Playoff Hosting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

My rationale for linking to the article was to hopefully dispel any angst about Jacks' potential lost opportunity to host on 5/8. The Argus article made it pretty clear that will not be the case, as I trust many of us suspected from the beginning

As for the Bison comparison, I'd advocate forgoing that until Fall, as their attendance last week wasn't much better than Jacks', and intervening variables, such as fans still being leery of large crowds amid the pandemic and/or trying to recover from reduced/lost wages over the past year, likely compromise the validity of any Spring season comparison

I'd definitely say we should all do soul searching if Jacks win championship in a couple weeks and still struggle to attain 12-15k for every home game in Fall.
    I can appreciate all those reasons. Still think half a stadium full shouldn’t be an issue but I get it.

So, let’s just say that Jacks fans need to step up moving forward when things return to normal. If we want to be the best, it is really up to the fans now. We’ve sold out the Dana twice if my memory is correct. That is with a lot of help from the Sanford organizations. The traditionally top teams in either division sell out every week. Having tickets is a bog deal. That’s what is next. WE THE FANS have to create the atmosphere that kids line up to be a part of.

Can we do it?

SUPERBUNNY

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post

I can appreciate all those reasons. Still think half a stadium full shouldn’t be an issue but I get it.

So, let’s just say that Jacks fans need to step up moving forward when things return to normal. If we want to be the best, it is really up to the fans now. We’ve sold out the Dana twice if my memory is correct. That is with a lot of help from the Sanford organizations. The traditionally top teams in either division sell out every week. Having tickets is a bog deal. That’s what is next. WE THE FANS have to create the atmosphere that kids line up to be a part of.

Can we do it?

SUPERBUNNY
      Speaking of "intervening variables" I've questioned SDSU Athletics' seeming reluctance to adjust ticket prices, so I must acknowledge that they seem to have done so relative NDSU's playoff ticket rates.

I got midfield seats (on the east side) last week (and again this week) for 2/3 the price NDSU was reportedly charging.

Lastly, I am hoping the answer to your "can we do it" question is eventually yes; however, I'd propose that a few years averaging 15k isn't a failure, even if Jacks aren't selling out, provided attendance maintains an upward trajectory (which, unfortunately, hasn't been the case, as many of us already know)

Comment

Last week students streamed out of the stadium at half time.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
          Last week students streamed out of the stadium at half time.
          This seems to be an another area where Athletics and Admin creativity/innovation could be acknowledged, as they attempted raffles for student housing, bookstore credits, tuition, etc. in prior season

Hopefully, attempts were made to assess what other innovations can entice students to attend, and remain, at games

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

This seems to be an another area where Athletics and Admin creativity/innovation could be acknowledged, as they attempted raffles for student housing, bookstore credits, tuition, etc. in prior season

Hopefully, attempts were made to assess what other innovations can entice students to attend, and remain, at games
            At the end of the day you are passionate about being a spectator of Jackrabbit sports or your not. These other marketing ploys are a waste of time in my opinion.
            Last edited by JACKGUYII; 04-30-2021, 08:53 AM.

Comment

At the end of the day you are passionate about being a spectator of Jackrabbit sports or your not. These other marketing ploys are a waste of time in my opinion.
              I agree with this but I do I think they could do more marketing on the radio and stuff for big games. I think a very large portion of the jackrabbit fan base are what I would call passive fans or silent fans. Kind of like silent partners in a business they are part of the business but don’t do anything with it day to day. I know a lot of people that are jacks fans and that don’t have much desire to go to games. They are happy when they win and they will watch them when it is convenient but they won’t go out of their way to go to a game and are definitely not going to buy a ticket for game that is scheduled to kickoff at 8 pm on a Sunday night.

Comment

I'd say it's probably more important to market this spring than other times. I'm guessing there is a large number of "fans" that have no idea they are playing football right now.

Comment

I guess I tend to agree with this. If you are even a somewhat casual Jacks fan it would be hard to not know the playoffs are going on and the Jacks are hosting games. If you read a paper, watch the news, and are on any of the social media formats that are out there it would be almost impossible to miss.

The part that needs to change is getting people who are casual Jacks fans that will watch games at home into the stadium. Every person has their reason.

Come this fall, the Jacks will be one of the top ranked teams in FCS no matter how the rest of the playoffs turn out due to the players on our roster that are coming back and the new additions to the team. My hope is that this will spur on a huge increase in season ticket sales along with weekly tickets sales that add up to a lot more people in the stands. That should only get stronger if we win the whole thing this spring.

First things first, pound the Salukis this weekend and advance to the semis! Then we can do this whole thing again next week!

SUPERBUNNY
                  MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post

I guess I tend to agree with this. If you are even a somewhat casual Jacks fan it would be hard to not know the playoffs are going on and the Jacks are hosting games. If you read a paper, watch the news, and are on any of the social media formats that are out there it would be almost impossible to miss.

The part that needs to change is getting people who are casual Jacks fans that will watch games at home into the stadium. Every person has their reason.

Come this fall, the Jacks will be one of the top ranked teams in FCS no matter how the rest of the playoffs turn out due to the players on our roster that are coming back and the new additions to the team. My hope is that this will spur on a huge increase in season ticket sales along with weekly tickets sales that add up to a lot more people in the stands. That should only get stronger if we win the whole thing this spring.

First things first, pound the Salukis this weekend and advance to the semis! Then we can do this whole thing again next week!

SUPERBUNNY
                    Anything short of a Championship will not move the needle. Even that might not do much. I hope it will but I have my doubts.

Comment

• Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post

I think the actual topic is: How do we go about creating more passionate Jackrabbit sports fans? Being fatalistic about it is probably not the way.
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

• Trying to bribe or incent students or fans into the stadium hasn't and won't work.

Comment

• Biggest issue is the tailgate restrictions. Games are a social event and the game itself is just an excuse to go hang out with friends and family. With a very poor tailgate policy and atmosphere, attendance will continue to lag.

Look at NDSU, can't sell out half capacity in the Fargodome with no tailgating. Tailgating was a huge driver of the bison's expansion of its fanbase. They allow people to enjoy themselves.

Comment

• Originally posted by AZjack View Post
                            Biggest issue is the tailgate restrictions. Games are a social event and the game itself is just an excuse to go hang out with friends and family. With a very poor tailgate policy and atmosphere, attendance will continue to lag.

Look at NDSU, can't sell out half capacity in the Fargodome with no tailgating. Tailgating was a huge driver of the bison's expansion of its fanbase. They allow people to enjoy themselves.
                            Yep, do that and allow beer/wine sales in the whole stadium.

Comment

• Originally posted by filbert View Post

I think the actual topic is: How do we go about creating more passionate Jackrabbit sports fans? Being fatalistic about it is probably not the way.
                              Couldn't agree more, and hopefully Athletics/Admin tilt the ratio of any assessment more in the favor of casual/sporadic fans when exploring adaptations/promos rather than relying almost solely on diehard fans

Comment

• Originally posted by 98Jackfarmer View Post

Yep, do that and allow beer/wine sales in the whole stadium.
                                Research, such as this, has actually found an inverse relationship between alcohol sales and college sports attendance, and attendance has decreased in sports/venues (e..g, professional sports) where alcohol has been sold for decades (prior to pandemic impacts last year, of course).

Sure, some cite anecdotal evidence that "my friends, family, neighbor, etc. say they'd attend if beer was sold," and some indicate it'd generate revenue, but ancillary expenses, such as additional security and vendors, would reduce that, and there are fans who attend now who might not if beer were sold stadium wide, so it's hardly a panacea

Comment

Working...
                                X