breaking into cars. He was charged with a felony along with other charges. Iowa was probably right to dismiss him.

To Seth's credit he kept his nose clean while he was here. It's likely that the Iowa incident was totally out of character and just an incredibly stupid decision.

I suspect this incident with Lofton is the same.

Comment

Originally posted by RahRahRabbits View Post
                            I wanted to be done with this too... but a short KELO article posted last night says alleged Lofton incident was on June 22, with charges filed on Sept 22... Why on earth was it Dec 6th before any action occurred? This whole thing feels very odd...
                            When you don't take any action and just think things will go away, charges become a warrant, and a warrant becomes an arrest. What's that saying..."Play stupid games...win stupid prizes..."

"Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

I scored a west side aisle seat on the 30 yard line for $25. There are plenty more. 30+ degrees with a light wind will be no problem. Get to this game!

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                                I scored a west side aisle seat on the 30 yard line for $25. There are plenty more. 30+ degrees with a light wind will be no problem. Get to this game!
                                Best advice for a fun Saturday of football! The last game reinforced that the cold-weather playoff crowds, while fewer in number compared to regular-season crowds, are some of the best. Lots of hilarious comments and yelling. I have four seats and they'll all be filled.

The weather prediction has slipped a little as Saturday approaches but today's advance prediction of Saturday's weather -- 32 and partly cloudy -- should be accurate. That's nice weather for this time of year.. I hope we hit 8,000 (this team deserves the support of twice that number).

Comment

Working...
                                X