No announcement yet.

GDT: @ South Dakota

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am ready to put this one to bed and watch some basketball today. However, the replay of Chris's pass keeps eating at me. Could the referee really see, indisputably, when the ball hit the ground to know to add a second back on to the clock?
    One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

• Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
      I am ready to put this one to bed and watch some basketball today. However, the replay of Chris's pass keeps eating at me. Could the referee really see, indisputably, when the ball hit the ground to know to add a second back on to the clock?
      He threw it into the Jacks fan section on east side, and it was several rows up. I understand not wanting to risk it being intercepted, but it might've been less open to interpretation if he'd heaved it into endzone where they'd be more likely to see when/where it'd hit

Comment

• Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
        I am ready to put this one to bed and watch some basketball today. However, the replay of Chris's pass keeps eating at me. Could the referee really see, indisputably, when the ball hit the ground to know to add a second back on to the clock?
        There’s no way they could make this determination accurately. Oladokun threw it like 20 rows up into the crowd. At what point does the clock stop? And on replay, the camera angles in the Dome are awful, especially at that end. How they could determine that with INDISPUTABLE evidence is beyond me.

Comment

• Originally posted by YanktonJack7 View Post

There’s no way they could make this determination accurately. Oladokun threw it like 20 rows up into the crowd. At what point does the clock stop? And on replay, the camera angles in the Dome are awful, especially at that end. How they could determine that with INDISPUTABLE evidence is beyond me.
          Did they need indisputable evidence?

Technically, they never made a call that time had expired that was being challenged/potentially overturned, so they were essentially looking for evidence of how much time potentially remained.

I'm not saying they made the correct call, just that the standard wasn't "indisputable evidence." Rather, it was like any sequence where they'd review to determine how to adjust the game clock

Comment

• What a total fluke of an ending. Several iffy things broke in the Coyotes' favor, most notably the second the officials put back on the clock and that the pass appeared to be tipped by three Jacks before before bouncing into the arms one of the USD receivers. It was a heartbreaking loss, for sure. I have two football-related wishes for the near future: One, that the Jacks beat UND and do, in fact, make the playoffs. Two, that Jacks get to play the Coyotes again in the playoffs.
            This space for lease.

Comment

I watched the play live as a much less biased Bison fan. First, the play is dead when the ball is clearly uncatchable, not when it hits the ground/fans. Further, it was clearly headed into the crowd right around the 1-2 second mark. It was pretty clear. Just my 2 cents. I was kind of shocked the home town clock operator had been so slow to stop the clock.....

Comment

• [QUOTE=Jacked_Up;n518509]What a total fluke of an ending. Several iffy things broke in the Coyotes' favor, most notably the second the officials put back on the clock and that the pass appeared to be tipped by three Jacks before before bouncing into the arms one of the USD receivers. It was a heartbreaking loss, for sure. I have two football-related wishes for the near future: One, that the Jacks beat UND and do, in fact, make the playoffs. Two, that Jacks get to play the Coyotes again in the playoffs.[/QUOTE]

This was one of my thoughts on the drive back to Sioux Falls. Unfortunately, it being a Jacks home game would require me to violate one of my life tenets -- never rooting for the Bison

Comment

• [QUOTE=jakejc795;n518511]
                  Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                  What a total fluke of an ending. Several iffy things broke in the Coyotes' favor, most notably the second the officials put back on the clock and that the pass appeared to be tipped by three Jacks before before bouncing into the arms one of the USD receivers. It was a heartbreaking loss, for sure. I have two football-related wishes for the near future: One, that the Jacks beat UND and do, in fact, make the playoffs. Two, that Jacks get to play the Coyotes again in the playoffs.[/QUOTE]

This was one of my thoughts on the drive back to Sioux Falls. Unfortunately, it being a Jacks home game would require me to violate one of my life tenets -- never rooting for the Bison
                  I’m hoping for this too. My guess is they won’t do rematches in the first round. So I could see USD-SIU with the winner going to Fargo and SDSU-Missouri State in the first round potentially since they didn’t play in the regular season. I would be a little surprised if USD won the bid for any home games with their dismal non-SDSU attendance.

But I wouldn’t mind a USD-SDSU game later on too
                  Last edited by YanktonJack7; 11-14-2021, 12:31 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

That's one reason I can't pin this all on coaching. The chances of DBs being coached to deflect the ball upward in a situation like that is nil

Related question -- what contributed to a player (Webb) who'd had three receptions all season gaining 153yds receiving this game. That suggests a failure to adjust secondary coverages, personnel mismatches (which will hopefully be addressed via recruiting), and/or depth issues (again, which I'd hope Jacks address via recruiting, transfer portal, etc.)
                    The DB's have been the most disappointing position group for me. Thought safety play would be a strength with two veteran starters returning, but to be honest, it has been better with Reeder and Norblade playing more. And the corners other than Gardner line up too far off the ball to suit me.

Comment

• they should be instructed to bat balls down to the ground or catch it, NOT up in those situations, what makes this so unbelievable was there were 6 Jackrabbits and two Yotes who could of caught it, or in the case of the Jackrabbits , betted it down to the ground, instead it was tipped up to stay alive by 2 of our guys, and just perfectly to a Yote, maybe we are jinxed playing against the Yotes, as a former poster alluded to.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post

The DB's have been the most disappointing position group for me. Thought safety play would be a strength with two veteran starters returning, but to be honest, it has been better with Reeder and Norblade playing more. And the corners other than Gardner line up too far off the ball to suit me.
                        This would be a topic I'd love to have media ask coaches about, because part of me wonders if that alignment is due, at least partially, to their lack of experience

Comment

• Let's call timeouts to get the ball back at the end of the first half and then run a 5 yard out to a TE, run the ball up the middle and then throw a short pass to not get a first down
                          I know it wasn't the coaches fault Strong ran out of bounds but if you want to score, you should call different plays.

Comment

• I thought it was odd they didnt run around more to burn more clock. If you going to give them a chance like we did, i find it inexcusable that we didnt have 3 tightends on the goal line for the hailmary. What is a 5'9 db going to do. Why not a 6'7 TE. Watching at home, i thought, if you want to win go for it and get first down, if you want to play it safe put it out of bounds aiming for the 10 yard line. If you want to to risk running time out you run strong around backfield to eat up all the time. Basically the play we ran was the last option i would have thought of.
                            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

• Originally posted by goon View Post
                              I thought it was odd they didnt run around more to burn more clock. If you going to give them a chance like we did, i find it inexcusable that we didnt have 3 tightends on the goal line for the hailmary. What is a 5'9 db going to do. Why not a 6'7 TE. Watching at home, i thought, if you want to win go for it and get first down, if you want to play it safe put it out of bounds aiming for the 10 yard line. If you want to to risk running time out you run strong around backfield to eat up all the time. Basically the play we ran was the last option i would have thought of.
                              Especially since they had nearly the same exact scenario 4 years ago, up by 3, and had Christion run around and lose yards to burn the clock. They do that this year USD would not have even had a chance. Or since they were gaining 3 yards per play on the ground in the last series, just go for it instead! Just mind boggling stuff! Do what worked for you in 2017 against Streveler.

I 100% agree on having Heinz/Kraft back at the goal line. Why we left the normal defense out there I will not understand. The coaching errors on both sides of the ball in the last 2 minutes were remarkable.

Comment

Especially since they had nearly the same exact scenario 4 years ago, up by 3, and had Christion run around and lose yards to burn the clock. They do that this year USD would not have even had a chance. Or since they were gaining 3 yards per play on the ground in the last series, just go for it instead! Just mind boggling stuff! Do what worked for you in 2017 against Streveler.

I 100% agree on having Heinz/Kraft back at the goal line. Why we left the normal defense out there I will not understand. The coaching errors on both sides of the ball in the last 2 minutes were remarkable.

I think my problem was they were trying to run the clock down. and not get a first down. get a first down and the game is over. I actually had the thought to have kraft back there taking a direct snap and put in tight ends as extra blockers. Run it on first down. Try again on 2nd, and basically do the Tebow, act like your running into the pile as Hienz breaks off the end for a lob throw. I know you don't want to throw it and miss to stop the clock. but you know USD would sell out to stop the run. If we show power run, they will adjust to run defense. Kraft wouldn't have to throw it is Hienz wasn't open. It just seems like running the wildcat with Kraft could easily pull off a play like that.

I also thought that too, why didn't we just throw a hail mary. could have taken as much or more time to run as the chucking out of bounds, but you aybe make the catch, or get a pass interference call, so very little to lose trying it.
                                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
                                X