No announcement yet.

Hypothetical National Title Fornat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the idea of a Spring season is an absolute fallacy and I seriously doubt that a playoff championship for FCS will be happening in May. Personally, I think I'd rather just play a conference (Or Dakota-Montana only) schedule this fall and call it. Spring playoffs seem far fetched at best.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
      Reports out that both Big Sky and Pioneer are not playing this fall. That should just about do it.
      Pioneer faced an uphill slog in terms of resources, geographic dispersion, and locations in states/localities experiencing increased incidence.

Be interesting to see influence Patty V. being dual MVFC-Pioneer commish had on today's events (e.g., allowing the Valley to "punt" on the decision knowing Pioneer would likely cancel season)
      Last edited by jakejc795; 08-07-2020, 05:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
        I think the idea of a Spring season is an absolute fallacy and I seriously doubt that a playoff championship for FCS will be happening in May. Personally, I think I'd rather just play a conference (Or Dakota-Montana only) schedule this fall and call it. Spring playoffs seem far fetched at best.
        I agree on the spring schedule. I have doubts that the eastern (Illinois, Indiana, Ohio) Valley schools will play this fall. The regional cross-conference fall schedule sounds like the best possible solution available.

Comment

Honestly, for the first time in my life, I think it would be better if the Jacks were FBS. I hate the idea of not playing for a playoff, and I'd really prefer to see a morphed G5/ Upper FCS with a playoff format first, but being tied to a division with schools like the Ivy, SWAC, etc. that don't participate in the playoffs, plus non-scholly leagues and underfunded commuter schools like PSU or Sac State, just makes me think that we should be looking elsewhere. There are around 30ish schools in the FCS that SDSU shares commonality with in regards to enrollment, academics, athletics, etc. But we don't fit with the rest of the division. I'm not trying to make an argument about the feasibility of an FBS move or where we would even go, but I'm tired of being in a division where the power structure is shared among schools with extremely divergent ideas about athletics, football, and their role in the campus community.

It came out yesterday that the Ivy League would count in the number of teams used to reach the 50% threshold determined by the NCAA for playoff viability. Why on God's green earth would a league that actively rejects the FCS playoff have any bearing on their viability for this fall. Absolutely ridiculous.

When the Big Sky announced yesterday that fall football was a no go, the vote was 8 to 5. I can jist about bet that the 5 that voted for fall football were UM, MSU, Weber, NAU, and SUU. In the CAA, you see the same thing with JMU, Nova, Elon, etc. The FCS is made up of schools with a very broad range of goals, and I hope the covid fallout creates some separation for achools like SDSU from schools like Portland State.

I dont want to have the only goal for the postseason to be playing in .com bowl, but i respect the G5 conferences that are at least attempting to play this fall because they aren't hamstrung by the NCAA fall championship format.

Comment

Honestly, for the first time in my life, I think it would be better if the Jacks were FBS. I hate the idea of not playing for a playoff, and I'd really prefer to see a morphed G5/ Upper FCS with a playoff format first, but being tied to a division with schools like the Ivy, SWAC, etc. that don't participate in the playoffs, plus non-scholly leagues and underfunded commuter schools like PSU or Sac State, just makes me think that we should be looking elsewhere. There are around 30ish schools in the FCS that SDSU shares commonality with in regards to enrollment, academics, athletics, etc. But we don't fit with the rest of the division. I'm not trying to make an argument about the feasibility of an FBS move or where we would even go, but I'm tired of being in a division where the power structure is shared among schools with extremely divergent ideas about athletics, football, and their role in the campus community.

It came out yesterday that the Ivy League would count in the number of teams used to reach the 50% threshold determined by the NCAA for playoff viability. Why on God's green earth would a league that actively rejects the FCS playoff have any bearing on their viability for this fall. Absolutely ridiculous.

When the Big Sky announced yesterday that fall football was a no go, the vote was 8 to 5. I can jist about bet that the 5 that voted for fall football were UM, MSU, Weber, NAU, and SUU. In the CAA, you see the same thing with JMU, Nova, Elon, etc. The FCS is made up of schools with a very broad range of goals, and I hope the covid fallout creates some separation for achools like SDSU from schools like Portland State.

I dont want to have the only goal for the postseason to be playing in .com bowl, but i respect the G5 conferences that are at least attempting to play this fall because they aren't hamstrung by the NCAA fall championship format.
            The NCAA and conferences erred in not stridently and proactively advocating enhanced test production and augmented contact tracing when March Madness was canceled.

Had they unified with coalitions including universities (that would likely need to test faculty, students, and staff to have in-person classes anyway) and entities not directly connected to athletics, pressure could've been exerted to ramp up the necessary production that might've staunched the virus and made a fall season more feasible.

If argument is that we expected to have the virus managed by now, epidemiologists expect we will face similar situations and will require such testing and tracing infrastructure in the future.

The cost of testing was one factor cited as barrier to FCS fall season, so I'm interested in how you think the Jacks could afford that were they to jump to FBS level.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

The NCAA and conferences erred in not stridently and proactively advocating enhanced test production and augmented contact tracing when March Madness was canceled.

Had they unified with coalitions including universities (that would likely need to test faculty, students, and staff to have in-person classes anyway) and entities not directly connected to athletics, pressure could've been exerted to ramp up the necessary production that might've staunched the virus and made a fall season more feasible.

If argument is that we expected to have the virus managed by now, epidemiologists expect we will face similar situations and will require such testing and tracing infrastructure in the future.

The cost of testing was one factor cited as barrier to FCS fall season, so I'm interested in how you think the Jacks could afford that were they to jump to FBS level.
              It's hard to believe that 6 months into this pandemic, with all the resources and technology that the US has, that people all over the country are waiting a week or longer to get test results.

Comment

They're going to start dropping next week. Rumor is that the MAC will be first. We'll see how many more go after that. It won't surprise me in the least if the entire G5 ends up cancelling/postponing. I'm not sure what the P5 will end up doing. They have enough money at stake and the TV contracts to try and maybe make it work. At the end of the day, I don't think the G5 does.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammersmith View Post

They're going to start dropping next week. Rumor is that the MAC will be first. We'll see how many more go after that. It won't surprise me in the least if the entire G5 ends up cancelling/postponing. I'm not sure what the P5 will end up doing. They have enough money at stake and the TV contracts to try and maybe make it work. At the end of the day, I don't think the G5 does.
                  Some in the media have asserted frustration with NCAA could lead P5 to "secede" from NCAA. If that were to happen, I'd be curious if it could lead to some G5 schools dropping to FCS. Relatedly, I wonder if FCS teams may pursue increased regionalization, and should that happen, I'd propose having teams like St. Thomas, NDSU, SDSU, UND, USD, MSU (Cats), UM (Grizz), UNC, ideally UNI, and maybe an FBS team like Wyoming, Kansas or Iowa State form a new FCS conference to reduce travel costs. Leaving the Valley would be drastic change, but we could make them and former Big Sky teams the consistent noncon opponents

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post

It's hard to believe that 6 months into this pandemic, with all the resources and technology that the US has, that people all over the country are waiting a week or longer to get test results.
                    Agreed, and I'd hope that the prevailing opinion isn't merely hope the virus will abate by spring. From a purely FB perspective, hopefully someone at the NCAA is approaching NFL and saying something like "look, you may have a hundreds of kids opting out to pursue 2021 draft, but if you want to avoid similar chaos moving forward, let's work together to use philanthropic options like NFL Foundation to increase access to testing and tracing so that we can stabilize situations at our institutions that end up supplying you with players and have college football in 2021." Of course, similar appeals to Congress are essential as well.

Comment

I am doubtful we see MVFC football this spring. In the Dakota' s spring does not start in February or even March. With graduation sometimes coming as early as May 1, this does not leave much of a realistic timeframe to complete a round robin or near completion of one. Baseball often has a tight schedule to complete conference play. Fortunately for baseball, there are the southern trips even to Sioux Falls to get the games in. Football is very much different. I suppose the Sanford complex could some how be stretched to a 100 yard field and we could play in that facility with distance seating. Lots of details to be worked out. They have my money for a club seat. I am not holding my breathe nor looking for a refund in the mail.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                        I am doubtful we see MVFC football this spring. In the Dakota' s spring does not start in February or even March. With graduation sometimes coming as early as May 1, this does not leave much of a realistic timeframe to complete a round robin or near completion of one. Baseball often has a tight schedule to complete conference play. Fortunately for baseball, there are the southern trips even to Sioux Falls to get the games in. Football is very much different. I suppose the Sanford complex could some how be stretched to a 100 yard field and we could play in that facility with distance seating. Lots of details to be worked out. They have my money for a club seat. I am not holding my breathe nor looking for a refund in the mail.
                        Average March temperatures in Brookings are comparable to November, but did you read they wanted to complete the tournament in early May?

While weather is definitely a concern, I would be more concerned with seniors opting out and leaving the roster depleted. Perhaps that could be addressed by offering them an additional year of eligibility and having an ad hoc redshirt revision to apply to 2021 incoming freshman allowing more than four games (maybe 6-8) if the plan is to play dual spring/fall seasons in 2021.

As for season tickets, I've been told options would be presented once the NCAA and conference made a decision, and I would hope they'd be similar to what was done at Penn State, and I'd happily roll over my payment to apply to 2021 tickets. You may notice the Nittany Lions are offering bonus priority points for either "non-refund" option, similar to the Jackrabbit Club point discussion mentioned earlier on this forum.

Comment

I have seen a plan being discussed starting season mid March and ending late May, early June.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                            I have seen a plan being discussed starting season mid March and ending late May, early June.
                            That's similar to what I'd seen. It still wouldn't address the NFL Draft conundrum (assuming the NFL continues to refuse to reschedule that), which is slated for 4/29-5/1/21

Comment

The MAC becomes the first FBS conference to postpone to spring. Have to think more G5's will follow. Word is the Big Ten presidents are holding a phone meeting today, and that some favor moving to spring. They have told teams to hold off on contact practices for the time being.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

Average March temperatures in Brookings are comparable to November, but did you read they wanted to complete the tournament in early May?

While weather is definitely a concern, I would be more concerned with seniors opting out and leaving the roster depleted. Perhaps that could be addressed by offering them an additional year of eligibility and having an ad hoc redshirt revision to apply to 2021 incoming freshman allowing more than four games (maybe 6-8) if the plan is to play dual spring/fall seasons in 2021.

As for season tickets, I've been told options would be presented once the NCAA and conference made a decision, and I would hope they'd be similar to what was done at Penn State, and I'd happily roll over my payment to apply to 2021 tickets. You may notice the Nittany Lions are offering bonus priority points for either "non-refund" option, similar to the Jackrabbit Club point discussion mentioned earlier on this forum.
                                There are ton of details that I never thought much about. I like the option of converting season ticket into a charitable contribution. Since have enough deductions to do the long form, this will work for me. I am 90th in priority points so no problems there. It’s going to be odd to start the season in thermal wear and end in t shirts, just the reverse of fall. Some of you have more communication with the staff than I do. Right now I don’t have any. Thank You for sharing.

Comment

Working...
                                X