Illinois State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illinois State

Have not seen this posted, but Illinois State has decided to opt out for the balance of the season. Feel really bad for our players. I'm sure it would be a different story if they were 3-1 rather than 1-3!

The only thing that bums me out about it is the loss of a trip to Brookings for a gameday. This avoids a trap game and focus on the team up North and stay/get healthier. So does this make it Improvement week then?
    Go Big Go Blue ..... Go Jacks

Comment

Originally posted by Gojacks2487 View Post
      The only thing that bums me out about it is the loss of a trip to Brookings for a gameday. This avoids a trap game and focus on the team up North and stay/get healthier. So does this make it Improvement week then?
      It was highly unlikely to be a trap game. The Redbirds' DL is decimated, so it's more likely the Jacks would've made their rushing totals against Salukis look pedestrian in comparison.

Comment

Here are my thoughts: https://jackrabbitillustrated.blogsp...nd-moving.html
        Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
          As you mentioned in your update, it's official -- Valley has announced missed Redbirds games will be "no contests"

Comment

So the MVFC supports ISUr's decision to quit while behind... Lovely...

Comment

Originally posted by SteelSD View Post
              So the MVFC supports ISUr's decision to quit while behind... Lovely...
              Can't completely blame the Valley, there's precedent by the NCAA, and if the Valley had declared it a forfeit, it opens up a can of worms regarding statistical/record inconsistencies between them and NCAA and questions as to whether the conference prioritizes player health.

As for impact on the Jacks, I hope the Valley steers clear of scheduling anything on 4/17 [unless the CAA playoff qualifier(s) commit(s) to doing so as well, as I mentioned in another thread].

Let's hope YSU gives UND another loss and the Jacks stomp the ungulates to make most of this moot.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

Can't completely blame the Valley, there's precedent by the NCAA, and if the Valley had declared it a forfeit, it opens up a can of worms regarding statistical/record inconsistencies between them and NCAA and questions as to whether the conference prioritizes player health.

As for impact on the Jacks, I hope the Valley steers clear of scheduling anything on 4/17 [unless the CAA playoff qualifier(s) commit(s) to doing so as well, as I mentioned in another thread].

Let's hope YSU gives UND another loss and the Jacks stomp the ungulates to make most of this moot.
                Yes, I understand that. What I'm shaking my head at is the "support" of a situation where a sports team is having a bad year so "quits" rather than showing competitive spirit and fighting through adversity. Maybe that should just be the thing moving forward, you have a bad year and just "opt out" of the season. Why try and build character, show determination, etc that defines what sports are about?

I realize this is a different season, but the fundamentals of what "sports" are shouldn't change. If they had positive Covid tests or something, then I totally respect the decision. But quitting if things aren't going your way just goes against what I think sports is all about.

Comment

Yes, I understand that. What I'm shaking my head at is the "support" of a situation where a sports team is having a bad year so "quits" rather than showing competitive spirit and fighting through adversity. Maybe that should just be the thing moving forward, you have a bad year and just "opt out" of the season. Why try and build character, show determination, etc that defines what sports are about?

I realize this is a different season, but the fundamentals of what "sports" are shouldn't change. If they had positive Covid tests or something, then I totally respect the decision. But quitting if things aren't going your way just goes against what I think sports is all about.
                  If the Jacks were forced to have one down DL during games and sub in LBs or OL to field a defense, would you want them to continue the season AND risk depth during the Fall?

Relatedly, if you were a parent or recruit considering that institution, would them doing so make you more or less likely to want to sign/play there?

Comment

Disagree, especially the player health part. This wasn't a covid thing, but an injury thing. And ISU, like all the other schools that decided to play this spring, knew the risks. If they were concerned with injuries, pull an ISUb and don't play...

A cancellation that was unforced due to covid or anything else out of ISU's control should be a forfeit, not a no contest. If ISU can make that decision without any implications, thenca team that arrived late to an away game, to the tune of SDSU v WIU in 2015, could declare that they aren't ready to play, player health is at risk after difficult travel, etc. and it wouldn't be a forfeit by this logic. And it doesn't matter how it would have impacted the h2h against other teams, because everyone would have benefited in this case. Instead, ISUr is let off the hook and the Jacks/UND/SIU will find themselves with a lower win percentage than NDSU through week 5, through no fault of their own. If win percentage, as opposed to number of losses, comes into the championship/playoff discussion, we just got bent over.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post

Disagree, especially the player health part. This wasn't a covid thing, but an injury thing. And ISU, like all the other schools that decided to play this spring, knew the risks. If they were concerned with injuries, pull an ISUb and don't play...

A cancellation that was unforced due to covid or anything else out of ISU's control should be a forfeit, not a no contest. If ISU can make that decision without any implications, thenca team that arrived late to an away game, to the tune of SDSU v WIU in 2015, could declare that they aren't ready to play, player health is at risk after difficult travel, etc. and it wouldn't be a forfeit by this logic. And it doesn't matter how it would have impacted the h2h against other teams, because everyone would have benefited in this case. Instead, ISUr is let off the hook and the Jacks/UND/SIU will find themselves with a lower win percentage than NDSU through week 5, through no fault of their own. If win percentage, as opposed to number of losses, comes into the championship/playoff discussion, we just got bent over.
                      Apples to oranges -- the analogy would be more accurate if the Jacks had 2/3 of their DL on one bus that was stuck elsewhere, and the rest arrived in Macomb.

Refusal to recognize that the Redbirds were severely impacted by injuries sustained during this season is self serving. Yes, Spack has indicated concern with dual Spring and Fall seasons from the outset, but they are depleted at DL.

I hate that the Jacks lose a likely win, but the situation is more complicated than Spack not being able to deal with a couple injuries that all football coaches and staff should be aware of.

I'd ask you the same question -- if Krolikowski, Ogunrinde, and another DL of your choice for the Jacks suffered sustained injuries (one that'd put him out until 2022) with injuries to other position groups, would you want the Jacks to continue playing this Spring?

Comment

If the Jacks were forced to have one down DL during games and sub in LBs or OL to field a defense, would you want them to continue the season AND risk depth during the Fall?

Relatedly, if you were a parent or recruit considering that institution, would them doing so make you more or less likely to want to sign/play there?
                        This is one serious case of gaslighting you are doing here. If they didn't have the depth to compete this season, then opt out prior to it like ISUb did. But he felt he had a team that could compete in the season and so entered into it like everyone else. You honestly think they would be doing this if they were 3-1? Give me a break, this is giving up on a bad season and using "player health" as an excuse because what kind of a-hole would question that? An a-hole with a brain who can see this for what it really is, that's who.

Comment

Apples to oranges -- the analogy would be more accurate if the Jacks had 2/3 of their DL on one bus that was stuck elsewhere, and the rest arrived in Macomb.

Refusal to recognize that the Redbirds were severely impacted by injuries sustained during this season is self serving. Yes, Spack has indicated concern with dual Spring and Fall seasons from the outset, but they are depleted at DL.

I hate that the Jacks lose a likely win, but the situation is more complicated than Spack not being able to deal with a couple injuries that all football coaches and staff should be aware of.

I'd ask you the same question -- if Krolikowski, Ogunrinde, and another DL of your choice for the Jacks suffered sustained injuries (one that'd put him out until 2022) with injuries to other position groups, would you want the Jacks to continue playing this Spring?

Yup.

Comment

This is one serious case of gaslighting you are doing here. If they didn't have the depth to compete this season, then opt out prior to it like ISUb did. But he felt he had a team that could compete in the season and so entered into it like everyone else. You honestly think they would be doing this if they were 3-1? Give me a break, this is giving up on a bad season and using "player health" as an excuse because what kind of a-hole would question that? An a-hole with a brain who can see this for what it really is, that's who.
                            No, it's a realization that their depth has been depleted during this season.

If the Valley and/or NCAA finds that Spack and the Redbirds were lying about the extent of the injuries, then punish them.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
                              [/B]

Yup.
                              Then I'd hope you'd have the self awareness not to also criticize coaches for playing OL and LBs out of position and having them dominated by opponents (and risking their own injuries) AND risking competitiveness during the Fall

Comment

Working...
                              X