Illinois State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

No, it's a realization that their depth has been depleted during this season.

If the Valley and/or NCAA finds that Spack and the Redbirds were lying about the extent of the injuries, then punish them.
    So how is them not having adequate depth our problem? Again, would they make the exact same decision today if they were 3-1 instead of 1-3? I think we all know the answer to that.

And I don't care about punishment or frankly what the MVFC does. Again, if they were worried about depth they should have opted out at the beginning of the season. But yes, you move people around and make it work. The end of the day, the question is the same. Do they do this if they are 3-1?

Comment

Here’s a question does this ruling by the Valley open the door for other teams that are out of the playoff picture just say let’s opt out and look towards next fall?
      Go Big Go Blue ..... Go Jacks

Comment

Originally posted by SteelSD View Post

So how is them not having adequate depth our problem? Again, would they make the exact same decision today if they were 3-1 instead of 1-3? I think we all know the answer to that.

And I don't care about punishment or frankly what the MVFC does. Again, if they were worried about depth they should have opted out at the beginning of the season. But yes, you move people around and make it work. The end of the day, the question is the same. Do they do this if they are 3-1?
        The report I read suggest they've lost availability of 27 players during this season. There isn't a roster in college football that could sustain that level of attrition, and they've had position groups (e.g., DL) that have bore the brunt of it. Did you read any of the articles I'd linked to before your "gaslighting" accusation?

Comment

Originally posted by SteelSD View Post

This is one serious case of gaslighting you are doing here. If they didn't have the depth to compete this season, then opt out prior to it like ISUb did. But he felt he had a team that could compete in the season and so entered into it like everyone else. You honestly think they would be doing this if they were 3-1? Give me a break, this is giving up on a bad season and using "player health" as an excuse because what kind of a-hole would question that? An a-hole with a brain who can see this for what it really is, that's who.
          Bingo!

The only reason Spack quit is they are out of the playoffs, end of story.

If 3-1, they play through their injury situation just like many other teams over the years.

Comment

Originally posted by Gojacks2487 View Post
            Here’s a question does this ruling by the Valley open the door for other teams that are out of the playoff picture just say let’s opt out and look towards next fall?
            If they've had the level of injuries the Redbirds have. The "quitting" narrative is ignoring a fair amount of evidence that they've suffered an inordinate level of injuries and player unavailability.

Comment

The report I read suggest they've lost availability of 27 players during this season. There isn't a roster in college football that could sustain that level of attrition, and they've had position groups (e.g., DL) that have bore the brunt of it. Did you read any of the articles I'd linked to before your "gaslighting" accusation?
              But according to their own coach, that includes all the departures from this fall. Every team had significant departures due to the fall season. They didn't suffer 27 season ending/serious injuries in the last 4 weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post

But according to their own coach, that includes all the departures from this fall. Every team had significant departures due to the fall season. They didn't suffer 27 season ending/serious injuries in the last 4 weeks.
                I never said they sustained 27 injuries, but you're still refusing to acknowledge that the combination of injuries and other losses makes this more complicated than "quitting" because they can't make the playoffs.

Scratch 27 players from the Jacks' roster, and tell me this board wouldn't be melting down about coaches' roster adaptations to sustain a Spring season, and I know dang well there would be a handful calling for Stig's head for putting the Fall season at risk.

Comment

Apples to oranges -- the analogy would be more accurate if the Jacks had 2/3 of their DL on one bus that was stuck elsewhere, and the rest arrived in Macomb.

Refusal to recognize that the Redbirds were severely impacted by injuries sustained during this season is self serving. Yes, Spack has indicated concern with dual Spring and Fall seasons from the outset, but they are depleted at DL.

I hate that the Jacks lose a likely win, but the situation is more complicated than Spack not being able to deal with a couple injuries that all football coaches and staff should be aware of.

I'd ask you the same question -- if Krolikowski, Ogunrinde, and another DL of your choice for the Jacks suffered sustained injuries (one that'd put him out until 2022) with injuries to other position groups, would you want the Jacks to continue playing this Spring?
                  You can make all the excuses you want for Illinois State, but at the end of the day I don't think we have all the information, but IMHO they crapped all over the conference and will probably make others who are out of the playoff race simply opt out too.

Comment

I never said they sustained 27 injuries, but you're still refusing to acknowledge that the combination of injuries and other losses makes this more complicated than "quitting" because they can't make the playoffs.

Scratch 27 players from the Jacks roster, and tell me this board wouldn't be melting down about coaches' roster adaptations to sustain a Spring season, and I know dang well there would be a handful calling for Stig's head for putting the Fall season at risk.
                    But that's totally ignoring the coach's responsibility in this if he knew the spring season couldn't work after roster depth issues from fall departures. Spack either was aware of the depth issues and decided he had enough to make a go of it this spring only to cancel after injuries are suffered and playoffs are off the table, or he was negligent in not recognizing how thin his team was coming out of fall. If ISUr had 10 guys transfer over the summer, then had a slew of injurious through September and October, no one would be okay with this. And that's a fairly realistic scenario for roster turnover in a given year for many FCS programs.

If the Jacks were in danger of not being able to field a team due to fall departures,, I would hope they would have the good sense to be transparent about it and call it before the season started.. Why risk any more injuries at all if you know that depth is a major issue?

That's right, it's because when they started the spring, they were 0-0 and had reason to roll the dice. Now that they're 1-3, the risk isn't worth the reward anymore. That's all this is, and there is no way in hell they would have folded if they were still in the playoff hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post

You can make all the excuses you want for Illinois State, but at the end of the day I don't think we have all the information, but IMHO they crapped all over the conference and will probably make others who are out of the playoff race simply opt out too.
                      Yeah, not making excuses. I'm saying I'm not a fan of the "they quit" narrative when the facts don't necessarily support that, particularly when some of the more vocal purveyors of that were also whining about now having to play them in Normal twice (when we actually play them in 2022 in Brookings -- proof that some just like to try to prove how much they know without actually doing some research)

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post

But that's totally ignoring the coach's responsibility in this if he knew the spring season couldn't work after roster depth issues from fall departures. Spack either was aware of the depth issues and decided he had enough to make a go of it this spring only to cancel after injuries are suffered and playoffs are off the table, or he was negligent in not recognizing how thin his team was coming out of fall. If ISUr had 10 guys transfer over the summer, then had a slew of injurious through September and October, no one would be okay with this. And that's a fairly realistic scenario for roster turnover in a given year for many FCS programs.

If the Jacks were in danger of not being able to field a team due to fall departures,, I would hope they would have the good sense to be transparent about it and call it before the season started.. Why risk any more injuries at all if you know that depth is a major issue?

That's right, it's because when they started the spring, they were 0-0 and had reason to roll the dice. Now that they're 1-3, the risk isn't worth the reward anymore. That's all this is, and there is no way in hell they would have folded if they were still in the playoff hunt.
                        No, now you're trying to say the majority of the 27 player losses were prior to Spring, when some, particularly the DL, were sustained during this season (the article I linked to mentioned them losing two DL on the same play)

Comment

Spack just said 3 weeks ago that they would play "Anytime, Anywhere, Any Place" on twitter and criticized Mo St for their postponement. He is a hypocrite and should be called out for it even if they have sustained many DL injuries.

Comment

Did they lose additional DLineman this past weekend?

Comment

You know I was originally pissed off by this, then I sat back and thought about the whole thing. Our guys are going to be reporting for camp again in less than 5 months. The fewer games they have in wear and tear is good. We would have won this game. Now we have 2 weeks to get healthy and prepare for NDSU. We win out we are in the playoffs, nobody can keep us out if we win. We already had Pierre get hurt, less games, less injuries. Fall 2021 will be another push for a title so if we go in healthier, great.
                              Screw ISU and their bailing out, that is their credibility they have to deal with. We are sitting just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                                Did they lose additional DLineman this past weekend?
                                Multiple reports (e.g., this post) mentioned suffering "two more setbacks" on 3/20

Comment

Working...
                                X