No announcement yet.

Thoughts about moving up to FBS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reports: Jacksonville State could soon join Conference USA, begin move to FBS

https://www.wbrc.com/2021/11/02/repo...a-move-up-fbs/

Seriously guys, these teams will be replaced with the Dixie State, St Thomas, Augustana and Dakota States of the world. That's our future.

Imagine if we were playing the Dakota Marker game, both undefeated, and the winner has the fast track to go to the New Orleans Bowl on a prime time Saturday Night game on ESPN? Or if the Conference USA Championship game was held in Fargo or Brookings vs Sam Houston on National TV?

Comment

Originally posted by gabe01 View Post
      Reports: Jacksonville State could soon join Conference USA, begin move to FBS

https://www.wbrc.com/2021/11/02/repo...a-move-up-fbs/

Seriously guys, these teams will be replaced with the Dixie State, St Thomas, Augustana and Dakota States of the world. That's our future.

Imagine if we were playing the Dakota Marker game, both undefeated, and the winner has the fast track to go to the New Orleans Bowl on a prime time Saturday Night game on ESPN? Or if the Conference USA Championship game was held in Fargo or Brookings vs Sam Houston on National TV?
      Who knew the Trojans would make the Tomcats' DII to DI move look paltry by comparison.

CUSA is/was reportedly considering adding Tarleton State, and possibly McNeese State. When the "future" is discussed, and you were dismissive of two already transitioning FCS schools (the Tomcats & Trailblazers), shouldn't we also question the viability of a conference pursuing a similar school in Tarleton State?

Also, as much as some Jacks fans want to tie our subdivision moves to NDSU's, we might want to consider that teams like Missouri State may be more attractive to FBS conferences given geographic and TV market advantages.

Comment

DSU can't even move to DII, much less FCS. Great school, and they have made strides in their growth as a University, but that's not going to happen.

As I said before... the only time to move up, is if and/or when the Power 5 go their own way.

Comment

Folks, SDSU needs to be looking at this. It is time for NDSU and SDSU to band together again and get a football only invite. I am very, very worried that whatever happens with the NCAA changes Filbert is getting at, if you are not already in the G5, you are going to get left behind. As already mentioned, NDSU and SDSU's peers were never in D2 (both should have gone 1AA back in the late 70's), and now they are not in FCS other that say Montana/Montana St and maybe some of the CAA schools. You guys have done a great job on facilities, and you can compete; we all know that. On top of that, I am so sick and tired of SDSU grads ignoring their team and thinking the Huskers are more important. (It really, really grates on me for some reason even though a NDSU alum; I'm like you dummy, you have a great program at your alma matter who could give the Huskers a solid game, and you are too blind to see it.) Even after Zenner almost beat them, they still did not understand.

It is time to work together again and move, or risk being left in an empty shell with 1-2 competitive games a year against each other. You are probably near your end getting FBS games at this point......see what happened to NDSU.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

What are you basing that statement on?

The Jacks have competed with teams like Missouri State, UNI, NDSU, Nebraska, Minnesota, Iowa, and Iowa State for recruits. None of those teams have changed subdivisions (and neither have JMU or SHSU, who are/are rumored to be on the move to FBS)
            Appalachian State (2014), Georgia Southern (2014), Coastal Carolina (2017), Liberty (2018). All had success at FCS and now in FBS. Now JMU and Sam Houston who we have met in the playoffs are apparently moving up along with Jacksonville State.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post

I think the criterion isn't necessarily just population of the city where the university is, it's population within say 50 miles (an easy hour's drive). Almost all of Sioux Falls is just beyond that 50 mile radius for SDSU.
              I think it's difficult to indicate a specific distance for potential fan base. An easy hours drive in South Dakota is much different than a more populated area. People from more rural areas are also more inclined to drive long distances, even if just for a day trip. If we say 65 mile radius (probably still an easy hour drive in South Dakota) all of Sioux Falls is included.

If we look at closest university to each county our footprint extends much further west than the other directions. Obviously there are other cultural and geographical features other than distance that would dictate a fan's interest in a program.

Here's a map sketch showing closest counties to each DI university in our region: https://ibb.co/hVXMsW7

Comment

I have an ugly feeling that this time next year we may be back in Div II, figuratively speaking. Sadly I don’t know that we have a choice, I don’t know that we have the money for FBS football, even if there was a willingness

Comment

Let's say we decide to go FBS. Is there any figure out there as far as the cost? Would we have to upgrade any facilities? How many scholarships, mens and womens? Do we have to add any additional womens sports to make it work as far as title IX goes? Probably some increased travel costs depending on how it all works out and who moves up together.
                  One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Move the entire Valley up to FBS!

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post

Appalachian State (2014), Georgia Southern (2014), Coastal Carolina (2017), Liberty (2018). All had success at FCS and now in FBS. Now JMU and Sam Houston who we have met in the playoffs are apparently moving up along with Jacksonville State.
                      Those schools have regional proximity to FBS conferences they ascended to/are rumored to be invited to. The Jacks, and even the Bison, lack that.

Comment

Originally posted by sdsurulz08 View Post
                        Move the entire Valley up to FBS!
                        Planning to replace WIU and Sycamores with 'Cats & Grizz?

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
                          Let's say we decide to go FBS. Is there any figure out there as far as the cost? Would we have to upgrade any facilities? How many scholarships, mens and womens? Do we have to add any additional womens sports to make it work as far as title IX goes? Probably some increased travel costs depending on how it all works out and who moves up together.
                          Articles like this give some idea of such considerations.

Comment

We aren’t going FBS. Stig said today he doesn’t even think it would be a good idea for SDSU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by salemjack View Post
                              We aren’t going FBS. Stig said today he doesn’t even think it would be a good idea for SDSU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              It'd make sense for him, and even Justin Sell, to say that now, if only to attempt to extract incentives from conference(s) that may invite them.

Nevertheless, it's likely no secret that I'd agree

Comment

Originally posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
                                ,On top of that, I am so sick and tired of SDSU grads ignoring their team and thinking the Huskers are more important. (It really, really grates on me for some reason even though a NDSU alum; I'm like you dummy, you have a great program at your alma matter who could give the Huskers a solid game, and you are too blind to see it.) .
                                I know so many of these people. Obsession with what has become a very mediocre Nebraska program is a huge roadblock keeping SDSU fandom from going to the next level. I’ll always wonder what would have happened if covid did not cancel that 2020 game in Lincoln.

Comment

Working...
                                X