GDT: @ South Dakota

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by YanktonJack7 View Post
    The Jacks had this same situation against Streveler and USD in 2017. Christion ran way back and lost about 30 yards and ran the clock out. Could Oladokun have done it and run the clock out? Could Rudy Voss?

This team should be 9-1 but now have to win just to play Thanksgiving weekend. Yuck
    And I will be gone as every other Thanksgiving weekend.
    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

The Jacks had this same situation against Streveler and USD in 2017. Christion ran way back and lost about 30 yards and ran the clock out. Could Oladokun have done it and run the clock out? Could Rudy Voss?

This team should be 9-1 but now have to win just to play Thanksgiving weekend. Yuck
      The 'Yotes had burned all of their timeouts a couple minutes before Christion's three rushes for a combined loss of 43yds (16 yds w/35 secs elapsed; 10yds w/46 secs elapsed, and 17yds w/50 secs elapsed) in 2017.

Unfortunately, the 'Yotes had preserved their timeouts for use inside 2mins remaining this time

Comment

I really need to stop but I just looked and in 2017 the Jacks were up 3 with 2:11 on the clock. USD had no timeouts. Christion ran around on the first 3 plays burning a ton of extra time. WHY didn’t we just do that instead? If we dance around on 3 plays instead of straight runs, I would bet my house that 8 extra seconds would have come off the clock. Ultimately coaching disaster from Stig and Eck on down.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

The 'Yotes had burned all of their timeouts a couple minutes before Christion's three rushes for a combined loss of 43yds (16 yds w/35 secs elapsed; 10yds w/46 secs elapsed, and 17yds w/50 secs elapsed) in 2017.

Unfortunately, the 'Yotes had preserved their timeouts for use inside 2mins remaining this time
          We had a first and 10 today with, what, 1:50 left, and USD had one timeout. If we dance around on those two plays they couldn’t call timeout I think the clock runs out after Oladokun would throw it away on 4th down. There for sure wouldn’t be 8 seconds left then. Just ultimate coaching error and that came from Eck with the offensive play calls.

Very puzzling. Do what worked in 2017!!!!!!

Comment

For all the folks that thought we were gonna blow USD out...a few of us knew better. This team has the mental toughness of a middle school squad. Refs sucked, coaching did too. All I can say is this better motivate us to kick some ass, instead of play with our heads up our butts. Yotes got a gift. Pound the nameless Sioux, for the love of God.
            "Cheer the team from South Dakota with loyal hearts so true!"

Comment

We had a first and 10 today with, what, 1:50 left, and USD had one timeout. If we dance around on those two plays they couldn’t call timeout I think the clock runs out after Oladokun would throw it away on 4th down. There for sure wouldn’t be 8 seconds left then. Just ultimate coaching error and that came from Eck with the offensive play calls.

Very puzzling. Do what worked in 2017!!!!!!
              A similar sequence to burn time from the point the 'Yotes had one timeout may have been possible if Janke's first down with 1:47 left hadn't also resulted in him going out of bounds (essentially giving the 'Yotes another timeout); however, if you opt for running plays to lose yardage there, you're doing so from the Jacks' 32, whereas the Christion drive started from the Jacks' 47.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

A similar sequence to burn time from the point the 'Yotes had one timeout may have been possible if Janke's first down with 1:47 left hadn't also resulted in him going out of bounds (essentially giving the 'Yotes another timeout); however, if you opt for running plays to lose yardage there, you're doing so from the Jacks' 32, whereas the Christion drive started from the Jacks' 47.
                I get what you are saying. Looking through the play by play, USD called their final timeout with 1:39 left after a 3 yard Strong run at the USD 49. If instead they dance around and lose 10 yards or whatever, there’s definitely less than 1:39 left. Now repeat that two more times and the clock may have run out without even running a 4th down snap. I’m blaming Stig but also Eck for those play calls. Now if they are really trying to get the first down then GO FOR IT and get 1 freaking yard. Play to win instead of trying not to lose. Running that call on 4th down when Stig said it usually takes 8-9 seconds in practice is too risky in a game that meant so much.

My SDSU buddies and myself are in a long group text and can’t believe the coaching blunders.

Comment

I get what you are saying. Looking through the play by play, USD called their final timeout with 1:39 left after a 3 yard Strong run at the USD 49. If instead they dance around and lose 10 yards or whatever, there’s definitely less than 1:39 left. Now repeat that two more times and the clock may have run out without even running a 4th down snap. I’m blaming Stig but also Eck for those play calls. Now if they are really trying to get the first down then GO FOR IT and get 1 freaking yard. Play to win instead of trying not to lose. Running that call on 4th down when Stig said it usually takes 8-9 seconds in practice is too risky in a game that meant so much.

My SDSU buddies and myself are in a long group text and can’t believe the coaching blunders.
                  I'm not saying the coaching decisions weren't questionable, but Strong and Kraft had both fumbled earlier in the 4th quarter, so hesitation to run for losses just inside 'Yote territory when USD would likely sell out against the run is somewhat understandable. Sure, you can have the carrier down it just before the defender gets to him, but that further limits the time you'd burn from the clock.

I also think this counterfactual limits examining lapses in the secondary throughout this season that've contributed to penalties and long gains leading to Jacks' losses. My concern there is whether those deficiencies are primarily due to coaching or player attributes

Comment

This team is dumb

Comment

• If you don't trust your max protect punt team to get a quick kick off you should find a different profession. His post game interview was telling. He knows he f'd up...and so do the players.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

"Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

• Rants and Raves are ready to go. Never fun to write after a loss and I'm lucky I haven't had to do that too often. Here's hoping the Jacks can learn from it and #RunTheTable! #GoJacks

https://jackrabbitillustrated.com/20...ves-usd-2.html
                        Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

• Three Jacks were in great position to defend the Hail Mary. What are the odds that all three would touch the ball and keep the play alive by deflecting the ball up and towards the end zone ? Unfortunately, greater than zero. If just one had knocked the ball down and/or away from the end zone, we would all be in a much better mood today.

Comment

• Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
                            Rants and Raves are ready to go. Never fun to write after a loss and I'm lucky I haven't had to do that too often. Here's hoping the Jacks can learn from it and #RunTheTable! #GoJacks

https://jackrabbitillustrated.com/20...ves-usd-2.html
                            Your "Rants & Raves" are among my most favorite columns you write, and I guess I've never perceived a fair weather tone.

Nonetheless,​​​​ a member of your blog "team" exhibited similar behavior to what you've described experiencing (implying that he was superior and I was the "worst") when I questioned the reasoning of one of his hyperbolic posts, so I hope you're not suffering guilt by association for some of his rhetoric; unfortunately, that's the nature of some folks' social media " brand."

The forecast among some "fair weather" fans is that they'll have negative posts about Stig after a loss like he's the main reason we'll "never win a Natty" in the very year the Jacks almost won one

This season has been derailed at times by injuries and lack of secondary depth and secondary play that resulted in penalties/long gains that allowed opponents to come back or maintain leads.

There have been questionable coaching decisions as well, but I struggle to say they're the primary factor in the losses. One of the conference "golden boys," (Nick Hill) had his own blunders during Jacks game (e.g., the point swing when he tried the Williams run that resulted in the fumble Lofton returned for a TD), so I'd ask who those who think Stig should be put out to pasture would replace him with, as I can almost guarantee that person has made questionable decisions in the past

Comment

• Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                              Three Jacks were in great position to defend the Hail Mary. What are the odds that all three would touch the ball and keep the play alive by deflecting the ball up and towards the end zone ? Unfortunately, greater than zero. If just one had knocked the ball down and/or away from the end zone, we would all be in a much better mood today.
                              That's one reason I can't pin this all on coaching. The chances of DBs being coached to deflect the ball upward in a situation like that is nil

Related question -- what contributed to a player (Webb) who'd had three receptions all season gaining 153yds receiving this game. That suggests a failure to adjust secondary coverages, personnel mismatches (which will hopefully be addressed via recruiting), and/or depth issues (again, which I'd hope Jacks address via recruiting, transfer portal, etc.)

Comment

• DB tackling = bumper cars- let me bounce off you and hope you fall down

I do not know if it was all coaching (either punt the ball so a hail mary doesn't beat you or teach them to tip the ball AWAY from the end zone) or not smart playing. Of course, if you throw the ball through the and zone, scramble a while longer or RUN OUTSIDE instead up the middle, you could have ran the clock out (not to mention possibly got a first down). Strong is NOT Davis. He is not great at running the ball up the middle when teams are expecting it!

Officiating was not great (like all season) but when you have better players you should play to win the game. How many passes were more than 20 yards down the field? Did you throw to the TE's enough?

Win next week and you are still in the playoffs but if you want to make it far in the playoffs you have to cut back on the penelties, quit turning the ball over and play SMART, but is that possible??????

Comment

Working...
                                X