No announcement yet.

Playoff Hosting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I suppose if we got the 7 PM game, it might be okay, but that would Abe a quick turnaround from 4 pm to 7. I looked at the ceremony website and it mentioned that every efffort will be made to have an outdoor ceremony and that contingency plans are in place of weather forces an indoor ceremony. But if it’s moved indoors, no families can be present. I’m not holding out hope that the administration will move it to frost and not let families in so that the game can be played.

If they can have a thousand or so people at basketball games all winter, they can have limited attendance for graduation indoors in May. This was poor planning on the university’s part and it may cost us the chance to host our first semi-final game. Just ridiculous if this holds true.

Comment

Move graduation to Sunday? But really, we need to get to that point first. We have to win 2 games then talk about it

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
        Move graduation to Sunday? But really, we need to get to that point first. We have towin 2 games then talk about it
        Looked like they're already having ceremonies on Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
          I suppose if we got the 7 PM game, it might be okay, but that would Abe a quick turnaround from 4 pm to 7. I looked at the ceremony website and it mentioned that every efffort will be made to have an outdoor ceremony and that contingency plans are in place of weather forces an indoor ceremony. But if it’s moved indoors, no families can be present. I’m not holding out hope that the administration will move it to frost and not let families in so that the game can be played.

If they can have a thousand or so people at basketball games all winter, they can have limited attendance for graduation indoors in May. This was poor planning on the university’s part and it may cost us the chance to host our first semi-final game. Just ridiculous if this holds true.
          Assuming the Delaware "insider's" information is accurate AND graduation would be the factor preventing the Jacks from hosting, the Jacks could still hold the Ag, Food and Environmental Science commencement at 10am at the Dana and have the Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences in a location like Sylvan Green or even a closed Medary Avenue with the bleachers used for the Hobo Day Parade. If Sylvan was good enough for Gameday, it's good enough for graduation.

Also, it's a tad premature to say SDSU exhibited poor planning based on a relatively obscure Blue Hen forum post. I suspect SDSU will ensure that a chance to host isn't squandered.

Comment

The poor planning part doesn’t have anything to do with the blue hens post. It has everything to do with the fact that they planned to have graduation outside at DJD when they’ve had fans in frost all year and knew that there could be a potential conflict in May since at least last fall. I would understand the thought process with the outdoor venue more if we hadn’t already had fans in frost, but it just seems like they didn’t even consider that there might be a need to use that stadium in May.

I think the easiest and best outcome, should the jacks advance, is hope for the 7PM game and then have the 4 PM ceremony for graduation moved up to 2. Everybody wins, and it isn’t a logistical nightmare to try to move locations for the ceremonies. Not sure how much power they have to request the late game, but otherwise something is going to have to give.

Comment

The poor planning part doesn’t have anything to do with the blue hens post. It has everything to do with the fact that they planned to have graduation outside at DJD when they’ve had fans in frost all year and knew that there could be a potential conflict in May since at least last fall. I would understand the thought process with the outdoor venue more if we hadn’t already had fans in frost, but it just seems like they didn’t even consider that there might be a need to use that stadium in May.

I think the easiest and best outcome, should the jacks advance, is hope for the 7PM game and then have the 4 PM ceremony for graduation moved up to 2. Everybody wins, and it isn’t a logistical nightmare to try to move locations for the ceremonies. Not sure how much power they have to request the late game, but otherwise something is going to have to give.
              You're assuming they don't have contingencies if the Jacks are slated to host a game, and it's likely the combined size of the graduating classes and audience would greatly exceed the number of fans allowed at Frost, hence the likely desire to have an outdoor ceremony.

At this point, I think much ado is being made out of what is likely to turn out to be nothing, unless you have inside information that Athletics and Admin don't have plans for alternate sites.

Lastly, if none of the outdoor options I've proposed will work, the SJAC could be an alternative that would allow improved social distancing options, better ventilation than Frost, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

You're assuming they don't have contingencies if the Jacks are slated to host a game, and it's likely the combined size of the graduating classes and audience would greatly exceed the number of fans allowed at Frost, hence the likely desire to have an outdoor ceremony.

At this point, I think much ado is being made out of what is likely to turn out to be nothing, unless you have inside information that Athletics and Admin don't have plans for alternate sites.

Lastly, if none of the outdoor options I've proposed will work, the SJAC could be an alternative that would allow improved social distancing options, better ventilation than Frost, etc.
                I thought about the SJAC too. It could work. And yes, this may be premature. And the fact that nothing has been said about it yet makes me think they must have a contingency in place. But if they don’t and we find out we are on the road for the semis, my previous comments will stand.

Comment

I thought about the SJAC too. It could work. And yes, this may be premature. And the fact that nothing has been said about it yet makes me think they must have a contingency in place. But if they don’t and we find out we are on the road for the semis, my previous comments will stand.
                  I guess I'd be interested in the logic of sending the top seed to play at Delaware, as the "Blue Henner" alluded to. Yes, I realize Newark was selected as a site, but it'd be ridiculous to send Jacks there

Comment

It seems the ol' Blue Henner's rumor mongering should be taken with hefty grain of Delaware Bay salt

Comment

Leave that stuff to the Athletic Department and the Administration to figure out. If they can't get it figured out then we don't deserve to host the semi.

Us fans should be worried about whether or not we get 10,000 people or whatever the max is into DJDS this weekend. It would be embarrassing if we don't!!

We want to run with the big dogs (NDSU) but if we can't fill half a stadium then we are a long ways off. Just looked at the tickets available on gojacks.com and there are a LOT of seats left. We're the number 1 seed and home throughout until the championship, we shouldn't have any problem filling the stadium if it was allowed. Right now, we aren't close to half. I know, I know, it is Sunday night. We all have to work on Monday. It will be cold at night. Add any other excuse right here.

If this game was in Fargo, they would fill it full if allowed. ESPN2 and a national audience, let's show them what Bison football is all about. They'd be there and be loud as hell. They use their sellout streak and atmosphere as a huge recruiting tool up north. Why wouldn't they? Hey, kid check out what every gameday is like here. If NDSU was coming to Brookings, the game would have been sold out by now and the stadium would be 50/50 blue and green. Think they would use that as a recruiting tool too? Damn straight!

Not sure what else the AD and University can do to create an atmosphere? We have an incredible university, the best stadium, and the best team. Do we have the best fans? The time is now for us to show that we do. Not only this week, but every week.

Isn't this what we all wanted? To be a top team? To win it all?

Let's do this Jacks fans!

SUPERBUNNY
                      MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
                        Leave that stuff to the Athletic Department and the Administration to figure out. If they can't get it figured out then we don't deserve to host the semi.

Us fans should be worried about whether or not we get 10,000 people or whatever the max is into DJDS this weekend. It would be embarrassing if we don't!!

We want to run with the big dogs (NDSU) but if we can't fill half a stadium then we are a long ways off. Just looked at the tickets available on gojacks.com and there are a LOT of seats left. We're the number 1 seed and home throughout until the championship, we shouldn't have any problem filling the stadium if it was allowed. Right now, we aren't close to half. I know, I know, it is Sunday night. We all have to work on Monday. It will be cold at night. Add any other excuse right here.

If this game was in Fargo, they would fill it full if allowed. ESPN2 and a national audience, let's show them what Bison football is all about. They'd be there and be loud as hell. They use their sellout streak and atmosphere as a huge recruiting tool up north. Why wouldn't they? Hey, kid check out what every gameday is like here. If NDSU was coming to Brookings, the game would have been sold out by now and the stadium would be 50/50 blue and green. Think they would use that as a recruiting tool too? Damn straight!

Not sure what else the AD and University can do to create an atmosphere? We have an incredible university, the best stadium, and the best team. Do we have the best fans? The time is now for us to show that we do. Not only this week, but every week.

SUPERBUNNY
                        I saw a tweet that they're letting students in free. Don't know what the max number of students would be. If it were me, I'd say the first 5,000 students get in free. They're in college, they can figure out how to social distance for themselves!
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

SUPERBUNNY
                          I'm back from a long hiatus in posting. Couldn't have said this any better. The product on the field and facilities aren't what needs upgrading. The butts in the seats are where we need the most work. I do know that when the pinnacle is finally reached, those of us that were actually along for the ride will enjoy it more. I'm in the acceptance stage where I just don't worry about attendance any longer.

Comment

SUPERBUNNY
                            The AD and the university can advertise better. I have a college kid who works for me and he didn’t even know there was a football game last week. I asked him on Thursday of last week if he was going to the game and he said what game. He said he hadn’t seen anything on campus promoting the game. There should be signs all over the place on campus and it should be on the radio and in the paper. If you aren’t a fairly avid jacks fan you have no idea there is a game this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Carolina010 View Post

The AD and the university can advertise better. I have a college kid who works for me and he didn’t even know there was a football game last week. I asked him on Thursday of last week if he was going to the game and he said what game. He said he hadn’t seen anything on campus promoting the game. There should be signs all over the place on campus and it should be on the radio and in the paper. If you aren’t a fairly avid jacks fan you have no idea there is a game this weekend.
                              No idea what the advertising is like in Brookings, so I won't comment on what AD and SDSU need to do, but it'd seem best for fans to start mentioning this to prospective attendees much earlier in the week, if we want to have any hope of influencing their attendance.

Comment

SUPERBUNNY
                                My rationale for linking to the article was to hopefully dispel any angst about Jacks' potential lost opportunity to host on 5/8. The Argus article made it pretty clear that will not be the case, as I trust many of us suspected from the beginning

As for the Bison comparison, I'd advocate forgoing that until Fall, as their attendance last week wasn't much better than Jacks', and intervening variables, such as fans still being leery of large crowds amid the pandemic and/or trying to recover from reduced/lost wages over the past year, likely compromise the validity of any Spring season comparison

I'd definitely say we should all do soul searching if Jacks win championship in a couple weeks and still struggle to attain 12-15k for every home game in Fall.

Comment

Working...
                                X