UNI GDT (Spring 2021)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

Their LB corps might be better than SDSU's, but I can't say any are better than Backhaus on individual basis, and I think the Jacks have a better DL. On paper, the Jacks DBs are better to, but this game, the penalties on Jacks' CBs gave UNI an edge; I also think Jacks' safeties are better, and Stalbird deserves a game ball

That's not to say I disagree that Gronowski played well given circumstances. I merely think UNI's reputation as defensive juggernaut should be questioned
    Just goiny by historical standards. Will have to see what uni does the rest of the year but i usually count on ndsu, uni and isu-r, then a couple avg like western or usd and a couple bad ones. If they are like a normal uni team its built on defense and not much for big play offense.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post

Just goiny by historical standards. Will have to see what uni does the rest of the year but i usually count on ndsu, uni and isu-r, then a couple avg like western or usd and a couple bad ones. If they are like a normal uni team its built on defense and not much for big play offense.
      I think folks underestimated the detrimental impacts of transfers/graduations on their program. I'm hoping Youngstown surprises on Sunday.

Comment

Tale of two halves. Should have buried them in the first, and found a way to win at the end in the second. Gronowski looked pretty good and didn't make too many mistakes (fumble aside), but definitely had accuracy issues in the second half that kept us from moving the chains. If he's the guy, I hope he gets all the reps going forward. Qe need better report between him and the wide outs.

Defense was great and was placed in some short fields in the second half. Secondary was good and got jobbed on a couple calls.

I was underwhelmed with the run game. Didn't like the play calling or the execution. I know UNI is a good run d, but I felt like we relied on PSJ more than we should have, and didn't run between the tackles enough l, especially in the first half. I wanted to see more Davis and 2 back or 3 back sets. And I think we need tocfigure out how to get Meachem on the field too, since it sounds like he gives a change up. We got cute in the red zone and I think that is what cost us burying UNI in the first. Should have been 24 to 7. Clean up the fumbles, and we win it 31 to 3. Qe just cannot have turnover issues again. It's a rare day that we can go into cedar falls and be -2 in turnovers and win, so we should consider ourselves very lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
          You have Gibbs and Heide on the bench and you roll with Gronowski the whole second half? Horrible
          IMO if Gronowski is your guy you gotta ride with him. If you start pulling guys in the first game it’s just going to end up in a mess. Luckily we prevailed and think Gronowski has a really solid foundation to build on. My high school football coach used to say that your first game playing varsity will go at “light speed”. I have imagine there is some sort of the same effect moving from high school to college. And you just can’t simulate real game speed in practice. It is a whole different animal. So I really attribute some of Gronowski’s inaccuracy to the adjustment of the speed of the game. I think you will really see improvement throughout the year. Great to get a win, excited for this season. Hope the team stays focused, healthy, and continues to improve!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Any word on Krolikowski's injury?
            I saw a replay and it looked like he rolled an ankle.
            Go Big Go Blue ..... Go Jacks

Comment

Originally posted by Gojacks2487 View Post

I saw a replay and it looked like he rolled an ankle.
              Saw that too.

Speaking of replays, did you catch the one where Surrency was saying it looked like PSJ injured himself on sideline, when he'd merely lost his shoe. Relatedly, the film sessions on PSJ's shoe loss should be brutal -- I think his shoe came off at least five times

Comment

Originally posted by salemjack View Post

IMO if Gronowski is your guy you gotta ride with him. If you start pulling guys in the first game it’s just going to end up in a mess. Luckily we prevailed and think Gronowski has a really solid foundation to build on. My high school football coach used to say that your first game playing varsity will go at “light speed”. I have imagine there is some sort of the same effect moving from high school to college. And you just can’t simulate real game speed in practice. It is a whole different animal. So I really attribute some of Gronowski’s inaccuracy to the adjustment of the speed of the game. I think you will really see improvement throughout the year. Great to get a win, excited for this season. Hope the team stays focused, healthy, and continues to improve!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Tend to agree re. in game changes, unless play is atrocious early, and a change could still salvage a win.

However, the pandemic makes this season one where lineup may shuffle and adaptation between games will be essential

Comment

Really good road win. UNI might have the best defensive front seven that the Jacks will face all season. Pierre Strong was a step away from breaking a couple of big runs. Those long runs probably will come against slightly lesser teams. (It was a lot better that his low-cut shoes gave way to UNI's turf than his ankle or knee.) Mark Gronowski looked good, but he'd better start sliding on some of those runs. Hopefully Tucker Kraft and Krockett Krolikowski aren't badly injured. Great start, Jacks!
                  This space for lease.

Comment

Was anyone else surprised that UNI didn't burn a couple of timeouts when the Jacks had the ball on the goal-line ? I would rather have a minute and a half and no timeouts to work with than 19 seconds.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                      Was anyone else surprised that UNI didn't burn a couple of timeouts when the Jacks had the ball on the goal-line ? I would rather have a minute and a half and no timeouts to work with than 19 seconds.
                      Farley is notoriously bad at time management. Still it was surprising. Can't believe he let us drain it down like that. He basically guaranteed us either the tie or the win.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post

Farley is notoriously bad at time management. Still it was surprising. Can't believe he let us drain it down like that. He basically guaranteed us either the tie or the win.
                        He was asked about this postgame (at approx. 2:50 mark) and essentially said he was going for the win, particularly after the first stop after long pass. He indicated he didn't want to burn the first one "too early" after the pass, which I suppose I can understand, but I agree that "you can't take 'em with you," and I would certainly have called at least one of them after the second goal line stop to save as much of the 37 seconds as possible. Of course, if the Jacks hadn't taken their TO after the play, it'd essentially necessitate taking 2nd one immediately, but still, you save at least enough time for one more play if/when offense takes field

Comment

Any news on the TE Kraft injury?
                          Go Big Go Blue ..... Go Jacks

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
                            You have Gibbs and Heide on the bench and you roll with Gronowski the whole second half? Horrible
                            For the record, this is an atrocious take.
                            Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post

For the record, this is an atrocious take.
                              Willing to bet a scoop or two of Hobo Crunch ice cream similar statements were made about having Lujan on bench when Christion struggled.

Gronowski did nothing to suggest to me he can't help Jacks win games, and I think we're all fortunate to have him as a viable option for Spring season. If nothing else, it gives Gibbs more time to recover and Heide time to work on touch/accuracy to make the competition for Fall 2021 starter even better, which only helps the team.

Comment

Willing to bet a scoop or two of Hobo Crunch ice cream similar statements were made about having Lujan on bench when Christion struggled.

Gronowski did nothing to suggest to me he can't help Jacks win games, and I think we're all fortunate to have him as a viable option for Spring season. If nothing else, it gives Gibbs more time to recover and Heide time to work on touch/accuracy to make the competition for Fall 2021 starter even better, which only helps the team.
                                The important thing about Gronowski is that he didn't make bad decisions. There are some correctable things that will happen with more experience. I think he needs to get some touch on the short passes - he threw a few of the 5 or 10 yarders so hard that they were difficult to catch. And ball security needs to be a priority when he gets out of the pocket.. But he was very impressive for a true freshman in his first action.

Comment

Working...
                                X