GDT: Northern Iowa (Hobo Day)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
    I guess scripted or not the offensive playcalling seemed disjointed. Like it had no identity, almost as if rolling the dice and letting that be the playcall.

On a couple of the UNI deep throws we had 1-2 DBs there, they just had to turn around. The WR made a great catch. I’d say that on a lot of completions downfield this year. Are they not coached to turn, I never hear the sideline yell “Ball!”. The sideline does their best to get the crowd into it though.

Not a fan of this scrambled backfield “shell game” plays they run either. Sometime it’s going to bite us in the behind.

Played a lot of young guys yesterday and there’s some hope. I don’t think the defense lost the game. The offense needs to find it’s rhythm. The Hogs had a rough day against arguably the best front they’ll see this year.

Need to recuperate, regroup and rebound.

Weston's height makes it hard to defend him on jump balls. He had to be 6" taller than Lofton and Gales. If the QB makes the throw that requires Weston to high-point the catch, it's almost impossible to defend without interfering.

Comment

Jacks need to beat NDSU or USD to be securely in the playoffs. That D2 win really hurts. Lose both those games and they are 7-4 with a D2 and FBS win. Hard to believe we are at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post

Weston's height makes it hard to defend him on jump balls. He had to be 6" taller than Lofton and Gales. If the QB makes the throw that requires Weston to high-point the catch, it's almost impossible to defend without interfering.
        The height difference was there. There were also 2 defensive backs trying to cover the same receiver from the backside. They were already beat when there was not a back in front of the receiver when it was a double team.
        Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Took a couple days to get my frustration in check after this debacle of a football game, trying to not be too negative here. The magic from last season absolutely feels like it's gone... When the Jacks were down by 13 against SIU last spring in the playoffs, it still felt like it was still our game. No matter where we were in the game, it felt like Gronowski could make a play if he had the ball in his hands. Hopefully that was the case and we'll get that back next year and wasn't just some romanticized version of what happened in my head from a special season. Saturday's game on the other hand, was frustrating and felt almost hopeless. Doesn't help to turn the ball over 5 plays into the game either I suppose. As many of you have pointed out... it seemed early this season like we had the perfect answer with Oladokun, but that ship seems to have sailed by week 3.

Outside of Davis, most of our slew of injuries have been on the defensive side of the ball. While there were plenty of blown coverages, the defense ultimately kept us in this game. Almost every aspect of the offense is a huge disappointment right now... most dominant O-line in the FCS last year now look like high school replacements, leading to run game being completely stifled... then when we do go to the pass game... receivers dropping easy catches and Oladokun overthrowing every deep ball by 5 yards... Questionable stale play calling, and for cryin' out loud... questionable time out calling again leading to a bad point swing for the Jacks:

https://www.thegazette.com/panther-football/uni-football-upsets-no-6-south-dakota-state-in-best-performance-of-the-season/
          “I planned to punt it,” Farley said. “When (SDSU) called the timeout it gave me time to reconsider, basically, what was going on. With the wind and the hash that we were on it appeared to me to be right, but I’m going to give full credit to (Cook) because before the game even started, he comes up to me and tells me about what the wind issue is on both ends and he had told me on that end he could get more leg.”

The entire team seems disorganized and sloppy. Yet again, more yards lost on a stupid personal foul. We even got lucky on several dropped passes on their side too- when, once again, our defensive backs were 5 yards away from their receiver. When we were in good position, they never turn their heads to look for the ball...
          Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
          On a couple of the UNI deep throws we had 1-2 DBs there, they just had to turn around. The WR made a great catch. I’d say that on a lot of completions downfield this year. Are they not coached to turn, I never hear the sideline yell “Ball!”. The sideline does their best to get the crowd into it though.
          I don't have any insight for Jackedforlife... what would be the reason for not turning around? Trying to avoid becoming off-balance or tripping up, leading to a PI call? Seems the rate the opposing receivers are catching the ball would make a couple potential PI calls worth it again.

Refs weren't the deciding aspect of the game... UNI absolutely outplayed and out-muscled the Jacks. There were the usual questionable calls and non-calls that are expected. I do stand by my opinion that the blindside block penalty added in 2019 is my least favorite section in the rule book. Don't penalize a defender making a good clean hit on a front-side of a guy that can't be bothered to have his head on a swivel and see the entire field of play. I get that injuries can happen, and heads can snap around on a big hit... but this is football after all, and is an inherently violent game. I have been looking for a video of the play in question, but in my recollection, it wasn't an overly-aggressive hit. I know the refs want them to perform a basketball-style moving screen on the defender instead... but good grief... it's football! The entire crowd was just itching for a play to cheer for (had been all day)... a play to give any semblance of momentum to the home team... a play to potentially change the game... just stinks when it does finally happen, the refs call it back for something like that.

On the way to Youngstown next week... another team that has potential to stick around and potentially be victorious if the cards fall right. They did knock off Missouri State a couple weeks ago. After that... NDSU, USD, and UND come to town. After this showing, none of those are locks either. We're now fighting for our lives to even make the playoffs at this point.

FWIW, we now fall to 7-5 in Hobo Day games since 2009, and 1-3 against UNI on the big day (7-11 total against UNI since '06). I second the motion to separate Hobo Day and football somehow.

After all that, somehow we were still sorta in the game at the end. Frahm's 2nd FG goes in, or they miss one of their four, then we're one big play going our way from a W. Here's to hoping this team can actually regroup and come together... catch some passes... and stop making stupid mistakes. Returning a few key starters from injuries is apparently paramount. Gotta find that rhythm again. I'm currently worried about even making the playoffs, and don't have much faith in making a deep run if they do sneak in... hopefully the Jacks can change my mind again over the next 4 weeks and bring back that magic.

Go Jacks!

Comment

What a disappointing performance in nearly every phase of the game. I was trying to think of a positive from the game and I don't know that I could muster one up.....maybe Graham Spalding flying around? Maybe tight end play?

Offense:
            • OL has got to be better, but Chris O has got to see that pass rush from his right side.
            • Unfortunately, we do not have a WR that can consistently be a true WR1/play maker type. Don't get me wrong, we have solid pass catchers, but compared to the rest of the conference, we do not have that guy where in a tight game/situation we can count on to make a play.
            • The drops need to stop.
            • In reference to making plays, Chris O has got to give the receivers a chance with the deep ball. If we are going to continue to fizzle out in the red zone, big plays are needed, because our kicking game is underwhelming.
            Defense:
            • I feel like the defense stepped up with the exception of a couple big chunk plays. Someone smarter than me should explain as to why our DBs are consistently chasing the WRs when we are in a base defense and have 7 pass defenders? Is it the scheme where we put a lot of pressure on our CBs to cover 1v1? Not just this game, but it seems like if we are going to put this much pressure on the CBs, we need to get a better pass rush. Feels like we are losing in the trenches both ways right now which is what we were hoping we would hang our hat on.
            • Was Stalbird out with an injury or discipline reasons? He was in for a couple plays, missed assignment on Westons TD, and then didn't see him the rest of the game.
            The MVFC refs are rotten, I don't have any faith in their ability to get on field or replay calls correct. That crackback block call on Heins was almost not believable.

Coaching has got to be better, we got outcoached badly. And the timeout at the end of 1Q, that makes no sense. If they punt there and don't try that FG, I am not sure they would have tried the 55 yder later in the game either.

Ideally, we would win out and get a top 8 seed, but it is looking more likely that we make the playoffs unseeded and will play Missouri St first round and I don't feel good about that right now. Or of course, if we keep losing in the trenches and don't clean up some flaws, we could be watching the playoffs from home.

Get back on track this week by finding an identity and let's get some guys healthy for the stretch run.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks View Post
              What a disappointing performance in nearly every phase of the game. I was trying to think of a positive from the game and I don't know that I could muster one up.....maybe Graham Spalding flying around? Maybe tight end play?

Offense:
              • OL has got to be better, but Chris O has got to see that pass rush from his right side.
              • Unfortunately, we do not have a WR that can consistently be a true WR1/play maker type. Don't get me wrong, we have solid pass catchers, but compared to the rest of the conference, we do not have that guy where in a tight game/situation we can count on to make a play.
              • The drops need to stop.
              • In reference to making plays, Chris O has got to give the receivers a chance with the deep ball. If we are going to continue to fizzle out in the red zone, big plays are needed, because our kicking game is underwhelming.
              Defense:
              • I feel like the defense stepped up with the exception of a couple big chunk plays. Someone smarter than me should explain as to why our DBs are consistently chasing the WRs when we are in a base defense and have 7 pass defenders? Is it the scheme where we put a lot of pressure on our CBs to cover 1v1? Not just this game, but it seems like if we are going to put this much pressure on the CBs, we need to get a better pass rush. Feels like we are losing in the trenches both ways right now which is what we were hoping we would hang our hat on.
              • Was Stalbird out with an injury or discipline reasons? He was in for a couple plays, missed assignment on Westons TD, and then didn't see him the rest of the game.
              The MVFC refs are rotten, I don't have any faith in their ability to get on field or replay calls correct. That crackback block call on Heins was almost not believable.

Coaching has got to be better, we got outcoached badly. And the timeout at the end of 1Q, that makes no sense. If they punt there and don't try that FG, I am not sure they would have tried the 55 yder later in the game either.

Ideally, we would win out and get a top 8 seed, but it is looking more likely that we make the playoffs unseeded and will play Missouri St first round and I don't feel good about that right now. Or of course, if we keep losing in the trenches and don't clean up some flaws, we could be watching the playoffs from home.

Get back on track this week by finding an identity and let's get some guys healthy for the stretch run.
              I agree that Chris needs to play better than he has the last couple of games, but I also thing it's not realistic to think that he could play an entire season at the level he played the first 4 games. And if our receivers would have caught even half of those dozen or so drops, his stats and maybe the outcome of the game might have been entirely different. And even great QB's have bad stretches. I've watched the last two Chiefs games, and even Pat Mahomes has looked like a hot mess. As long as the future game situations don't require Chris to put the ball in the air 55 times, he will be just fine.

Comment

I'm just here to officially declare the bubble screen as our programs new swing pass. I don't think it has fooled a Valley team yet this season.

Comment

I think the biggest issue is the O Line. They need to play better ASAP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

As disappointing as the last 3 weeks have been just about everything this team had set out to do this year they can still accomplish. Top 2 seed is out the window but a top 8 is still very achievable. Hopefully Davis Gardner and Backhaus are back soon. They need to take a step back and regroup. The Oline needs to get their nasty streak back and start pushing people around again. These next 4 weeks will be tough but if they win out they will be a top 8 seed and get a much needed bye week. Once you get into the playoffs anything can happen.

Comment

On the radio show tonight, Landon Wolf says he wants to come back next year and that they have submitted his medical redshirt application to the MVFC and NCAA. That would be huge if him and Gronowski could be back next Fall.

Comment

Originally posted by YanktonJack7 View Post
                        On the radio show tonight, Landon Wolf says he wants to come back next year and that they have submitted his medical redshirt application to the MVFC and NCAA. That would be huge if him and Gronowski could be back next Fall.
                        I hope it works out for him. He deserves it.

Comment

Could have used his talents on Saturday. Some big drops. But also other miscues that hurt us. Really UNI was just more physical throughout the game. They knew what they needed to do and simply did a better job of doing it. Eh the Jacks look deflated.

Comment

Originally posted by YanktonJack7 View Post
                            Zimmer's recent article reiterates this as well

Comment

Working...
                            X